Hoover's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Carrigan

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great people, decent pay (in 10 reviews)

• Sales is always stressful but this place has a laid back environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Dun & Bradstreet seemed like it didn't know what to do with Hoover's (in 4 reviews)

1. "Office manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hoover's (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Don't like to advance there employees

Advice to Management

Pay attention to ur employees

2. "New Customer Acquisitions"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

Pros

While working at Hoover's I met a LOT of awesome people. By far, the people you meet at the company is the best part. Aside from that, the experience I obtained while working here was exceptional, as far as work is concerned. For me, it was the first time I had ever sold anything in a "consultative" way and to me it was an eye opening experience.

It is nice that I was able to speak to a WIDE variety of businesses. It was also nice to be able to speak to a variety of different job titles.

While a part of this team, we were always showered with gifts, promotions and other ways to make bonus money. Free lunches were always nice, and out senior sales manager loved to have Potlucks.

Cons

Full disclosure. Hoover's is GREAT work experience if we're strictly talking about WORK. Shortly after I came onboard, our department was bought out and over taken by Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corporation. This is interesting because prior to the acquisition, this company was in the news and apparently had a major lawsuit against them for unethically utilizing customer's data. Needless to say, after this merger, business practices and things going on at work became..... Questionable to say the least.

Mixed messaging coming from upper management. Being essentially told we were good or trained enough to sell our products and services by a company who's product was priced at least four to five times LOWER than our product made no sense. They attempted to take the "consulting" part of the conversation out of the equation and just make it purely transactional, which just seemed backwards considering the consulting part lead to higher average sales price to begin with.

While the idea of "coaching" seems good on paper, that application of this idea falls short. What good does it do to nitpick at every little nuance of a conversation?

Advice to Management

Focus on uplifting and TRULY inspiring versus motivating out of fear and anxiety. This trickles from the top down and surely comes across in interactions with clients.

3. "ok company"

Former Employee - Business Information Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Information Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

the relationships you get to build with the other employees

Cons

unrealistic quotas, they take back already approved vacation days if you are not at your quota

Advice to Management

work on building a time for the long haul and not just turn and burn when numbers are not meet

4. "New Customer Aquisition"

Former Employee - New Customer Acquisition in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - New Customer Acquisition in Austin, TX

Pros

They make it pretty easy to stay motivated by offering free lunches for team members that close sales before noon. They offer many incentives to increase commissions, and offer cash bonuses offered daily.

Cons

A recent acquisition of Hoovers by Dun & Bradstreet is resulting in a decline in the Infrastructure of Hoovers. Quotas continue to increase monthly; almost double within the last two months. Healthy commissions were offered last year on any sale. At the beginning of the year, a 50% expectation of said increased quotas must be met before receiving commissions.

As a result, the sales team is decreasing day by day--both with the high-performers seeking better pay and new employees being fired for lack of performance. All of those are being replaced with inexperienced recent college grads willing to accept minimal pay.

Advice to Management

What can I say? You have no choice in the matter, and no say for the treatment of your teams. Good luck.

5. "Ok company"

Former Employee - Senior Trainer & Instructional Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer & Instructional Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hoover's (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual work environment and no stressful deadlines

Cons

no structure and no direction

6. "mediocre opportunity for starting sales position"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

Pros

Decent starting salary (for someone without a college degree) and uncapped commissions based on monthly sales quota. Casual business environment was nice.

Cons

Odd hours (some shifts were 7:30 -4:30 and the next day you were working 10:00 - 7:00). Management was too aggressive. They expected you to lie in order to sell the products that were offered. Also, the management did not want you to offer discounts on the products below a certain amount; however, the NJ division would do it all day long - zero consistency across branches.

Advice to Management

Have fun and try not to take your jobs so seriously. Monitoring every single detail of a person's phone call with a potential sales opportunity is NOT the way to ensure that your employees are going to make you money.

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hoover's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and they reward account managers who perform well by promoting them to higher level accounts. It is a big enough company that you get a lot of support and don't have to wear as many hats as you would in a smaller company.

Cons

Very small base salaries for Account Managers. They bumped up the base pay little by little, usually a 5% increase if the person did well. The salaries started even lower than $40K per year when I was there.

Advice to Management

not much to say here because I heard they went through a lot of changes since I left. Sounds like people are happier there than when I left the company.

"A bastion of mediocrity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Hoover's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

relatively light workload, though it's not as stress-free as it could be

Cons

The execs say they want to bring the company into the 21st century. In such a big company, the typical reaction is to become even more territorial. It's an unproductive reaction borne out of insecurity. They're insecure because people who work at Hoovers/D&B are B-players (there are a handful of exceptions of course). That wouldn't be so bad if they conceded that and didn't act like a bunch of posers. It's a political and bureaucratic nightmare, with over-inflated egos running rampant.

Advice to Management

Fire the low performers and egomaniacs if you (management) are serious about improving morale and modernizing the company. It's not gonna happen in that political cesspool.

9. "15 years past it's prime"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Good location and benefits were comparable.

Cons

Where do i start. If you are looking for a company that lost it's way 15 years ago and doesn't respect itself or their employees, this is the place for you. I have worked in sales and marketing for 15 years at 10 different places, and this company was the worst. The sales teams never knew how the commission scale worked, therefor we never knew what we were being paid, not no manager could ever explain how it worked. There was a class action against them for this as well.
    If Hoovers was your first corporate job, then it seems pretty nice with the perks and typical corporate'isms. Compared to any other corporation, it is poor and the product is wastefully outdated by 10 years or more and so you tend to sell your soul each day for $45k. I don't even think they have published any core values and the mission is to not get caught in a lawsuit. There are many other comparable companies in Austin that are hands down better. I personally moved to Rackspace and was super happy and employeed for 3 years.

Advice to Management

Please take a month off, fly to Tebet and attempt to find the meaning of life. You do not have a clue and your treat your people like dogs.

10. "Fun, lots of free food and team building events but also really high turn over in the sales department."

Former Employee - New Sales Acquisitions in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - New Sales Acquisitions in Austin, TX

I worked at Hoover's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money! great benefits lots of free food

Cons

Very easy to get burned out. Very high pressure, even top performers look to get out after a couple of years