Honeywell Reviews | Glassdoor

4,305 reviews

Full-time Part-time

4,305 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue (in 176 reviews)

• No work life balance; late night meetings is habit across organization (in 46 reviews)

"Sr. Licensing Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is reasonably good, given the cost of living in my area. There are (or at least were) a lot of very skilled and knowledgeable people and opportunities to work on interesting and challenging projects.

Cons

Employee benefits have been reduced in recent years - cut 401K Matching in half, eliminated work from home option, and went to 'unlimited vacation' approach. This - on top of 3 weeks of furlough in 12 months, RIFs and no raises in 2016 - evidences that upper management does not greatly value its workforce. Main focus now is to meet AOP in the short term at all costs.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technological capacity to develop cutting edge products.

Cons

Very slow decision making. High level managers are very rude to customers.

"Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, OH

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent technology and exciting projects. Cohesive and smart group of engineers and engineering managers. Low turnover. Manufacturing under the same roof. Relatively low stress work environment. Good work-life balance for starting out, decreases as your area of responsibility grows.

ISC (factory) has undergone many positive changes with the Honeywell Operating Standards over the past 5 years. Improved efficiency, quality, sense of ownership, and workplace environment.

Engineering salaries are very good, respectable annual merit increases (2-3+%), fluctuates with the market conditions as well as with individual contributions. Performance incentives (bonuses) for Principal and Staff Engineers and Management, Band 4 & 5. Respectable 401k match, believed to be 1%/1% to 3%, then 1/2%/1% to 6%.

On site cafeteria with food trucks.

Cons

Honeywell is going through a period of furloughs and layoffs over the last year and a half.

Honeywell Aerospace is making adjustments while trying to streamline engineering and manufacturing processes, mostly good, but the one-size-fits-all across all product lines is detrimental to some sites, this one specifically. With a short development cycles (1-3 yrs) additional processes have increased the overall development cycle duration and cost while OEM customers expect decreasing development cycles. Executive management has recognized this and is starting to make changes.

The local engineering organization, as great as it is, seems to be unable or unwilling to become excellent. A lack of vigor and/or a sense of complacency seems present.

Honeywell Aerospace is a matrix organization with little on-site business presence. The ISC manufacturing support of new programs needs more of a sense of urgency early in development with a comprehensive manufacturing plan with concise objectives. The ISC leader and his management team changes every 1-2 years; it's hard to make sustainable improvements with a revolving door.

Grass roots growth for the site is available, but challenging to support within the Honeywell corporate umbrella. Organizational changes on the business side are in process to improve this.

Career advancement is given little effort by management, and the measurement of developing skills is ambiguous. Willingness to relocate improves your opportunity to accelerate your career growth. The executive management solution to engineering attrition has primarily been more global engineers, mainly in India. Grim outlook for new graduates in the states with this company.

Vacation time starts at 2 weeks, even for experienced employees (5-10 yrs). 3 weeks at 5 years, and I believe 4 weeks at 15 years and caps at 5 weeks at 25 years. Vacation time is non-negotiable for new hires.

Aging site with insufficient reinvestment. Dated conference rooms for customer meetings, office area carpet is grungy with lots of duct tape on lifting seams, 15-30 year old cubicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to tailor the development process to each site/development cycle duration to ensure progress instead of regression. Continue to change the business climate for more local grass roots growth.

Hire talented ISC site leaders who can successfully lead for a 5-10 year duration. Challenge ISC leadership to improve the method to support new product development while sustaining production deliveries.

If India is Honeywell's engineering future, quit straddling the fence and bring them here to work side-by-side so that they can be properly trained and learn Honeywell's development process instead of shooting in the dark.

Some sites have particular skill sets that create challenging hiring environments. If executive management's plan is to fill requisitions, this shouldn't be abandoned so quickly (90 days), especially when relocation is not offered. This only perpetuates the issue when the requisition goes unfilled or encourages hiring sub-standard talent.

Put additional effort towards career growth with measurable objectives. Reinvest more into infrastructure to create an inviting work environment.

