Horace Mann Exclusive Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marita Zuraitis

Pros
Cons
  • The health insurance is expensive (in 7 reviews)

• Too many in senior management don't actually live locally-they commute and don't become part of the community (in 5 reviews)

1. "Exclusive Agent"

Current Contractor - Exclusive Agent
    Current Contractor - Exclusive Agent

I have been working at Horace Mann as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of accounts on the books

Cons

Only work with new agents

Advice to Management

Help keep agents you have

2. "Violated Agent Contract"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initial insurance rates were competitive to bring on new clients; however, renewal rates were fraught with issues such as discounts falling off that shouldn't have and unreasonable rate increases for good risks. The claims department worked really hard to go above and beyond for my clients. It's too bad they are overworked and under appreciated. Premier services could make changes to my clients' policies without causing any problems; however, if a client called into the customer service center, the service reps were typically rude, untrained, and incapable of completing even simple tasks.

Cons

I purchased a book. I was shown proof it was worth $60k. In reality it was worth $40k. I built it up each year, but the renewals barely increased. I was spinning my wheels and couldn't figure out what was happening. Eventually I found out my Field Sales Leader had been giving chunks of my book of business to new agents as an incentive to come on board in other territories. I also found out Horace Mann was transferring clients to other agents based on post office change of address form alerts they purchased from USPS (without checking with the clients first to verify the clients actually moved). This caused people who temporarily changed their address while on vacation to be switched to a new agent, and people who moved from one city to a neighboring one to be switched to a closer agent even though both agents shared the territory. Apparently Horace Mann eventually realized 70% of these post office transfers were incorrect, not to mention illegal since WA clients would sometimes be transferred to FL auto policies. It also caused conflict between agents who shared territories. I was promised a "protected territory" no other agent was allowed to market in. However, I found out Horace Mann had appointed independent agents in my protected territory which was a violation of the contract I signed. When I found the lost clients who had been transferred to new agents as an illegal incentive and the clients who had been transferred to other agents due to the erroneous post office change of addresses, I asked Horace Mann to fix these errors as they cost me $100k+ over a five year period (probably closer to $250k). I just wanted Horace Mann to do the right thing and put my clients back in my book since I'd worked so hard to build my business up. Instead, Horace Mann was worried I'd sue them. I also let Horace Mann know I'd be taking 2 weeks off for medical treatment. I hired Premier Services to handle my clients in my medical absence per the advice of management. Instead of doing the right thing, Horace Mann's response was to terminate my contract stating I couldn't care for my clients if I had to take medical time off. A termination of the contract by either party should have given me a years' renewal commission per the contract language ($60k). Instead, they gave me a check for $1.96. Yes, you saw that right - one dollar and ninety six cents. Now I am suing for breach of contract plus damages. The Horace Mann contract stated I owned my business, I definitely paid for all my business expenses like a business owner would, yet they violated my contract and treated me like an employee. I have a feeling this will end up being a class action lawsuit before too long. I heard they recently violated the contracts of 4 other exclusive agents in Oregon last month. I won't let you get away with this, Horace Mann.

Advice to Management

Honor your word and your legally binding contracts.

"Horrible Mann"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None anymore. Not the same company it was ten years ago.

Cons

No clear direction. Company changes management constantly. Three CEO's in 10 years. Agents contracts and compensation change yearly. Claim agents own business, yet contract changed to allow for company to take business for zero compensation at any time. Very poor outlook.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, you are likely to be replaced soon anyway.

5. "Exclusive Agent, Big Mistake"

Former Contractor - Exclusive Agent in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Contractor - Exclusive Agent in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Horace Mann as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of one, I would say there is a niche market, but in Maryland no one has ever heard of Horace Mann, so you spend all of your time Marketing their name, and spending your own money, for teachers that are not that interested in making changes in Insurance or Retirement. Also other 403(b) providers offer better fund options.

Bonuses for selling make it worthwhile, but I could not meet them. (I have over 10 years in the insurance industry, and sold over 100 policies a month, so I know what I am doing.)

Met the CEO, she is actually really smart, but it takes too log for these ideas to get implemented, and basically Horace Mann is just following other what big insurance companies are already doing.

Cons

No Name Recognition. Terrible Underwriting. When I finally got customers to write a policy, underwriters always pushed back. No Support in the Field. Field Sales Leader acted as my boss, and told me what to do, and spent my money like it was never ending.There was Field Trainer, but he lived 6 hours away, and never helped with what I needed.

2 Months after I opened my Office, I found out that my district was looking to remove Horace Mann as a 403(B) provider, so there went my market, and that is not what I signed up for. Also, I found out several details months after I opened, that would have changed my mind in opening an office. Also, I was forced to rent an office, but never spent any time there. Maybe if I could have operated from home, I could have stayed longer, but I was out over $1000 a month in expenses, before marketing. Getting leads was easy, but then none of them ever returned my calls.

Payment plan is way out of whack. For some reason, they collect the entire first 6 moths of premium is 3 and a half months. They told me that it is a Maryland Law, but every other Insurance company you take the premium and divide by 6 or 12, and that is your payment.

I know that this company has a good reputation, and I have friends that are doing well, but not in this market.

Here is an example, of poor Management. My FSL and I went to 10 schools and set 2 Appointments. It took 6 hours. I sent 10 emails to different schools and set 3 appointments. It took 10 minutes.

Also my FSL took over every appointment that we went on, when we cold called, she "vomited" information on secretaries, that often were not the decision maker, and did not know when to shut up and listen. She would also make an appointment to discuss topic "A", and then go to the appointment and talk about something totally different.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Modernize. Give new agents more financial support. Make the regions smaller, and more cohesive. The entire east coast is one regions, but Maryland is a much different market than rural Virginia, and the Carolinas

"Exclusive Agent"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent

Pros

Great Company, Great People to work with. Best Products and niche market being teacher what better clients. Very rewarding incentives. Made trips to Hong Kong, Beijing China, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Greece,Turkey, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires and many other wonderful places. Income increase every year as you build your book of business $350+ after 18 years.

Cons

Hard work. Constant learning new products and continuing education. Struggle the first few years but stick with it and it will become very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep moving forward.

"The WORST Insurance Company on the planet!"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of one

Cons

Technology is 20 years behind. Support for agents in the field doesn't exist. Compensation for agents is the lowest in the industry. Management will lie to your face and has cut pay for agents 2 years in a row. This is clearly not a company that is "for educator's", they care about two things, wall st. investors and upper management compensation. Customer retention is a nightmare, claims department is the worst in the industry. I struggle to find a reason this company will be in business 5 years from now. Most teachers in my area of the country do not want anything to do with Horace Mann because they have either been screwed over by them, or know another teacher who has. Agents get no benefits at all, and the pay is the lowest in the industry. Find another insurance company to work for, this one will destroy your reputation.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises to agents. Invest in real technology. Stop lying and stealing from your employees just to push more money up to the top.