Horace Mann Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marita Zuraitis

Pros
Cons
  • The health insurance is expensive (in 7 reviews)

• Nearly no one at home office knows what they're doing (in 5 reviews)

1. "EA"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Horace Mann as a contractor

Pros

You're your own boss
    Competitive pay
    Access to your market

Cons

You pay for everything- bit necessarily a con depending how frugal you are

Advice to Management

Upgrade software technology

2. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Family like work environment. Many people are passionate about their jobs and what they do.

Cons

No majar downsides. As with any employer you career is what you make it.

"Exclusive Agent"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent

Pros

Great Company, Great People to work with. Best Products and niche market being teacher what better clients. Very rewarding incentives. Made trips to Hong Kong, Beijing China, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Greece,Turkey, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires and many other wonderful places. Income increase every year as you build your book of business $350+ after 18 years.

Cons

Hard work. Constant learning new products and continuing education. Struggle the first few years but stick with it and it will become very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep moving forward.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything. Everyone is very nice. You have ability to be promoted very quickly. No one micromanages you. You are kind of left on your own. Having said that, if you need help all you have to do is ask. The process changes are having positive affects company wide. leadership cars. I have literally had the VP of claims come to me outside and ask if I knew of anything we could improve to make my job easier.

Cons

I really do not have any cons for HM. I guess I can list the others that people have posted here and let you know my feelings about them.

1. Work Load- I do see a lot of people working late. I don't really understand this. I get the same amount of work as everyone else (plus I am frequently asked to assist others) and I never work late or on days off.

2.Process changes- I can kind of see how this would irritate people (especially those who are shortsighted). I enjoy the change; it is not common to find a company that can identify waste in its process and make over night corrections to increase efficiency. If you have a good idea about making something better; You will be listened to.

3.Technology- The claims system is pretty easy to use. The company is also in the process of changing to a new claims system. It's not rocket science.

4.Upset customers- Answer your phone, check your messages, and return calls. The yelling will stop. The people we talk to pay for us to pick up the phone when it rings... Answer it.

5. "Lack of Care"- Utter nonsense. If you are being treated with lack of care it is because you are a lost cause. In my first week I met the CEO, I shoot the breeze with the some of the most powerful people in the company on a daily basis. These people actually remember your name and know what you have going on. They are always quick to encourage employees. Its not some fake sweet talk to make you feel good. These people genuinely care about you.

Lack of training- Once again... It's not rocket science. Training should be maybe 1 week of policy, 2 weeks of liability and 2 days of CWS. You should know by that point if it is for you or not.

To sum it up: I think some of the old workers were pushing stuff on others. The CEO has cleaned house. She has placed people in leadership that care and work. I feel like they would not have me do something they have not already done. The new direction of the company is pretty exciting.

If you show up, attempt to do your job, and are nice; You will be alright.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The changes I have seen in the short time I have been there have made my job even easier and allowed us to better serve claimants and policy holders.

"Physical Damage Specialist"

Current Employee - Physical Damage Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Physical Damage Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company likes to promote from within, decent work-life balance, employee recognition, great health insurance benefits. Good company overall, and they work really hard to make sure employees feel important.

Cons

High Workload, compensation below industry average. Company is going through lots of changes, but this is expected with any company.

7. "GREAT COMPANY!"

Pros

Stability, great people, great industry

Cons

I don not have any cons

"Great place"

Current Employee - Claims Counselor
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Having come from other carriers, I was afraid of what a smaller company could offer me. From the moment I walked through the door, I have been treated with respect from my peers and management, and i have been given the opportunity to shine. Many of these reviews talk about work load and answering phones, it's claims, and trust me the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. This is a great company with the potential to grow. Being a smaller company you have the opportunity to get to know management on a more personal level, instead of being a number in a larger company. They give you all of the opportunity to excel at your job, and to develop yourself.

Cons

The salary range is a little low, and the technology is a little older.

Advice to Management

Keep working on the employee culture

9. "Summer Marketing Intern"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Springfield, IL
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly staff and management, flexible work schedule, fun and challenging work, warm welcome from all staff and employees

Cons

Sometimes the work that was given could be considered monotonous. Some times not very clear with deadlines. Older staff

10. "No problems here"

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

The office atmosphere is very friendly and people tend to get along. The amount of work you are given can be handled easily if you stay on task.

Cons

Springfield is a very boring city unless you love Abraham Lincoln and everything that has to do with him.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

11. "Fantastic company focused on the needs of Educators."

Pros

There are great people working there.

Cons

The compensation is below industry averages.