Honeywell Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Honeywell President and CEO Darius Adamczyk
Darius Adamczyk

Pros
  • Work/life balance that enables increased output and loyalty (in 357 reviews)

• Good work culture, flexible job timings , good company for freshers (in 123 reviews)

1. "Fast Environment"

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rapid career progression is possible

Cons

very demanding culture with little work life balance

Advice to Management

People are an asset.

2. "ACST -- Golden Valley, Minnesota"

I worked at Honeywell full-time

Pros

Honeywell is a great place for somebody who would prefer to sit back and produce literally nothing of value for years or even decades. Across Honeywell, I saw many who had mastered the art of looking busy while contributing almost nothing (aka, fake work). This is a place for someone who wants to fill their schedule with travel of dubious value or purpose.

Cons

Overall, a truly awful place to work. This is a review primarily of the ACST group, previously called SRDC and then CSTC. It will probably be renamed and re-shuffled several more times in the next 5 years. Regardless of the name, it is the group composed primarily of defense contractors in Golden Valley, MN.

The defense/gov contractors get priority here. Anyone who wants to work on commercial products for regular consumers gets pushed aside. This group is simply a group of panhandlers for corporate welfare from the government.

Management is incompetent. There is almost no direction from the higher ups. The only guiding motto is, paraphrasing: get more government money, and keep your work secret. The group is so heavily compartmentalized that almost no one works together. There is little sharing of knowledge and skills. I heard that some new employees sit around doing nothing with no direction. I don't feel that management encouraged or cared about my work.

Management (across Honeywell) is slow at making any decisions and cannot move on opportunities. Bureaucracy is a problem.

In my opinion, management, especially in ACST, is unethical and unprofessional.

Gossip is a problem in ACST.

The benefits at Honeywell are the worst of any company I’ve seen. The company’s new vacation policy of “whatever number of days the employee feels like taking” was an obvious theft of everyone’s vacation time. The health insurance is terrible with the highest deductibles and premiums of any company I’ve seen. The required health screenings are awkward. Every year, management announces some new reduction in benefits. This year, they stopped subsidizing dental insurance.

Despite Honeywell being founded and based in America, the broader company seems to be giving American jobs to other countries as vigorously as possible. Globalization is one of their primary goals. The outsourcing of American work is just driven by greed.

In my opinion, Honeywell was at its peak circa 1960. The company has very little in-house innovation today. The products they’re in, such as thermostats, jet engines, barcode readers, and gas burners, are old technology. Honeywell just buys newer companies. When I think of high tech companies, Honeywell does not come to mind.

In the broader Honeywell, I’ve seen many layoffs, furloughs, and pay freezes.

Advice to Management

Management should take reports of mistreatment and unfair treatment more seriously. The victim is usually telling the truth.

"Lots of opportunities but too large"

Current Employee - Materials Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Materials Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities and movement is encouraged. Good training opportunities, and a lot of great people. The company is very global.

Cons

Senior management seems to be short-term focused. There have been several rounds of layoffs and furloughs in the last year.

5. "Going down hill at a increasing spread."

Current Employee - Engineering in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Almost impossible to get fired. Get a job out of school work there for a year and move on. Flexible work schedule is only positive.

Cons

Expectations and resources do not align. The good people leave. Prior close to retirement and the worthless stay. Soon no one who knows anything will be left

Advice to Management

Why? They listen to no one.

"Constant Squeeze on Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When working on important programs, there is lots of money for tooling and prototypes.

Cons

No money for raises. Frequent years with no merit increases for the whole company. Limited advancement opportunities for non-software technical talent. Most future US hiring now targeting Atlanta. Most technical hiring is now in Mexico or China. Product management frequently makes major changes mid-program, but demands schedules not change resulting in long days and working weekends.

Everyone expects new "unlimited" vacation policy will be used to severely limit vacation taken. Every year the benefits are significantly reduced. In 2017 we lost the company contribution to dental, earned vacation, and flexibility to work from home, even occasionally. In previous years we had already been limited to expensive high deductible health plans, lost our company contribution for vision, lost our company contribution to our HSA, and lost the ability to borrow from our 401(k).

Morale is so low that employees openly discuss state of their job search.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people! Stop the squeeze on benefits and salaries. We seem to have unlimited money for developing product, but you can't manage to find money for raises. You tell us schedule is number 1, then send us home for a unpaid furlough for a week and expect us to make up lost time with our evenings and weekends. Respect your employees!

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours although that may change
    I work with great people and my local managers are excellent
    Celebrity CEO recently retired
    Decent pay although most likely below market rates if you stay there for too long

Cons

Unlimited vacation policy started this year, it is not unlimited and most employees will probably not get approved (yes you need to be approved for all vacation even though it's unlimited) for as much as they used to be entitled to. Medical costs have skyrocketed faster than the industry. No dental. 401k match permanently reduced to 75% of what it used to be. Bonuses permanently reduced to 50% of what they were and will most likely be eliminated in the next few years. Basically all benefits have been drastically cut. Multiple furlough each year with little advanced notice. Layoffs multiple times in the last year and now not enough people to complete the work. My 55 hour weeks went to 60+ due to reduction in force and programs have been put off or cancelled. No more remote working makes it difficult to work long hours and many of the best engineers are leaving due to the change. Its also caused severe over-crowding in outdated facilities. No career advancement opportunities, In my 10+ years I only saw one promotion and it was from engineer 1 to 2. Little to no merit increases (even with great performance reviews) and investment. Lots of red tape due to top leadership micromanaging every division. Going back to school was discouraged and no time with the amount of extra hours required to complete projects on reduced schedules. Former CEO bled the employees dry to make Wall Street happy and it will have severe consequences over the next 5 to 10 years. Every reason I started working for Honeywell has been taken away and I no longer see it as a company I plan to retire from, there are just too many better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees as much as you do on Wall Street.
    Top leadership should see employees as an asset to the company instead of a number. Site leadership is great but has their hand tied.
    Schedule programs to account for 40 hour work weeks instead of insisting people work 60+ in order to reduce head count and schedule. Everyone is burnt out and short term mindsets are going to cause long term issues as top talent migrates to better opportunities and a better work-life balance.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Honeywell ECC- Golden Valley, MN

Cons

Middle Management is real beyond week. HR protects these management associates no matter what evidence the employee provided.
    Stubbornness cause them to lose so many talented people and kept the losers!!!

Advice to Management

too late to fix!!!

9. "Planner"

Current Employee - Planner in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Planner in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is very challenging and every day is different.

Cons

Workforce Reduction forces us to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Hire more planners to help with reduce inventory, be proactive instead of reactive to part shortages.

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

International company, variety of work, growth and developement

Cons

Outsourcing, cutting benefits, these are the only cons

Advice to Management

Make sure to value your employees and stop taking away benefits and not giving raises.

"Tech"

Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good wages, clean environment

Cons

Greedy Ceo and upper management. Although wages are not bad the company takes and takes from the middle class people who make the money for them. They want to keep them down instead of rewarding them for all their hard work. Young people / new hires don't get pensions, long term emploees get their pensions froze, while the CEO make over 50 million with the stock options and bonuses. It's wrong.

Advice to Management

Get back to being the company that cares about their employees. Quit being so greedy and give the new hires the pensions they deserve. Stop keeping all the money for your selves.

Showing 138 of 4,641 reviews