Horace Mann Reviews | Glassdoor

Horace Mann Reviews

Updated May 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good benefits, and liberal vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• Niche Market with great compensation opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance and the PD Adjuster is inundated and required to go above and beyond to stay afloat which creates immediate burnout (in 6 reviews)

• I can get kudos for providing excellent customer service but then get negative comments from quality management (in 8 reviews)

"Horrible Mann"

Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Exclusive Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None anymore. Not the same company it was ten years ago.

Cons

No clear direction. Company changes management constantly. Three CEO's in 10 years. Agents contracts and compensation change yearly. Claim agents own business, yet contract changed to allow for company to take business for zero compensation at any time. Very poor outlook.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, you are likely to be replaced soon anyway.

"Not a bad place to start if you don't mind living in a small boring town"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Pros

Springfield is a cheap place to live.
    Good study program and nothing to do in Springfield so you can focus on passing exams.
    3 weeks vacation not bad.
    Opportunities to move up quickly since lot of actuaries leave after passing a few exams.

Cons

Nothing to do in Springfield and surrounded by corn fields. St. Louis is 2 hrs away.

Company is super cheap on technology. Was using an ancient and super slow PC. Having to go to DOI to scan rate filings rather than spend $50 to download online...

You won't be working with the best & brightest. Conservative town and employees. Many employees are friendly but don't have degree & never been outside the midwest.

"Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Counselor in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good Benefits, very generous, 401K and matching

Cons

Constant change, adjusters typically overworked and overwhelmed

"Claims Counselor"

Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent schedule & there are SOME team-oriented co-workers.

Cons

The managers in PD are fake, two-faced, and base the assigned claims they hand out on whether they are cool with you or not. They expect you to not voice your concerns. When you do, you are black-balled and treated unfairly. They always pick on you like you're in elementary school in a way that makes you feel bullied. The funny thing is, the first day you start, everything seems amazing when they walk you around to meet the office staff. But once you are there a week or so, you start to see the negative work environment and overworked co-workers. You cannot use your voice. The only way to get by is to keep a smile on your face (even if it's FAKE), don't question your manager, don't tell them that you need something from them to be successful (because they won't give it to you), and don't complain...EVER!!! They will make working there the most HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE you've ever had if you do. Take this warning seriously. If you want to be treated like a child or slave, go work there. If not, go find a better company to work for.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk the talk...walk the walk!!! Don't tell the staff to act a certain way when you aren't setting a very good example of how they should behave. I've witnessed quite a lot of bullying and I am terrified to tell anyone there because I will lose my job. I hope you know that what comes around goes around. The managers who are doing dirt will certainly get it back. **Wishing I could name names on this site!!!**

"Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Auto PD Claims Adjuster in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Auto PD Claims Adjuster in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, No experience required, Good amount of vacation time especially after several years

Cons

"Gotcha" mentality among management. It is not possible to follow all of the expectations or meet all of the targets all of the time, so if they like you they just choose to ignore that you didn't do ____ on time, or didn't hit one target or another. If they don't like you, then it's super easy for them to write you up on something; they always have a running list of all the things you didn't do exactly right. I was never written up (I was liked), but it made me so mad to see people mistreated there. They bully people about using sick time and medical leave, and harass you about it when you come back. One person I worked with had a genuine medical issue that was very personal, and one of the upper managers started a rumor that she had an alcohol problem. (She didn't, by the way.) I did a good job, and got plenty of recognition, but it always felt hollow. I hated working there. My co-workers were (for the most part) really super people, but the managers behaved like prison guards. They should be ashamed of themselves. I still have friends that work there. Some things have changed, but it's still not a good situation.

Advice to Management

Treat people like human beings. They are not your slaves. They deserve courtesy and respect. You may be a manager, but that doesn't mean you are good at your job nor that 75% of the other people who work there wouldn't be better at your job than you are. Be humble.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and work schedule.

Cons

Low base salary and commission/retention fluctuates to much from month to month.

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Pros

Easy traffic, great hours (most days out by 5:30 or sooner); people have good intentions

Cons

Most areas are one deep with little to no overlap of skills. Too many meetings about the meetings bog people away from actual work.

Advice to Management

Open your minds to a future company and not just a fixture of the past agency models. Listen to multiple voices, not just a select few.

"FSL"

Current Employee - Field Sales Leader in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Leader in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Horace Mann (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, like some of the coworkers.

Cons

Way too much travel and management are very difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

Stop belittling people and try some compassion.

"Director"

Former Employee - West Virginia in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - West Virginia in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Horace Mann (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, location, some people, support furthering education, relaxed dress code, office environment, health care, 401k, vacation package, support of minorities diversity.

Cons

Didn't honor guarantees made to customers. Profits were more important than honoring their promises. Hired management from outside that often was worthless

Advice to Management

Be ethical and set higher expectations for new management and implement new hirer drug testing. Eliminate cafeteria. Hirer more people that are competent

"Voted a great place to work, but really??"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better than usual vacation time. Campus is well taken care of. Onsite cafeteria (although pricey). There are lots of opportunities to make improvements (just don't be too disappointed when you get shot down).

Cons

IT is a complete cluster. People don't do their jobs and end up with more responsibility. It is like a junior high popularity contest and management is included. Management does nothing here except go to meetings and track their employees' vacation time. Their is no direction. Our CIO surrounds herself with weak management that won't do the right things. The last slap in the face has been rewriting the review process where everyone is scored to look like they are barely doing their jobs - except the popular ones. The scoring is Does not meet, Generally meets, Meets and sometimes exceeds, Consistently exceeds, and Far exceeds. Even the smart and hard workers get Generally meets. How's that for a moral boost?! Just another way to only give a 1% increase! Meanwhile the Directors and officers receive huge bonuses! If we are lucky enough to get the 1% increase, it doesn't even cover the cost of increase for our medical insurance.

Advice to Management

From the CIO down, clean house and add some competent management that will offer some clear direction. Also reward the good workers instead of the popular ones!