Hope Community Resources Reviews in Anchorage, AK | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hope Community Resources Executive Director Stephen P. Lesko
Stephen P. Lesko

1. "Personal Care Assistant"

Former Employee - Individual Service Support in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Individual Service Support in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources (Less than a year)

Pros

I like to work with individuals. I got to experience things that I would never had gotten to unless working in this field.

Cons

Had to work odd hours

2. "Okay place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the supported individuals. Good benefits.

Cons

Hours are not dependable. Majority of the supervisors are not qualified for their position.

Advice to Management

Better train supervisors

3. "Unorganized company"

Former Employee - Employment Support Supervisor in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Employment Support Supervisor in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping individuals who may not be able to help themselves was the most rewarding thing about working here. That was a major plus.

Cons

The company is being run in the ground by mis management. Benefits have been drastically cut, more work was added such as caseloads without compensation.

Advice to Management

Provide people with the tools to do their job. Hire others instead of making one person do 3 and 4 jobs. Stop cutting benefits. Manage money appropriately.

5. "Mediocre place to work."

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to work with the supported individuals. Most staff are really nice & helpful, however the supervisors are a different story. Good health benefits if a full time employee, or if you average 30 hrs/week. (Steve Lesko is no longer the CEO he retired a yr or 2 ago, he passed away early in 2016. Rick Benjamin is top dog now).

Cons

Supervisors are lazy, & they don't get text messages if what was in the text isn't something they want to deal with, it's amazing how selective their cell service is. Way understaffed. Can't count on the number of hrs that you will get. They do not make safety a priority in behavioral homes, 95% of time only 1 staff watching up to 4 individuals, even though the individuals have physical aggression, at least a few times a month. Supervisors think that redirecting will prevent the individuals from continuing to escalate. 70% of the supervisors are straight up shady. Supervisors will tell a new staff that the person they're going to be working has no aggression issues. NEVER believe that! I wouldn't make working at Hope your 1st Choice. It's the supervisors & a few in HR that are shady. The person that's the top dog isn't an idiot, it's the little minions that are the problem. It's okay to make medication documentation errors (not signing for a med when given, even though the documenting is supposed to be done 1st, because that's supposed to show that the medication was checked that it is correct, before giving to 1 of the supported individuals. After you make 3 medication documentation errors, you'll get a written warning, I personally feel that's very negligent.

Advice to Management

Supervisors need to be monitored more, & address the issue of the phones not getting texts that would be inconvenient for them.

6. "Oof"

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my coworkers and the people who we supported

Cons

Was manipulated by my supervisor using the fact that I cared about the people we supported to work overtime. The reason we had so many extra hours was because so many people got fed up with the company and quit. High turnover rate means you're constantly moving around.

Advice to Management

You take great care of the people we support but pretty crappy care of your employees.
     A good/terrible supervisor makes or breaks this job so if there's a lot of turnover in a particular house or area, look there first.
    Based on the quarterly company meetings it seemed like senior management had nooo idea what was actually happening in the group homes and what it was actually like to work in one. Disconnected.

7. "Office Staff"

Current Employee - Office in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Office in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leave time and flexible schedule is great, company attempts to do good things.

Cons

No performance raises. People who work hard are not recognized. Always making cuts.

Advice to Management

Don't make excuses and blame others and don't put unqualified people in management positions. Live by the values of the company.

8. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was employed at Hope for a total of four years - all years spent in the office. I left in 2014 because I moved out of state, and I can tell you that I constantly seek a culture that mirrors that of Hope. There is plenty of room for advancement and growth within the company, which I successfully managed to do during my time there. Everyone who works at Hope is there for a meaningful purpose well beyond the price tag that comes with a job, therefore attracting only the best and most heartfelt people to the company. Great emphasis on work-life balance, plus training and skills advancement is very accessible and often encouraged.

Cons

Like all non-profits, don't expect a high salary working at Hope. However, I can truly say that the passion and enjoyment working with clients supported at Hope override the need for a high pay.

Advice to Management

I always worked in the office, but I always listened to the feedback from DSP's. Managers: do not undermine those who work out in the field! Listen and prioritize their concerns.

9. "Great NPO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people we support are awesome.

Cons

There are challenges with being Medicaid funded.

10. "Like a family"

Former Employee - Individual Support Specialist in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Individual Support Specialist in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, meaningful work, great managers

Cons

High turnover, some pretty awful coworkers who never get fired.

Advice to Management

You can't train people to be ethical and caring- you have to find people who possess those traits and train them on other things.

11. "Great People"

Current Employee - HAC in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - HAC in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Hope Community Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn, Grow, and Help others.

Cons

Warning!! You will find it very difficult to leave this career.

Advice to Management

Introspection