Honeywell Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Honeywell President and CEO Darius Adamczyk
Darius Adamczyk

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue (in 176 reviews)

• No work life balance; late night meetings is habit across organization (in 46 reviews)

"Have you seen Office Space? Read Dilbert Ever? Then you already know.."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours (work your 40 flexibly - depends on team. You get paid. Air conditioning, Lights. Free lanyard. Good turn around job for a college grad - everyone who doesn't work here will be impressed that you work in such a 'prestigious' company.

Cons

Oh I couldn't possibly fit all the cons in here. Its a big business. No one cares about you or your ideas. Forget that thought that anything you learned in a degree program will matter to your job. A high school dropout with a few months of training could do your job, There is little to no engineering ever involved. Only when you need to engineer a way to do your actual job without using their broken tools and ancient processes. You will work hard but there will be some excuse why you dont get compensated for it. In fact chances are good you will either get furloughed or laid off. If you dont, you will see good people go and awful rectal-smoochers stay. The company wastes money on silly things like signs and propaganda and is constantly telling employees they are in "bad/tough times". Meanwhile executives get multi-million dollar bonuses even in the tough times. They don't even have the decency to accept this openly they will still insult you by pretending they are sacrificing as much as the little guy. This place slowly sucks your joy like a dementor. Other than that, it's probably pretty typical for an engineering company. Oh and forget any growth opportunity. There is none. When someone retires or leaves, they just have others pick up their work with no compensation or promotion.

Advice to Management

The thought of management giving two 'you-know-whats' about anyone's advice is laughable. They are howling with laughter right now somewhere soaking in the hard work of their people and inventing new phrases like 'Software Industrial' - this is their job.

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours although that may change
    I work with great people and my local managers are excellent
    Celebrity CEO recently retired
    Decent pay although most likely below market rates if you stay there for too long

Cons

Unlimited vacation policy started this year, it is not unlimited and most employees will probably not get approved (yes you need to be approved for all vacation even though it's unlimited) for as much as they used to be entitled to. Medical costs have skyrocketed faster than the industry. No dental. 401k match permanently reduced to 75% of what it used to be. Bonuses permanently reduced to 50% of what they were and will most likely be eliminated in the next few years. Basically all benefits have been drastically cut. Multiple furlough each year with little advanced notice. Layoffs multiple times in the last year and now not enough people to complete the work. My 55 hour weeks went to 60+ due to reduction in force and programs have been put off or cancelled. No more remote working makes it difficult to work long hours and many of the best engineers are leaving due to the change. Its also caused severe over-crowding in outdated facilities. No career advancement opportunities, In my 10+ years I only saw one promotion and it was from engineer 1 to 2. Little to no merit increases (even with great performance reviews) and investment. Lots of red tape due to top leadership micromanaging every division. Going back to school was discouraged and no time with the amount of extra hours required to complete projects on reduced schedules. Former CEO bled the employees dry to make Wall Street happy and it will have severe consequences over the next 5 to 10 years. Every reason I started working for Honeywell has been taken away and I no longer see it as a company I plan to retire from, there are just too many better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees as much as you do on Wall Street.
    Top leadership should see employees as an asset to the company instead of a number. Site leadership is great but has their hand tied.
    Schedule programs to account for 40 hour work weeks instead of insisting people work 60+ in order to reduce head count and schedule. Everyone is burnt out and short term mindsets are going to cause long term issues as top talent migrates to better opportunities and a better work-life balance.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technological capacity to develop cutting edge products.

Cons

Very slow decision making. High level managers are very rude to customers.

"Living quater to quater, layoff to layoff, and furlough to furlough"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our end customer, mission, national security pride on working for DoD project. The dedication and passion from the employees.

