Horace Mann Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marita Zuraitis

Pros
  • Good benefits, and liberal vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• Niche Market with great compensation opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance and the PD Adjuster is inundated and required to go above and beyond to stay afloat which creates immediate burnout (in 6 reviews)

• I can get kudos for providing excellent customer service but then get negative comments from quality management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Support, income, incentives , management, IT

Cons

Hard work, I can't think of any more cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary for adjusters. Nice break room.

Cons

No work-life balance. Terrible upper management. Toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers who do not respect their employees.

"Claims Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

A lot of companies talk about embracing diversity or having an inclusive culture. Horace Mann is one of the few companies I've come across where talent is accepted regardless of the package in which it's wrapped. You don't work with someone just because they checked a box on a certain demographic, you work with a "Jane" or a "Tom" who doesn't care what you look like as long as you are doing the job you were hired to do. There are a lot of good people there working hard and trying their best.

Cons

If you can't roll with changes, this is not the place for you. Auto PD is frequently understaffed which affects intake and pendings. Like many other places, there are favorites who can do no wrong. Deal with it. Budgets and performance goals don't always make sense.

Advice to Management

Embrace scale and scope afforded to you as a niche market company. Don't try to be Nationwide or Allstate.

"Better is out there...."

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Location and that's about it.

Cons

This is by far one of the worst companies to work for. Unrealistic expectations of employee, no training, extremely high turn over rate in the claims department across the board and will fire you if you get behind to justify hiring new staff because they cannot manage the company properly.

There is no work life balance and the PD Adjuster is inundated and required to go above and beyond to stay afloat which creates immediate burnout.

Adjusters are more like customer service reps instead of licensed adjusters because the company is too cheap to create a customer service team to buffer calls. This place is a mess.

Advice to Management

There should be an evaluation from the top, down. Trim the fat, get rid of high salaried managers and focus on your claims process because you are going to lose customers because the claims experience is tough not only for the rep but the consumer as well.

Get caught up with the new millennium and revamp your marketing department. There's no reason for stagnate growth in generating more business in this industry.
    More growth can come if marketing is willing to step outside the box in their marketing tactics.
    Educate your agents on what they are selling.

Also, people will stay with a company that will not work their employees to death. Pounding employees with heavy caseloads isn't helping anyone. And for the senior managers, please consider working a desk for a week instead of asking for feedback. The only way to understand your employee and why people quit or give up is if you get in the trenches.

Pay critical attention to your claims unit because this department will make or break whether or not a customer decides to stay or shop elsewhere for insurance. Not enough attention is placed on this department despite being the lifeline of the organization.

"Horace Mann"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

The pay is reasonable for claims adjusters.
    Nice building in a great location. Lots of food places to eat nearby.
    Lots of parking outside.

Cons

Antiquated way for claims to be disbursed and handled among claims adjusters.
    Adjusters must handle everything from the injury to the total loss, which can make for a very adversarial setting most days.
    Most organizations have specialized their adjusters which makes them more efficient and knowledgeable.
    The system of putting claims into a tool to "settle" the claim for adjusters is borderline unethical and simply takes the adjuster out of the settlement process.

Advice to Management

Free your adjusters to only handle certain states.
    Remove the tool that settles the claims for the adjusters. It is not helpful to adjusters with more than 3 months of experience.

7. "Access is Key"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have good access to the schools to which you are assigned you will do quite well.

Cons

If you have limited or no access to the schools to which you are assigned you will have to be very creative to generate leads.

"Lazy Agents"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outbound is fairly easy, because it is mainly leaving voicemails. If clients have an on-going/ good relationship with their agent it makes it very easy to get appointments for said agent. If agents have a flexible schedule/ are willing to accommodate client to meet at the client's convenes, appointments will follow.

Cons

Most of the time clients are not in good standing with agent, therefor are not pleased to hear from "Horace Mann."

