Horace Mann Reviews | Glassdoor

Horace Mann Reviews

Updated May 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good benefits, and liberal vacation time (in 8 reviews)

• Niche Market with great compensation opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance and the PD Adjuster is inundated and required to go above and beyond to stay afloat which creates immediate burnout (in 6 reviews)

• I can get kudos for providing excellent customer service but then get negative comments from quality management (in 8 reviews)

"Some Good ... Sadly Mostly Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some excellent people in the organization that are ethical, hard working, smart, dedicated and a joy to work with.

Cons

Management sells a line how they are such a progressive forward thinking insurance company when in fact they are decades behind in their management, vision and technology. There is a cadre of people within the organization that are arrogant, spiteful and completely closed to current ideas in regard to management practices. Many many managers have not worked any significant time anywhere else they live in a closed world of how things should and should not work. Some managers are profoundly unprofessional, rude and belligerent to anyone they feel is beneath their own delusional stature in the organization. The occurrences where employees are belittled and insulted in front of their peers is shocking.

Aside from the state agencies, Horace Mann is one of the 'prestigious' places to work and management feels like they are the only game in town for many of the employees. In the time I have been with the organization I have seen such a large number of lies and deception and political backstabbing that would make a HS look mature and professional.

DO NOT go to HR with anything that sounds like a complaint as they will quickly take it up the chain to make sure that person is blackballed.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a great Cheerleader however it seems she may actually believe what she tries to tell everyone about how great the company is ... maybe she truly does not care. The Board of Directors needs to force a serious management consulting team to review internal dynamics, internal processes and HR approaches.

Managers that are rude and unprofessional and that have been reported repeatedly to HR should be investigated and terminated. HR needs to be honest and actually work for the employees ... oh that's right HR is there to protect the corporation and the Horace Mann HR barely even pretends like they are there for the employee.

Get a realistic growth plan that does not depend on radical changes in the technology. The massive technology changes are coming and the management is absolutely clueless as to how to transform the company. Hire a IT transformation consultant to take over and clean house. Just because the management sheers about how great the systems are (THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS) does not make them so ...

"Current Employee - IT"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company looks good on the outside.

Cons

It is too much of a popularity contest similar to high school games. You cannot trust anyone because of the two faced behavior practices. There is too much drama, gossip and surrounded with a lot of very unhealthy people. There should be physical fitness requirements enforced for any job. They are more of a liability to the company than an asset in most cases.

Management does not know your job or how to do it so you will never have an honest or fair review.

Advice to Management

Management is untruthful to one another and employees with no thought of owning their own responsibilities. Professionalism, honesty and confidentiality are not a part of the equation. It is poor practice to get involved in gossiping in the workplace amongst yourselves. The law says you are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Offer more support and training to your current employees instead of looking to train new employees. Some of the management needs to be placed in corrective training to learn how to offer more resolutions to a problem rather than placing the blame on their least favorites.

If you are not a part of the solution then you are the problem.

3. "Management"

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

there are things with all company you are going to like, but most of all everything is good

Advice to Management

slow down on some projects

"Auto Claims Counselor, stay away"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Counselor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no pros that I experienced!

Cons

too much work for the few employees that try to stick it out.

5. "Member of Contact Center Support Staff (Mid Level)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work at Horace Mann are great. Good benefits, and liberal vacation time.

Cons

The company is currently going through many changes. Favoritism is still a big issue. When applying for internal positions it takes forever to hear whether you will be interviewed if you hear at all. Lower level employees are treated as though they do not matter. Many highly experienced employees have been laid off due to job elimination, and this has left huge gaps. Many of the people in upper management overtly show disdain for lower level employees suggestions and opinions.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

6. "Customer Service REp"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Springfield, IL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting salary and shift differential is not bad for customer service rep in call center.

Cons

There is extreme favoritism among management. Even though you work hard to advance its all about who you know. Untrained managment doesn't know what to do.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything. Everyone is very nice. You have ability to be promoted very quickly. No one micromanages you. You are kind of left on your own. Having said that, if you need help all you have to do is ask. The process changes are having positive affects company wide. leadership cars. I have literally had the VP of claims come to me outside and ask if I knew of anything we could improve to make my job easier.

Cons

I really do not have any cons for HM. I guess I can list the others that people have posted here and let you know my feelings about them.