5. "Software Engineer I"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, lots of interesting projects

Cons

Sometimes the company seems to be in a disarray

"Living quater to quater, layoff to layoff, and furlough to furlough"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our end customer, mission, national security pride on working for DoD project. The dedication and passion from the employees.

Cons

metrics driven management, you have to work a minimum of 44 hours a week to stay off the layoffs and furloughs(only get paid for 40, rest if free for Honeywell to profit from), you are expected to train yourself and on your own time and money, low morale at all levels, employees are viewed as liabilities not assets, benefits are below par(high deductible, high premium insurance), unlimited vacation (as long as you don't use more than 2 weeks), an average pay raise of -2.5% per year after inflation for the last 10 years, not enough people to support all the processes and red tape, quality is horrible, and managers only care about the checkmark that will ensure they get their bonuses. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you can understand a 1 star rating.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on the most important element of the company, the people. Ensure they have the right tools, capital, training, travel, resources, software, flexibility, but most important, stability and job security.
    2. HOS is a failure for various SBUs, admit it, cut your losses, and leverage on the people on the ground to develop solutions.
    3. Stop rewarding the yes manager, and look for the manager that will give you a realistic non inflated assessment of the business.
    4. Do not count training as a metric towards yield, nothing good is coming out of it. People are not taking critical training that they need because too many are afraid to have low yield and be on the chopping block.
    5. Reward critical thinkers, people who are on the ground who want to make Honeywell better, those are easy to spot. They are about the only one motivated at this time. If they leave, you're screwed.
    6. You have to do something about the medical insurance, it is useless. Don't be cheap and take care of us, our stress level is going to kill us and now we have to spend $85 to go see the doctor just to refill a $5 medication. It is not working, go back to the traditional plan.
    7. Take care of your elderly - Honeywell has talent and very bright minds, most of which are being pushed out and forced to take early retirement or die on the job. It is those people that got you to where you are now, you can't dispose of them like an dirty underwear. They put up with your farts. The least you can do is give them the respect they disserve. By doing so, the young people will stick around and not worry about being treated the same way when they get old.
    8. Focus on security, some facilities have old security guards, no gates, and lot of cameras. Some of use don't even feel safe in the facilities at night. Parking area are not safe.
    9. Great Place to Work is a Joke, how about next time you pay for some tacos, or for ticket to the game. If I wanted a discount, I would call my cousin Pepe for tacos and get nose bleed tickets.
    10. Goal & Objective - how about some real SMART goals (should I say more), I'm sick of the copy and paste of acronyms with no real manning to me, SWIFT (really?) for a Test Engineer
    11. Appreciate us with actions, not with words. We have been battered like an abused wife, words are not going to cut it. We need actions.

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allows opportunities to work on some of the latest technologies for space and military applications

Cons

Very beauracratic, constant change in management and direction. Decreasing benefits each year.

Advice to Management

Understand the job your employees do. Lead by example and not just direct with buzz words.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Honeywell ECC- Golden Valley, MN

Cons

Middle Management is real beyond week. HR protects these management associates no matter what evidence the employee provided.
    Stubbornness cause them to lose so many talented people and kept the losers!!!

Advice to Management

too late to fix!!!

9. "Planner"

Current Employee - Planner in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Planner in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is very challenging and every day is different.

Cons

Workforce Reduction forces us to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Hire more planners to help with reduce inventory, be proactive instead of reactive to part shortages.

"Director Project Management"

Current Employee - Director Project Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director Project Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company and can weather market fluctuations through its diversity.

Cons

Constant leadership turn over, changing priorities, poor leadership accountability, employees pay the price when cost cutting is needed to offset inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

People are your most valuable asset, treat them that way!!

"Tough Sledding in Aerospace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Local management is supportive. Interesting work.

Cons

"Making the numbers" seems more important to corporate management than doing what's necessary for long-term growth. This is especially harmful to a sector like Defense and Space that has to think long-term, not the next quarter.

Showing 4,305 of 4,530 reviews