Horace Mann Exclusive Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Marita Zuraitis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work life balance and the PD Adjuster is inundated and required to go above and beyond to stay afloat which creates immediate burnout (in 6 reviews)

• For instance, after management told me to hire a customer service center called Premier Services (at a whopping (in 9 reviews)

"Exclusive Agent"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Belpre, OH
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Belpre, OH

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has always considered the agents in their decisions

Cons

working through government requirements or changes

2. "New Agent Feedback"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Horace Mann provides exceptional support and training for new agents. The culture of Horace Mann truly cares for the educators it serves.

Cons

The business model is so effective that it quickly becomes impossible to accomplish all one wants in any given day. Time to expand the office!

Advice to Management

Continue to rotate various field leaders among new agents for shadowing and support.

"Agent"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to do plenty of charity work! Great auto and home insurance company!

Cons

I am not a nonprofit organization. Revolving door policy with management and agents. Weary of correcting the mistakes I inherited from previous untrained agent. Disappearing commissions on written annuity business. No securities. P&C company NOT a financial company.

Advice to Management

Three people at the help desk for 40 states? At the position for almost one year never once had the regional return one single phone call. Horrible horrible management dumber than rocks. Ask three managers receive three different answers.

"What happened to loyalty? Where is your honor?"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Look at the employee turnover rates, upper management job changes, and talk to past Exclusive Agents about their experiences, including how Horace Mann lowers agent commission percentages annually. That will tell you all you need to know.

Cons

Dozens of long-term, fully vested, high-producing Exclusive Agents were terminated last year for erroneous reasons. For instance, after management told me to hire a customer service center called Premier Services (at a whopping $750/mo) to take are of my clients while I was on a 2-week medical absence receiving treatment at the Mayo Clinic.... without any notice whatsoever, I received a letter from Horace Mann right before my scheduled absence stating they were terminating me because they didn't feel I could care for my clients if I was out of the office for 2 weeks. So basically, they don't feel their own customer service department can do its job in my absence. I was there for 5 years and never took a vacation. After I was terminated, I found out 4 agents in Oregon were terminated for having high claims ratios...just like me, no notice, no probationary period to improve. When either party terminates the contract, the vested agent is supposed to get a year's worth of commissions. I received a check for $1.96. I didn't ask what the Oregon agents received. I have a feeling Horace Mann is terminating high producing agents in order to hire a cheaper labor force. Why keep agents who cost you a lot in renewals every year when you can hire new agents who have to start from scratch? And when Horace Mann refuses to pay you your contractual termination commission, it's hard to sue them because they took away all your money, so you can't pay your lawyer. My advice is to steer clear of this company. I wish I had. I personally know 4 agents who are suing Horace Mann and several more agents who want to, but can't afford to because Horace Mann violated their contracts and refused to pay them per their contractual agreement.

Advice to Management

Your lawyer hasn't responded to my lawyer since June. At the very least, I'd appreciate a response. Just an FYI, I have every correspondence between Horace Mann Reps and myself from April, 2012 forward. I kept all documents relating to issues within the company and issues between Horace Mann and my clients. I have 20,000+ pages at the ready ;) Even though you violated my contract, I've abided by it. My noncompete is up on September 19th, 2017. As you know, I'm a very hard worker. What you may not know about me is that I'm driven by loyalty, ethics, honor, and principle. When I was a little girl, my Dad taught me to fight for what I believe in. Maybe that's why my husband says I'm 4'11" with a 7' foot-tall attitude. I simply don't give up. I recommend you honor my more-than-reasonable request.... And very soon.

5. "Wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Support, income, incentives , management, IT

Cons

Hard work, I can't think of any more cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Horace Mann Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad you're here and happy!

"Horrible Mann"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None anymore. Not the same company it was ten years ago.

