Honeywell Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote
David M. Cote

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely poor work-life balance and you would be asked to work like a dog with little or no appreciation (in 164 reviews)

• No work life balance; late night meetings is habit across organization (in 44 reviews)

"Great employee development"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Honeywell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While my time at Honeywell was limited, you can tell that employee development and career advancement was an important part of Honeywell-- from the SMART review system to the employee training/skills development programs--you could tell that it was an integral part of the company. They also offer and in some ways promote changing positions within the company through their internal job search system.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, the opportunities to continue to work at a great company was cut short due to their unwillingness to allow for remote work/telecommuting--even though many of the projects that I would manage would be at remote locations (e.g. - not in the home office) and spent most of my time communicating with people on the phone of via Lync around the world. In my humble opinion, this type of position could very well be conducted from almost anywhere, especially with current technological advancements.

Advice to Management

See the cons section. Not all positions require the employee to report into an office everyday, nor do they require the employee to be local to the home office.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other than the people on my team, there is NONE!!!!

Cons

2 raises in 7 years and those were a pathetic 2%!!! Furloughs, layoffs, management turnover is incredible, because they just keep forcing them into early retirement if they can't improve sales and growth.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!!! Good people are leaving left and right because their is no incentive to perform! Quit bragging about the bottom line and start paying decent wages and give us a reason to stay!

"run, do not walk to the next comapny"

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are here, find a new company

Cons

Do not come here if you are smart

5. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Honeywell is a good employer - provides opportunities for all of the training you can handle - referring to CBT type courses. This ranges for Agile, PMP, Six-sigma, MS Office, etc.. The people are good to work with and there is opportunity to gain experience in diverse control projects, fire alarm, and security. They have a good 401k plan and incentives

Cons

Honeywell is process driven to an excess - gets bogged down with a lot of corporate baggage, i.e. check box type reporting. Internal product support is cumbersome, slow, and difficult. Sales teams are not held accountable for omissions which places the burden on the Project Management Team to deliver under budget. There is too much overhead to compete with smaller companies in the highly competitive controls market unless it is a very large project.

Advice to Management

Streamline the processes to bring a project from RFQ phase to estimate review, hold sales team accountable for estimates. Streamline the support process without adding additional burden on projects in process. Streamline skills assessment and reviews for direct reports into a more realistic and functional format - the process is very time consuming and provides strict guidelines that provide limited value.

"Project Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Project Accounting Manager in Morris Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Accounting Manager in Morris Plains, NJ

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Robust systems and commitment to using data efficiently.

Cons

People are treated like cattle; benefits are 2nd rate at best; there is no heart at Honeywell. While employed there, my husband died in a tragic accident. The company did nothing to acknowledge the tragedy to me and my family. (Note my coworkers and staff are not part of this comment). Adding salt to the wound, four months after the accident, the company eliminated my department and laid me off.

Advice to Management

Ensure that upper management is aware of tragic events happening to their employees. Provide a service to employees that will help them find another position in the company. Try to provide a culture that isn't driven entirely by the stock price - show some compassion.

"It's going downhill"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with (or worked with before they left) good people.

Cons

I was hired as a remote worker, and accepted the job based on the work from home policy. The company has recently revoked this policy for all workers for no reason. Many of us work globally via Skype, starting our days at 5am and being highly available for this type of need, so taking away WFH makes zero sense. They have also cut benefits and i have never received a merit raise or bonus, even though i am consistently rated highly by management and peers.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees as much as you do Wall Street. Listen to what your customers are saying.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Honeywell full-time

Pros

The people and the products

Cons

They have no clue what kind of company they want to be

"Engineering Project Manager"

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Honeywell (More than 10 years)

Pros

Driven by metrics. Strict Software Development Process based on Scaled Agile. Integration and testing supported by a extensive Continuous Integration System.

Cons

Honeywell purchase of Intermec Technologies created management chaos. Lots of regular layoffs in all locations. New product development being relocated to cheaper labor countries.

10. "Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-Paced, multiple projects and international opportunities

Cons

Mafia-like work environment, inexperienced, young department Leader

Advice to Management

Base promotions on accomplishment not gender or alma mater.

"Company is in free fall, CEO exiting next year, ceo cashed out on $90M+ yet layoffs an furloughs every quarter."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun products and programs, good worker level people. Lots of opportunity to move around the company once you get hired.

Cons

Executive leadership running it into the ground. Leadership doesn't give you the resources to be successful. They make horrible decisions and then get promoted.

Advice to Management

Quit your job so someone with competence can take over!