KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hootsuite

Engaged Employer

Hootsuite

Add a Review

Hootsuite Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Aug 10, 2022

Found 263 of over 606 reviews

4.2
Hootsuite CEO Tom Keiser
Tom Keiser

What people are saying about Hootsuite

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "low pay and nearly impossible lateral/upward movement.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Poor management: Too much focus on the task and not the individuals(in 28 reviews)
  • "Low Salary, Lack of Promotion, Unless you're in Sales(in 22 reviews)
  • "Lack of leadership and accountability in(in 20 reviews)
  • "many managers promoted to positions they are not qualified for and are not removed when their lack of qualifications has negative consequences(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hootsuite and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

good place to work in early career

Dec 6, 2017 - Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible and casual environment. Enough people to make lots of friends and figure out what would you like to do next.

Cons

Work is often feels as more operational/reactive rather than strategic/organized, which makes it difficult to move forward with some goals, even if they are agreed as a priority.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Regional Community Manager

Sep 7, 2015 - Regional Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are the core of the company and the core values are respected and fostered: passion in all we do, lead with humility, respect the individual, build a better way.

Cons

Not suitable for those who can't cope with hypergrowth!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Their people focused culture is all talk

Mar 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The product is great and you can work with some really smart people

Cons

The HR team disclose confidential discussions on a frequent basis and can be very underhand and unprofessional with exiting people without sound cause. There is a huge turnaround in staff, including management and c-level employees Management and c-level often make very emotional decisions and are not supportive when it comes to professional growth. They claim to be focused on people culture but there is little work-life balance - you may be able to work from home, but you are expected to always be working. It's dressed up as something Ryan likes to call 'grit'. About 60% of the people I worked with when I joined last year have been exited or moved on. The management and c-level team are very arrogant.

17 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not Great

Dec 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are quite a few pros to working at Hootsuite: - Good Vacation - People are very talented and always ready to help - Comfortable work environment - Good social activities, great for meeting people - Fitness classes on site - Work/life balance

Cons

Unfortunately there are a lot of problems in the organization. I get the sense that 4-5 years ago it was an awesome place to work and really grow your career, which is why I was so excited to work at Hootsuite. I wanted to learn and grow with the company. However, there are major issues: - Low Pay. Everyone says it, but these days for Vancouver, it's really, really low. This demonstrates a lack of recognition of what's happening in the market place. - Lack of career growth. There are many people that have grown up with the company and experienced great opportunities. If you came on board in the last couple of years, it's been non existent. There's no standardization or documentation for career goals, promotions, training, etc. You are left treading water, wondering how you are performing and what you can improve on. - Bro culture. If you had said to me that this was an issue at Hootsuite when I first got hired, I wouldn't have believed it. Until I saw it in action. Working there felt like a popularity contest. I was told by my manager that I needed to become friends with certain individuals if I had any hope of progressing - unfortunately the caliber of my work simply wasn't going to be enough. I have never experienced this attitude in the workplace before. - Volatile environment. Key people would just disappear. People would leave and would not be replaced. There was a common complaint from leadership about how difficult it was to find good talent in Vancouver, yet the company allows very talented people to walk out the door everyday. It's very expensive to keep recruiting and replacing employees.

21 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sales

Mar 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Toronto Office is a great office and is really driving a lot of growth for the company. The work ethic is really strong and the quality of people really understand how to drive big strategic sales. The management is really top notch and approachable.

Cons

Vancouver is really still the heart of the organization and it feels like good work in the Toronto office goes unnoticed. The product is severly lacking the features to be truly enterprise. A lot of the features that pushed Hootsuite to be #1 in the Forester wave were still in development, which caused us to loose a lot of big deals.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee

Gender Diversity

May 31, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots to like about the industry, recent acquisitions and individual opportunities. There are alot of talented people here with deep social knowledge and many new and improved services and delivery capabilities.

Cons

There are zero women in senior leadership positions under the head of sales. The recent May offsite to set the strategy for the remainder of the year and beyond attended by the head of sales and his 9 direct report leaders who are all male may as well have been hosted at a men's club. What century are we in?

20 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Product lacking cohesiveness

Apr 11, 2020 - Customer Success Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people that are also quite capable of being client partners in guiding them to maximize their Hootsuite investment.

Cons

The product itself lacks polish and "common sense" engineering. Product teams work in silos which creates a user experience that is incohesive. Lots of instability within the management group which creates an unstable environment for the employees.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great potential but completely rudderless

Jan 8, 2019 - Senior Marketing Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people, great location, amazing work-life balance.

