Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Reviews | Glassdoor

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey President and CEO Kevin Conlin
Kevin Conlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "some of these employees are work from home and can not afford to go back in the office of course horizon does not care" (in 6 reviews)

• "Work life balance is not supported in the entire company" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Terrific Company to Work For"

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (More than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific work/life balance. Great salary and benefits.

Cons

Open floor plan makes it difficult to conduct business/meetings on the telephone due to too much noise in surrounding area. Huddle/conference rooms were usually taken.

2. "Dope company."

Pros

Benefits, flexible scheduling and abundant career opportunities.

Cons

Strict dress code policy and you’re not allowed to take pics anywhere in or near the building.

3. "Project manager"

I have been working at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time

Pros

great company to work. great benefits.

Cons

majority of workers are contractors.

4. "Think twice...."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Wall, NJ
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Wall, NJ

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great, benefits are good

Cons

The job wasn't as described in onboarding. Our class went two weeks with literally no trainer no direction of what to do. High stress and an enormous amount of material to learn. They throw you into another department without much warning. This is not a family company as I was terminated for missing days because my kids were sick. They made us take all out paid time off at the same time so we didn't miss training. Who gets sick at the same time and can plan it out like that??? Lied too. Treated me like a criminal and I couldn't even get my personal belongings myself.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance. Making a difference in healthcare but treating employees like a number and zero respect. Yes the money is decent but for all the stress and to be treated poorly , I rather pass.

"Medicaid Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jeans everyday. 401k plan. Great health insurance. Working with incredibly smart co-workers. Nice building. Good raises, pto, and pay. work from home depending on what department you’re in.

Cons

The company charges you to park even though they own their own parking lot. Management knows nothing but has the nerve to micromanage. Very cut throat and back stabbing. HR protects no one. You can and will be harassed and nothing will be done. Medicaid program has fallen apart due to outsourcing and a GROSS LACKING of transparency to their hard working employees. Management lies all day everyday. They will say one thing Monday and change it on Tuesday and make you look to be a liar. No one ever admits they’re wrong or don’t know what they’re doing. Complete good ole boys club. Red tape out the wazoo. Hard work means nothing. It’s all about kissing up. Management is scared of employees doing better work and knowing more and will try to cut you down so that you cannot advance or leave the department. While everyone in commercial can work from home, Medicaid employees have to beg and fight because HR gives management 100% power to give and take it how they like. This lead to animosity amongst the team and toward management.

Advice to Management

As listed one million times before. Stop ignoring your employees!!! We do the grunt work. We know what the heck is going on and how to get it done. Support us and stop demanding your ego to be stroked for nothing.

6. "Call Center Representative"

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time

Pros

There are a lot of opportunies for advancement and the pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

There is so much to learn and if you are not up to the challenge of having to take in so much knowledge, you will be in for quite a challenge.

7. "Customer service"

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time

Pros

Great place and benefits

Cons

Not open for change. Need to be more open for opportunity

Advice to Management

...................

8. "Overall experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, commuter plan, Tuition reimbursement, 401K

Cons

Little training, constant changes in management due to turnover

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when things don't work.

"Run the other way"

I have been working at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time

Pros

good benefits, Great people to work with, some what flexible

Cons

Horizon is moving there employees around to different dept because of a recent change in the company. The employees have no say in this and are very frustrated. some of these employees are work from home and can not afford to go back in the office of course horizon does not care. Employees were informed by email on this decision to replace them into different dept and was giving 24 hours to decide. Only 24 hours !!!! Thanks Horizon for showing your employees that you are all for them by not listening to their cries and frustrations ! Thank you !!!

Advice to Management

You should listen to your employees more and not let them feel as though their voices and opinion does not matter. I have never been in a more unprofessional situation than the one you put me in and I will be leaving the company ! Thanks again horizon !

10. "Manage Care Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and room for growth

Cons

A lot of office gossip