Cons

metrics driven management, you have to work a minimum of 44 hours a week to stay off the layoffs and furloughs(only get paid for 40, rest if free for Honeywell to profit from), you are expected to train yourself and on your own time and money, low morale at all levels, employees are viewed as liabilities not assets, benefits are below par(high deductible, high premium insurance), unlimited vacation (as long as you don't use more than 2 weeks), an average pay raise of -2.5% per year after inflation for the last 10 years, not enough people to support all the processes and red tape, quality is horrible, and managers only care about the checkmark that will ensure they get their bonuses. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you can understand a 1 star rating.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on the most important element of the company, the people. Ensure they have the right tools, capital, training, travel, resources, software, flexibility, but most important, stability and job security.
    2. HOS is a failure for various SBUs, admit it, cut your losses, and leverage on the people on the ground to develop solutions.
    3. Stop rewarding the yes manager, and look for the manager that will give you a realistic non inflated assessment of the business.
    4. Do not count training as a metric towards yield, nothing good is coming out of it. People are not taking critical training that they need because too many are afraid to have low yield and be on the chopping block.
    5. Reward critical thinkers, people who are on the ground who want to make Honeywell better, those are easy to spot. They are about the only one motivated at this time. If they leave, you're screwed.
    6. You have to do something about the medical insurance, it is useless. Don't be cheap and take care of us, our stress level is going to kill us and now we have to spend $85 to go see the doctor just to refill a $5 medication. It is not working, go back to the traditional plan.
    7. Take care of your elderly - Honeywell has talent and very bright minds, most of which are being pushed out and forced to take early retirement or die on the job. It is those people that got you to where you are now, you can't dispose of them like an dirty underwear. They put up with your farts. The least you can do is give them the respect they disserve. By doing so, the young people will stick around and not worry about being treated the same way when they get old.
    8. Focus on security, some facilities have old security guards, no gates, and lot of cameras. Some of use don't even feel safe in the facilities at night. Parking area are not safe.
    9. Great Place to Work is a Joke, how about next time you pay for some tacos, or for ticket to the game. If I wanted a discount, I would call my cousin Pepe for tacos and get nose bleed tickets.
    10. Goal & Objective - how about some real SMART goals (should I say more), I'm sick of the copy and paste of acronyms with no real manning to me, SWIFT (really?) for a Test Engineer
    11. Appreciate us with actions, not with words. We have been battered like an abused wife, words are not going to cut it. We need actions.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Honeywell ECC- Golden Valley, MN

Cons

Middle Management is real beyond week. HR protects these management associates no matter what evidence the employee provided.
    Stubbornness cause them to lose so many talented people and kept the losers!!!

Advice to Management

too late to fix!!!

"Growing company for the CEO"

Former Employee - Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Honeywell (More than 3 years)

Pros

At least you have a job. The company must be doing things somewhere, because the CEO is being richly rewarded and they were always talking a lot of good things happening in the future at the same time management was saying there was no pay increase.

Cons

Continually being negatively motivated by being told at least you have a job. This little phrase was sprinkled around repeatedly. Especially at salary review time, but not so much when talking about corporate profits or the bonus being given the CEO.
    Leadership was sorely lacking at the site and there seemed to be no big picture plan. When management was told by professionals that managers were not listening, an additional dozen or so managers were hired from internal personnel. Actually most of the people who weren't listening were promoted. Don't even attempt to try to tell your immediate supervisor, much less management, that they might be doing something wrong or incorrectly, and that there might be a better way to get things done. Big on 'people are our most important asset', but a lot of lip service and little action. To contrast, there were people being treated rather well. Must be some method to the madness. The culture seemed strange at this location in promoting managers who were not getting the job done. Expect to be like any other company - management wants you to do everything and help them to continually improve - constantly preaching change and yet fighting it every step of the way to eventual contract loss.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth. Stop dragging down motivated people. This was a contracting location and someone really ticked the customer off. Of course, the company was not really making a good faith effort to deliver the product.

"Frustration; Lazy Union; No investment in employees"

Current Employee - ISC Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - ISC Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn new skills, opportunity to meet and learn from good leaders

Cons

Laying people off, forcing people to retire, forcing people to work mandatory overtime for 6 days a week. Very little leadership development, corporate micromanaging, very negative and frustrating place to work. no investment in employees, it's a revolving door of young motivated people trying to make a name for themselves at the bottom of the pay scale. They cancel annual raises, cut training programs like Green belt doc Sigma, old dirty building that has water leaking through the roof when it rains. Benefits are discouraging.

Advice to Management

Lean will never work when you have a union who's whole philosophy is to do things the way they've always been done. Stop putting the burden of what the leadership team has agreed to on the backs of the factory. Leadership needs to support its team, not tax it. Invest in the employees.

"too long"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working overtime paid the bills

Cons

Too many - sad

Advice to Management

Got you head out of your....

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is rotten to the core! Excellent match for fakers and usurpers

Cons

Company promotes a Communist-style management: nepotism, corruption, dictatorial chain of command and control, hidden politics, non-accountability of management, promotion of the young, obedient inepts fertile to maniplulation and control - an overall unfair and toxic environment. HR personnel will follow this objective evaluation with a plethora of countless positive fictive evaluation, under the umbrella of annonimity.

Advice to Management

Disband your cliques and rebuild all management from ground up.

"Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people (co-workers)
    Well known
    Good place to leave

Cons

Management lacks direction
    Reorganization is constant
    No vision or strategy
    President/CEO of SPS has no leadership capabilities, does not trust any one and has surrounded himself with "yes-men"
    Benefits are horrible
    Really bad culture, most people are looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust people, micromanaging does nothing but show you don't trust them. Fix internal systems. Going fast is stupid without a strategy/plan - GET ONE!

Showing 514 of 4,529 reviews