Cons

No leadership from the top down, no strategy (other than to hit sales targets, which we rarely do), no focus, and no accountability for poor decision-making. 20 percent of the people do 80 percent of the work; the rest are just great talkers and politicians.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

A company filled with passionate, culture-focused and skilled people.

Apr 29, 2015 - Sales Department in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Hootsuite is awesome. I had come from working with various small businesses consisting of 3 to 10 employees over the course of the last 8 years of my life (from non-profit and interior design to branding agencies) and at first I had some hesitation transitioning into a 'big company' (over 500 employees). I can say that all of those hesitations were wiped away once I started working here. The culture is a big plus for me. Obviously a fairly competitive salary matters, but I'd rather take a little less money and work with amazing, smart and entrepreneurial-minded individuals in a team setting than make a few extra bucks. I just want to say that is important to me, might not be for you though. People here are extremely friendly and having the support from people from various departments is awesome. The environment and culture here is relaxed (pretty much get to wear whatever you want and people can even bring dogs) but I do say that people are passionate and work hard when they are here. I appreciate and respect that. Overtime is not expected to be a 'good performer' that I've experienced in every job except this one. People leave when their work day is over, but when they are here, they're friendly but still get stuff done. It's refreshing. As far as benefits and all of the fine print, they were very upfront before I started with benefits and compensation and I found it to actually be pretty competitive (remember, there's lots of departments and lots of people so benefits and salaries may differ). It's definitely a step up from not being able to take vacation because you're over worked in a small company that only allows you to take long weekends and not extended holidays. In fact, they discourage overtime and not taking vacations! There's a lot of small 'perks' that paint the bigger picture. Everything is modern and well-maintained and the interior design has had a lot of TLC put into it. The open atmosphere and 'flat' organization is something I dig so it fits my personality. When I first started, I was even able to express my desire to expand my skills and move up eventually and they were very receptive. I find the management to be approachable and extremely friendly. I've had a bad taste from bad management in previous companies where it was hard to approach them and express issues, requests and even feedback. Here it's very circular and open.

Cons

Obviously everything has it's cons, but for me, the pros outweigh the cons by a landslide. The "open" space may not jive well for people who need privacy to focus. They definitely hire a certain type of personality: people who are driven, passionate, friendly and have an interest in a variety of areas. It definitely helps to be outgoing here. They have a strong collaboration and team-focus attitude so it's important that people be willing to step outside their comfort zones and work well with a variety of people and personalities. It's easy to get distracted here (but that's not really a con, more like something you'll need to get used to) because people are so friendly and there other things like a great kitchen, gym, nap rooms, ping pong, foosball and more. It's actually pretty tough for me to come up with a lot of cons. I mean, I can nit pick, but the role I'm in is perfect thus far and my team is incredible.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

An Unstructured Mess of a Company

Oct 9, 2016 - Marketing in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- looks good on a resume. Get a year in and get out. - some smart/cool colleagues - dogs

Cons

- low pay and nearly impossible lateral/upward movement. I can think of a handful of people who have climbed the corporate jungle gym successfully in a company of nearly 1000 people - terrible middle management. great talent at the very bottom (social coaches, customer advocates, copywriters, SM specialists, etc.) and the very top (C-suite, some VPs), everything in the middle is a giant mess of incompetence, defensiveness, paranoia and poor work ethic. - many managers promoted to positions they are not qualified for and are not removed when their lack of qualifications has negative consequences - many older employees (4+ years) have a Stockholm syndrome-like relationship with the company. this can be good as they are generally the most upbeat and positive, but it's also sad to see. - internal communication tools enable a culture of popularity contests that leads to a skewed view of who is truly valuable and who contributes meanigfully to company goals. - terrible HR department. if you have an issue with a coworker or a manager, be prepared for excuses and no action. - bullying behaviour from the above mentioned incompetent managers. - bro culture on the rise. things are being said and done now that would not be tolerated back when i joined. - lots of top brass is leaving. Many are very experienced and well educated people who have spent a lot of time trying to steer this unwieldily ship in the right direction - Ryan Holmes has said in multiple company wide meetings that those who don't like it here can leave. While that's true, it also doesn't differentiate between those for whom Hootsuite is not a good fit and those who have expressed legitimate concerns about how the business is being run and how they are being treated - The CEO is a marketer at heart. He knows what to say and how to say it to appear relevant and ahead of the curve, but in reality, the product is outdated, doesn't meet the basic needs of today's social media professionals and many solutions rely on workarounds instead of being properly built. The price points are also insane for anything beyond the $10 plan. If you're in sales or marketing, be prepared for some sleepless nights after days spent trying to spin and position something cumbersome and ineffective as sleek, useful and fast.

33 people found this review helpful