Honda of America Mfg. Reviews | Glassdoor

Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent resume builder clean environment and great pay and benefits for the full time associate (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay, overtime, hours, good location, nice people, not too boring (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• You have to be on the buddy system to get promoted and management likes to enforce rules that they can't even follow (in 5 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

Pros

Great place to work. Good benifits and salary

Cons

Some long days from time to time

Advice to Management

Nonnne

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Great Benefits. Nice Bonus. Paid OT even when on salary

Cons

Other than what was mentioned in Pro there isn't much to this place. This place will totally drain the life out of you. There's 2 types of people. First type are people who are content with the boring task they do everyday and don't mind going through the motions because they get a good paycheck. The second type are completely bored out of their minds. Can't stand management and their ridiculous policies they hold you to. As a buyer you will not do much. You will have a slight level of responsibility, but that's about it. Every moment of your day will be completely planned, watched, and monitored by management. You will all eat at the same time as well. Your ideas will be asked for by management, but will ultimately be ignored and management will do as they please. They also like to tell you one thing and do another. Several people in my department have been promised things (move to another department, promotions, etc.) all to have nothing come from it. If you do choose to go to a different department and get an offer to do so, your manager can step in and refuse to let you transfer. There is this attitude around here that this is how it has been and always will be. Also management will play favorites I have watched plenty of people I work with who are very smart not get projects, promotions, etc because they are not buddy buddy with their supervisor. In all if your just looking for a place to get some experience on your resume with a recognized company then it is worth the struggle. Other than that I wouldn't. There are a lot of young people in my department who are sticking around for just that, and plan on leaving as soon as they can. There's nothing mind stimulating about this job, a high school drop out could do it.

Advice to Management

You have gone so far away from the values that are written right behind you area in the office. There is clear favoritism which is Sad, I have not been a victim of it. But I still see it everyday and it's pathetic. You will continue to lose good young smart people to this. Management should not be buddy buddy with associates. You should t be hanging out outside of work, it's a clear conflict of interest. Challenge your associates. Giving them mind numbing remedial work everyday is not good for moral. Nor is holding them to the same standards of a line worker. That is just plain ridiculous. Your wayyy overstaffed but none of you have the strategic line of thinking to even see it. The amount of money that could be saved in both salaries and benefits is huge. Currently there are 20+ people in a department that could be ran by 10-12 people. It's a huge shame the culture you have created. Maybe once you have a high enough attrition rate you'll see it too.

3. "Engineering Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company. Great exposure to all facets of the business world.

Cons

Professional growth pace and pay.

Advice to Management

Reward associate performance and output accordingly.

"Proud to wear the "H""

Former Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Lots of extras (fitness center, car program, etc.). Employees are proud of their products.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough. Especially when demand is high.

Advice to Management

I understand the management structure being lean but the engineer level could use some more heads. Lots of engineers are working way too many hours.

5. "claims analyst"

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Torrance, CA

Pros

stable low stress environment the company has strong customer service values and they seem to care about the quality of product and the service they provide to their costomers

Cons

no room to move up if you are a contractor no benefits. only 3 days of sick time

"Honda was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I developed skills and experience to allow me go elsewhere, developed many friendships though my years there

Cons

Pay well under industry standard, work a lot of overtime, management is selected by favorites and playing the corporate games, benefits are consistently becoming lower and they attempt to make it appear as though they are giving you more (i.e.: using PTO in 2 hour increments, extra bereavement days), lack of respect from management, quality is decreasing

"Good job overall."

Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay great benefits. If you do your job and show up to work you won't have any problems. Usually the people that complain don't like to work. Nicest bonuses and family festival usually at cedar point or kings island

Cons

Sometimes upper management expects more from associates than what is possible. You have about 50 seconds to complete a process and 55 seconds worth of work. It does eventually get fixed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates about how processes should be run. Maybe say hello every once and awhile also!

8. "Honda mfg"

Former Employee - Contractor in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Contractor in Delaware, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company, good benefits and people

Cons

Location is too far away from most cities

9. "For a company this size I was really disappointed."

Former Employee - Engineering Staff in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Staff in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work as much paid overtime as you want. You never have to ask if you can work over, you just do and they will pay you.

If you don't borrow vacation your first year and work over shutdown, you could end up with a lot of vacation. I had 4 weeks going into my 2nd year.

Cons

I was there for a year and a half and was never assigned a single project. Every day I came to work not knowing what I was going to be doing that day. There doesn't seem to be any job responsibilities, people just do whatever they think needs done. Whether its productive or not.

I was hired as an engineer but the engineers there are not what you would expect. A majority of them are people who came off the production line, so they don't really have much engineering knowledge. During my year review, my manager actually said he wanted me to be a machine operator and go through that training because I didn't know how to fix a machine fault. I had already done the training the first two months I started but lost some of the knowledge since I didn't use any of it for the following 10 months. He wanted me to do it again though. That sort of training and fixing broken machines (as in replacing parts) is mainly what I did there. I considered it to be more of a maintenance position.

Also, moral seems to be extremely low here. I don't think I could mention one person who could say they enjoyed there job. Very few people have good things to say about the place.

Advice to Management

Engineering department needs to be fixed, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that though. Moral needs to improved, it makes for a long work week being with unhappy people.

10. "Have to be efficient"

Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH

Pros

Pays for overtime and treats everyone almost equally.

Cons

Have to be efficient in utilizing technical and engineering skills. Usually hire less experienced employees to make sure no outsider with experience would displace them from their thrones.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced people who could bring new ideas to the team. Also, try to make people work in their stipulated time, so that the overtime is not being abused by extending 3 hr work to 10 hr work.