Cons

No clear direction. Company changes management constantly. Three CEO's in 10 years. Agents contracts and compensation change yearly. Claim agents own business, yet contract changed to allow for company to take business for zero compensation at any time. Very poor outlook.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, you are likely to be replaced soon anyway.

"Exclusive Agent, Big Mistake"

Former Contractor - Exclusive Agent in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Contractor - Exclusive Agent in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Horace Mann as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of one, I would say there is a niche market, but in Maryland no one has ever heard of Horace Mann, so you spend all of your time Marketing their name, and spending your own money, for teachers that are not that interested in making changes in Insurance or Retirement. Also other 403(b) providers offer better fund options.

Bonuses for selling make it worthwhile, but I could not meet them. (I have over 10 years in the insurance industry, and sold over 100 policies a month, so I know what I am doing.)

Met the CEO, she is actually really smart, but it takes too log for these ideas to get implemented, and basically Horace Mann is just following other what big insurance companies are already doing.

Cons

No Name Recognition. Terrible Underwriting. When I finally got customers to write a policy, underwriters always pushed back. No Support in the Field. Field Sales Leader acted as my boss, and told me what to do, and spent my money like it was never ending.There was Field Trainer, but he lived 6 hours away, and never helped with what I needed.

2 Months after I opened my Office, I found out that my district was looking to remove Horace Mann as a 403(B) provider, so there went my market, and that is not what I signed up for. Also, I found out several details months after I opened, that would have changed my mind in opening an office. Also, I was forced to rent an office, but never spent any time there. Maybe if I could have operated from home, I could have stayed longer, but I was out over $1000 a month in expenses, before marketing. Getting leads was easy, but then none of them ever returned my calls.

Payment plan is way out of whack. For some reason, they collect the entire first 6 moths of premium is 3 and a half months. They told me that it is a Maryland Law, but every other Insurance company you take the premium and divide by 6 or 12, and that is your payment.

I know that this company has a good reputation, and I have friends that are doing well, but not in this market.

Here is an example, of poor Management. My FSL and I went to 10 schools and set 2 Appointments. It took 6 hours. I sent 10 emails to different schools and set 3 appointments. It took 10 minutes.

Also my FSL took over every appointment that we went on, when we cold called, she "vomited" information on secretaries, that often were not the decision maker, and did not know when to shut up and listen. She would also make an appointment to discuss topic "A", and then go to the appointment and talk about something totally different.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Modernize. Give new agents more financial support. Make the regions smaller, and more cohesive. The entire east coast is one regions, but Maryland is a much different market than rural Virginia, and the Carolinas

8. "Exclusive Agent"

Current Contractor - Exclusive Agent
    Current Contractor - Exclusive Agent

I have been working at Horace Mann as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of accounts on the books

Cons

Only work with new agents

Advice to Management

Help keep agents you have

"Exclusive Agent"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent

Pros

Great Company, Great People to work with. Best Products and niche market being teacher what better clients. Very rewarding incentives. Made trips to Hong Kong, Beijing China, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Greece,Turkey, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires and many other wonderful places. Income increase every year as you build your book of business $350+ after 18 years.

Cons

Hard work. Constant learning new products and continuing education. Struggle the first few years but stick with it and it will become very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep moving forward.

"The WORST Insurance Company on the planet!"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of one

Cons

Technology is 20 years behind. Support for agents in the field doesn't exist. Compensation for agents is the lowest in the industry. Management will lie to your face and has cut pay for agents 2 years in a row. This is clearly not a company that is "for educator's", they care about two things, wall st. investors and upper management compensation. Customer retention is a nightmare, claims department is the worst in the industry. I struggle to find a reason this company will be in business 5 years from now. Most teachers in my area of the country do not want anything to do with Horace Mann because they have either been screwed over by them, or know another teacher who has. Agents get no benefits at all, and the pay is the lowest in the industry. Find another insurance company to work for, this one will destroy your reputation.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises to agents. Invest in real technology. Stop lying and stealing from your employees just to push more money up to the top.