Honda of America Mfg. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Tomomi Kosaka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent resume builder clean environment and great pay and benefits for the full time associate (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay, overtime, hours, good location, nice people, not too boring (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• You have to be on the buddy system to get promoted and management likes to enforce rules that they can't even follow (in 5 reviews)

"Hard work will get you no where here."

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Vacation, Holidays off, Pay, Medical Benefits, Sometimes you get a bonus but It doesn't amount to what the Ohio plants get.

Cons

I started working for Honda Manufacturing of Indiana when it first opened its doors. I worked there for 3.5 years and had enough. I was a regular production worker in quality with a 4 year degree. I thought since there was only a limited people in my department that had a college degree, my chances of advancing were good. I was wrong. The manager of the department valued ass kissers over hard workers. Then when 2nd shift came around they started promoting the slow lazy employees to get them off the line. I never had any feedback about my performance with Honda. They don't respect hard working employees or recognize it. They also have a open door policy that doesn't exist. Ive seen many employees go to management with problems then later terminated.

Advice to Management

Respect and recognize your hard working employees. I cant speak for other departments management, but this department got a bad manager handed down from Ohio that would not go away.

"Good for a couple years"

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in East Liberty, OH

Pros

Good starter job
    Looks good on resume
    Most people are friendly
    There is nothing else remotely PRO about working for this company.

Cons

With each promotion your dollar/hour worked decreases.
    Promotions awarded based on amount of brown-nosing or who you know and even then they are few and far between.
    Performance review system is a joke. Ratings determined before reviews are given.
    Benefits have been cut to average and pay is below average.
    Complete idiots hold most of the mid to senior level management positions. Most of these people have no engineering or technical background.
    If you're good at a job, expect to stay in that job for the rest of your career.
    Absolutely NO work/home balance. If you plan to have a family STAY AWAY.
    600 hrs of OT a year. Work 75% of all weekends and holidays.
    All this and a 1% pay increase every year, what's inflation going for these days?

Advice to Management

As if they would take the time to listen and act to advice? For example, professionally approached my department manager about pay increase. After I listened to him whine about how much he makes....... said he would talk to some people and get back with me. After 3 months, still waiting. Goodbye Honda.

"26 Years For What??"

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits (if your allowed to use them or not cheated out of them)
    Yearly Bonus
    Other than money there are no Pros.

Cons

Managers are more like prison wardens. "Respect for the individual" is no longer used except in the company's vision statement!

Currently the company is doing everything possible to eliminate those getting close to retirement!
    Seniority counts for nothing and experience is not considered. Job assignments and shift preference are not given out on time of service or experience; it’s not what you know it’s who you know.
    Promotions and favored positions are given only to the “Good Ole Boys” using the tight buddy system.

Evaluations are a joke, they are not used to improve performance or praise good performance; but used as a tool to cover managements short comings at your expense.

HR and CC are of no use to anyone. The open door policy, means if you don’t like it; there is the front door, don’t let it hit you on the way out.

In-house product quality is poor due to inconsistency of training, fatigued workers and outdated/poorly maintenanced equipment.

Honda is a good name to have on your resume but don’t waste your life here. The Honda family as it was once known, no longer exist, you will pay with your mind and body if not your life.

Advice to Management

Get off your ass "Go to the Spot", share in the associates "3 Joys"!

Quit shooting down your people just because they know more than you! Take the time to walk in their shoes if only for a few minutes!

Jumping in and helping a line associate will go a long way in improving your image!

This is the worst management I've ever seen in my entire career at Honda! Rude, obnoxious, with a holier than thou attitude.

"Run for your life!!"

Current Employee - Production Associate in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to talk to your co-workers during the work day.

Cons

Monotonous, mind-numbing, work; low wages; no advancement; your life belongs to Honda - family, school, outside interests - say "Adios, Amigos!"; 6 day work weeks common (and after a while, time and a half is not very motivating); most of staff is contingency - don't even THINK of being hired on as a Honda associate, and that is the only way to earn a good wage here; benefits STINK! Don't even THINK about getting sick. Keep a close eye on your paycheck each week......

Advice to Management

Who is running this circus?? The "new robots" we have can't be fixed, and you're getting more new ones?? I'll never see the end of a work day!!