Advice to Management

Outbound is not a personal secretary for any one agent. Please be mindful we cater to several, if not many other agents' clients in a day. Agents: Please be flexible with your schedule and in good standing with clients, if so- you WILL receive appointments! Also please be detailed with any specifics we should be aware of to seem like us CSRs are locals, it takes away the scare of a scam/telemarketer feel to the call.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Management in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Springfield, IL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good overall benefits. Company and management are genuinely concerned about work/life balance. Many programs to help local schools and community, put together by non-management staff, for the most part.

Cons

Too many in senior management don't actually live locally-they commute and don't become part of the community. Salaries for senior management are obscene, while some clerical salaries are barely above poverty line.

Advice to Management

Listen to your rank and file employees. Push down responsibility and accountability to lower levels-they can handle it!

"Violated Agent Contract"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in Woodland, WA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initial insurance rates were competitive to bring on new clients; however, renewal rates were fraught with issues such as discounts falling off that shouldn't have and unreasonable rate increases for good risks. The claims department worked really hard to go above and beyond for my clients. It's too bad they are overworked and under appreciated. Premier services could make changes to my clients' policies without causing any problems; however, if a client called into the customer service center, the service reps were typically rude, untrained, and incapable of completing even simple tasks.

Cons

I purchased a book. I was shown proof it was worth $60k. In reality it was worth $40k. I built it up each year, but the renewals barely increased. I was spinning my wheels and couldn't figure out what was happening. Eventually I found out my Field Sales Leader had been giving chunks of my book of business to new agents as an incentive to come on board in other territories. I also found out Horace Mann was transferring clients to other agents based on post office change of address form alerts they purchased from USPS (without checking with the clients first to verify the clients actually moved). This caused people who temporarily changed their address while on vacation to be switched to a new agent, and people who moved from one city to a neighboring one to be switched to a closer agent even though both agents shared the territory. Apparently Horace Mann eventually realized 70% of these post office transfers were incorrect, not to mention illegal since WA clients would sometimes be transferred to FL auto policies. It also caused conflict between agents who shared territories. I was promised a "protected territory" no other agent was allowed to market in. However, I found out Horace Mann had appointed independent agents in my protected territory which was a violation of the contract I signed. When I found the lost clients who had been transferred to new agents as an illegal incentive and the clients who had been transferred to other agents due to the erroneous post office change of addresses, I asked Horace Mann to fix these errors as they cost me $100k+ over a five year period (probably closer to $250k). I just wanted Horace Mann to do the right thing and put my clients back in my book since I'd worked so hard to build my business up. Instead, Horace Mann was worried I'd sue them. I also let Horace Mann know I'd be taking 2 weeks off for medical treatment. I hired Premier Services to handle my clients in my medical absence per the advice of management. Instead of doing the right thing, Horace Mann's response was to terminate my contract stating I couldn't care for my clients if I had to take medical time off. A termination of the contract by either party should have given me a years' renewal commission per the contract language ($60k). Instead, they gave me a check for $1.96. Yes, you saw that right - one dollar and ninety six cents. Now I am suing for breach of contract plus damages. The Horace Mann contract stated I owned my business, I definitely paid for all my business expenses like a business owner would, yet they violated my contract and treated me like an employee. I have a feeling this will end up being a class action lawsuit before too long. I heard they recently violated the contracts of 4 other exclusive agents in Oregon last month. I won't let you get away with this, Horace Mann.

Advice to Management

Honor your word and your legally binding contracts.

"The truth..."

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will have a way to pay your bills. The break room is clean. Fairly easy to get hired. They are great at making shareholders and public believe that the company is in good shape.

Cons

Wow where do I start!? Let's start with the stress level...it's high. It's high because there are too few people in claims. Claims adjusters are bombarded with complaints from agents and educators which takes a toll on every adjuster. There are so many complaints because of a plethora of reasons including the seriously outdated claims software(think about Atari), inefficient processes that make absolutely no sense and senior/middle/front line management that does not communicate clear/consice instructions about responsibilities and duties.

The only way to navigate the corporate structure is to brown nose your way up the ladder. Forget about a raise for a while, they are in too much trouble from violations with the SEC, DOI, IRS and FINRA.

You'll ask yourself daily..."is my job safe"

Advice to Management

You all will do your own thing anyway so who cares about giving you advise.