Horizon Air Reviews | Glassdoor

Horizon Air Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and schedules are based off of flight schedules so change every 3-4 months (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours (sometimes 6 or 7 legs a day), terrible pay, Alaska treats the horizon crews horrible (alaskas ugly step child) (in 7 reviews)

"Don't waste your time."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, provided they aren't management. Good flight benefits if you can get on a flight.

Cons

Terrible management, no vision for company, terrible relationship with parent company, abuse by management, dwindling healthcare benefits, criminally low pay, disregard for fatigued employees, defeatist mentality.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your employees, listen to them, and do what they say for once. Don't strongarm them into contract renegotiations that would not be required if not for poor leadership and mismanagement.

"The good no longer outweighs the bad."

Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flight benefits (if you can get on a flight)

Cons

High turnover, Poor training standards, Revolving managers, Noncompetitive wages, Mandatory corporate pep rallies, Unclear vision for the future, Sour relationship with parent company (Alaska Airlines)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Lots of travel but difficult pay"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Portland, OR

I worked at Horizon Air part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is like family! Never had a problem with any of my co-workers, they are all a happy bunch and always willing to help!

Cons

Corporate doesn't appreciate employees. I believe it's because they work away from the daily hub-bub and forget what it's like outside of their high-rise operations.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to your employees ~ they are the ones who do the hard work and they are also the ones who interact with your customers continuously! A happy employee will SHINE for your customers!

5. "Passenger Service Agent"

Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel and health benefits
    Quarterly bonuses for hitting performance marks

Cons

Low pay
    Poor work & life balance
    high turn-over rate

Advice to Management

Provide incentive and pay for upward mobility

6. "Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, ever growing/ fun work environment/ travel perks/

Cons

sometimes work several legs with no breaks in a day making for a long exhausting days . More emphasis should be put on recognizing great customer service rather than nit picking what can be trivial issues. i.e. uniform guidelines are strict and can be difficult to adhere to.

Advice to Management

Make decisions based on employee feedback and concerns rather than having hidden agendas.

7. "GSA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are very friendly

Cons

The weather isn't always good

8. "Good place to learn and get some experience."

Former Employee - Pilot/First Officer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Pilot/First Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at Horizon Air (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Excellent training, standards and safety practices. Great place to learn and gain valuable experience. Decent benefits for a regional airline. Bonus pay and travel benefits are better than other regional airlines.

Cons

Low block time and hard to make a good paycheck. Flight time harder to build here than comparable airlines. Upgrade time still longer than other regionals, unless you want to move to Anchorage.

9. "Pilot"

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good, caring people. Well run airline; good maintenance and training.

Cons

Below industry pay. Alaska Air Group management wants to believe the economy is still in recession, throttling employee pay to maximize yield which is far above the industry. Great for investors but bad for employees.

"Upstanding Operation"

Former Employee - First Officer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - First Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at Horizon Air full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as a pilot at Horizon Air for ten years. It is a professional operation, and a top-notch regional airline. At the time I was employed, we had the best regional airline pay rates in the industry. The training department is thorough, fair, and has experienced instructors.

Cons

As with most regionals, they operated understaffed. It was very difficult to make changes to one's schedule, always due to insufficient reserve coverage. Horizon Air is sometimes considered a retirement regional in that many captains choose to spend their entire careers there as they want to remain based in the Pacific Northwest. That said, there is little movement. I spent almost ten years as a first officer. The regional standard at the time was three to four years.

Advice to Management

Think bigger! Growth! The key to keeping the competitors at bay is to constantly seek out opportunities in new markets.

"Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Feels like family, very sincere in this statement. Benefits are awesome, especially if you have time to use them on days off. Just returned from 20 days in Europe and flew delta over for $80. Brand refresh and on boarding of new aircraft means horizon has a bright future.

Cons

Flight attendant pay really is sad. You can always pick up extra trips or promote the Alaska credit card to make ends meet. I'm hopeful our next contract negotiation will put us more in line with the pay scales of mainline Alaska.

Advice to Management

Buy as many of the new jets can and let's make a brand that we can continue to be proud of. Also you get what you pay for, whether it's with ground agents , FAs, pilots (especially!) act like Costco and pay us well and the business overall will benefit from increased productivity, less sick time etc.