"You're a Hondroid - which means you are disposable"

Former Employee - Honda Associate in East Liberty, OH
    Former Employee - Honda Associate in East Liberty, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started in 1997 the Japanese ran the company, the place ran like a well-oiled machine. It was always right man, right job. Benefits and pay were good.

Cons

Americans took over, now no one knows what they're doing, you get the job if you kiss booty, no loyalty to me as an exemplary employee. I had 15 years perfect attendance, was moved to different departments because I would encourage and "fix" the department, and constantly told what a good employee I was... until I tore my shoulder on-line. They threw me away like trash.

Advice to Management

Quit paying the attorneys and Private Investigators to try and "catch" me doing something wrong... and use that money to fix my shoulder so I can get well and get back to work!

"Not a great company. Engineers beware"

Current Employee - Chassis Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Chassis Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH

Pros

Overtime and extra days off.

Cons

Soul sucking work. When you turn 30 you will realize that you made a terrible mistake and you are now a Honda slave. Engineers are treated with contempt and used as general labor. If you are on the fence about the company like I was. Avoid it. I mad a terrible mistake and wasted a year of my life.

Advice to Management

Change your ways. HR has been know to use unethical practices

7. "Honda should follow their own words."

Pros

The plant is in Marysville. The country is nice

Cons

Ever since I have known of Honda manufacturing, its been filled with mediocre skill sets and men who cant wait to say they dawned the uniform. Any uniform you wear is a good one, even the uniform of truth can save you alot of headache down the road.

Ever since I was young and two guys were drunk and crashed their Goldwings in uniform down the road and tried to enter my mothers home because they were upset, I haven't had any respect for that uniform or people that burst up in your life trying to run everything. As a matter of fact through life it has caused the greatest amount of pain because of hyped up, half realized thoughts they cant bring to life.

I can tell you why 90% of College students don't stay at Honda. Because Honda was introduced to them in a harsh way from past experiences and all they want is to find an answer to how Honda acts and does business. One day that younger kid is going to sit down at your desk and that younger female is going to look better than you and REPLACE YOU.

The only reason Honda acts as if they know everybody is because every department over at Honda is fighting to survive and that makes people half crazy. I know because I have dawned the uniform.

The recalls and stuff happening are because of Honda lack of attention to detail that they scorn every other worker out here for having and lack of experience for understanding all the headache Honda has come up with itself and expects everybody to understand.

The company is like any other company except for at Honda they believe they work harder and all they are doing is biding their time. Oh good, you manipulated people into believing that your company is an oasis and with the Recalls people know the truth, people know the truth with the bad attitudes.

Advice to Management

Keep replacing yourselves with a better you......LOL

"Unprofessional work environment"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits, fitness center, credit union and a clean work environment for manufacturing

Cons

This is a very unprofessional environment to work in. Training is nonexistent. The employees that have been around for years are will not be willing to mentor or train you. Their thought process is that “it took me 8 years to learn my job, why should I teach it to you.” Although this company is supposed to be a flat organization, the only aspect of being flat is that everyone wears the same white uniform. People are put in management positions based on either who they know or the number of years they have worked for the company. Lack of leadership skills is evident throughout the organization, in addition to the lack of respect for others. If you are looking for work/life balance, this is not the company that will provide it.

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

"Stepping Stone. Not a Good Long Term Choice."

Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Stable job.
    - Great 401K
    - Pays great for entry level

If you are looking for stability you found it, but you won't find much else.

Cons

- Terrible work life balance
    - Weak management system.
    - Top heavy for no reason
    - Flat compensation for everyone.
    - Company values are hardly observed.
    - All reactive activity. Very little proactive activity.
    - Work becomes mundane quickly.
    - Drama, Drama, Drama. More drama than days of our lives.......

Advice to Management

Go to the spot and actually see what is happening..... Understand the processes and the people. Consider giving rewards to those who perform. Focus on training. Training that will help people think and make good decisions. Learn to actually convey your values daily.....

10. "Mechanical Engineer"

Pros

Pay is a lot higher than many other job in the area.

Cons

Management put under way to much pressure and completely overwhelmed. Terrible work environment and terrible place to work.