1. Work Load- I do see a lot of people working late. I don't really understand this. I get the same amount of work as everyone else (plus I am frequently asked to assist others) and I never work late or on days off.

2.Process changes- I can kind of see how this would irritate people (especially those who are shortsighted). I enjoy the change; it is not common to find a company that can identify waste in its process and make over night corrections to increase efficiency. If you have a good idea about making something better; You will be listened to.

3.Technology- The claims system is pretty easy to use. The company is also in the process of changing to a new claims system. It's not rocket science.

4.Upset customers- Answer your phone, check your messages, and return calls. The yelling will stop. The people we talk to pay for us to pick up the phone when it rings... Answer it.

5. "Lack of Care"- Utter nonsense. If you are being treated with lack of care it is because you are a lost cause. In my first week I met the CEO, I shoot the breeze with the some of the most powerful people in the company on a daily basis. These people actually remember your name and know what you have going on. They are always quick to encourage employees. Its not some fake sweet talk to make you feel good. These people genuinely care about you.

Lack of training- Once again... It's not rocket science. Training should be maybe 1 week of policy, 2 weeks of liability and 2 days of CWS. You should know by that point if it is for you or not.

To sum it up: I think some of the old workers were pushing stuff on others. The CEO has cleaned house. She has placed people in leadership that care and work. I feel like they would not have me do something they have not already done. The new direction of the company is pretty exciting.

If you show up, attempt to do your job, and are nice; You will be alright.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The changes I have seen in the short time I have been there have made my job even easier and allowed us to better serve claimants and policy holders.

"Claims Counselor"

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Coworkers were great. My supervisor was awesome. Nice bathrooms and break room. Good recognition ceremonies. 3 weeks of vacation.

Cons

High work volume. Dealing with upset customers from other workers who have dropped the ball. The better worker you are, the more you pick up everyone else's slack. Felt like I was tied to the phone. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Lots of disgruntled workers and unhappy customers.

Advice to Management

Hire more ground level workers and less AVPS. Listen to your employees. Help those that are struggling to succeed by spending more one on on time if needed. Don't pile on more work to those that do a good job- they then start to struggle and their work suffers making the customers suffer.

"WORST OFFICE/COMPANY I'VE WORKED FOR - BEWARE!!"

Former Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers were friendly. The office celebrates frequently, most likely to compensate for the awful work environment. The niche of the company is educators and it's nice to think you can help them in some way.

Monday - Friday job - Thank God, because you'll NEED the weekend. (if you don't find yourself working them to keep up)

Cons

Enter at your own risk. This company will sell you anything to get you in the door, but it will only take a month to figure out, there's a lot wrong with this office. Good Ol' Boy system - here, if you kiss up hard enough, you can succeed. Adjusters are OVERLOADED with work and brainwashed by management to believe this is normal. This office is a revolving door full of people looking for a way to get out or stuck because they have families to work for. People are working 10+ hours a day, falling victim to stress related illnesses and still not bring home the money they need. The claims department is run by complaining customers and their agents.

There is no time for career development and managers do not take time to grow you for opportunities. There is no career path program available to current employees because they have not developed one. People tend to get written up just before annual bonuses, making them ineligible to receive the compensation they worked to achieve.

Be on top of your own licenses - they'll have you working claims in states that require licensing that you don't actually have.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I can say in this section that has no already been heard in this office. Management seems to flip coins to make decisions and goes on with them with little intelligence/feedback as to if their plan will succeed.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU HIRE AN INDEPENDENT BUSINESS CONSULTANT/FIRM!!! Someone from the outside needs to rake this company (specifically the Irving office) with a fine tooth comb and rid it of the fleas and parasites that run the facility. Your updates are slow and you keep running this office like a small business and it's not working.

10. ""Adjuster""

Former Employee - Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Adjuster in Irving, TX

Pros

Co-workers - keep you going through your day, enough to tolerate the poor career conditions.

Cons

Retaliatory management. We were given survey that was supposedly anonymous, most employees that responded negatively were either terminated or made to WANT to leave. Excessive work load with little training. The trainer at the time was frequently on leave for months at a time. Unfair employee review process due no logic being applied to surveys received. New CEO at yearly kickoff decided to punish the claims offices and reward no recognition to the claims department, and instead issue all rewards to the IT department. No communication between claims, management and corporate offices. If not employed at the Springfield, IL office you are treated as second class. Very poor benefits.