Horace Mann Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 8, 2017

5.0
Marita Zuraitis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, and liberal vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• Best Products and niche market being teacher what better clients (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has no work life balance and they expect the same from employees (in 6 reviews)

• For instance, after management told me to hire a customer service center called Premier Services (at a whopping (in 9 reviews)

1. "Talent Acquisition"

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, awesome people and very flat management structure

Cons

technology is a bit dated, but improvements are being made.

2. "Field Sales Recruiter"

Current Employee - Field Sales Recruiter in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Recruiter in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, team work, helping to make sure our educators are being taken care of, your opinion and ideas matter, community involvement, great retirement plan

Cons

Wish family health premium was better - but overall the benefit package is in line with other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing us to make suggestions and improve on our process and we will continue to grow in leaps and bounds!

3. "IT Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Horace Mann as an intern

Pros

Team members are nice and willing to help, if you ask for it. You get a good experience of what the industry is like and you don't feel like you are just an intern. You feel like you are truly an integral part of the team.

Cons

No cons. Was an excellent establishment.

4. "Wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Support, income, incentives , management, IT

Cons

Hard work, I can't think of any more cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Horace Mann Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad you're here and happy!

"Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great commissions. Great claims satisfaction for my clients. Great rates and the fact that we work with the educational community makes my job even better and more satisfying.

Cons

I do not have any to share

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Horace Mann Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad you're here, doing well and happy!

"EA"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Horace Mann as a contractor

Pros

You're your own boss
    Competitive pay
    Access to your market

Cons

You pay for everything- bit necessarily a con depending how frugal you are

Advice to Management

Upgrade software technology

7. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Family like work environment. Many people are passionate about their jobs and what they do.

Cons

No majar downsides. As with any employer you career is what you make it.

"Exclusive Agent"

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent

Pros

Great Company, Great People to work with. Best Products and niche market being teacher what better clients. Very rewarding incentives. Made trips to Hong Kong, Beijing China, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Greece,Turkey, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires and many other wonderful places. Income increase every year as you build your book of business $350+ after 18 years.

Cons

Hard work. Constant learning new products and continuing education. Struggle the first few years but stick with it and it will become very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep moving forward.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything. Everyone is very nice. You have ability to be promoted very quickly. No one micromanages you. You are kind of left on your own. Having said that, if you need help all you have to do is ask. The process changes are having positive affects company wide. leadership cars. I have literally had the VP of claims come to me outside and ask if I knew of anything we could improve to make my job easier.

Cons

I really do not have any cons for HM. I guess I can list the others that people have posted here and let you know my feelings about them.

1. Work Load- I do see a lot of people working late. I don't really understand this. I get the same amount of work as everyone else (plus I am frequently asked to assist others) and I never work late or on days off.

2.Process changes- I can kind of see how this would irritate people (especially those who are shortsighted). I enjoy the change; it is not common to find a company that can identify waste in its process and make over night corrections to increase efficiency. If you have a good idea about making something better; You will be listened to.

3.Technology- The claims system is pretty easy to use. The company is also in the process of changing to a new claims system. It's not rocket science.

4.Upset customers- Answer your phone, check your messages, and return calls. The yelling will stop. The people we talk to pay for us to pick up the phone when it rings... Answer it.

5. "Lack of Care"- Utter nonsense. If you are being treated with lack of care it is because you are a lost cause. In my first week I met the CEO, I shoot the breeze with the some of the most powerful people in the company on a daily basis. These people actually remember your name and know what you have going on. They are always quick to encourage employees. Its not some fake sweet talk to make you feel good. These people genuinely care about you.

Lack of training- Once again... It's not rocket science. Training should be maybe 1 week of policy, 2 weeks of liability and 2 days of CWS. You should know by that point if it is for you or not.

To sum it up: I think some of the old workers were pushing stuff on others. The CEO has cleaned house. She has placed people in leadership that care and work. I feel like they would not have me do something they have not already done. The new direction of the company is pretty exciting.

If you show up, attempt to do your job, and are nice; You will be alright.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The changes I have seen in the short time I have been there have made my job even easier and allowed us to better serve claimants and policy holders.

"Physical Damage Specialist"

Current Employee - Physical Damage Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Physical Damage Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company likes to promote from within, decent work-life balance, employee recognition, great health insurance benefits. Good company overall, and they work really hard to make sure employees feel important.

Cons

High Workload, compensation below industry average. Company is going through lots of changes, but this is expected with any company.