Horizon Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Horizon Health Reviews

Updated Sep 27, 2019

3.1
Horizon Health CEO Joe Gallagher (no image)
Joe Gallagher
  1. "Topnotch Behavioral Health Company and Culture"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Horizon Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Numerous opportunities for success. Have support of peers and management, as well as open access to all their expertise. The culture is open and fun. No matter your role, all are focused on providing exemplary patient care.

Cons

Locations spread out all over U.S. so must be effective email communicator.

Horizon Health2019-01-18
  2. "Negligent"

I worked at Horizon Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not sure, had little contact with anyone from Horizons even though they were my employer

Cons

Little supervision of our management/Director who was complicit with covering up abuse and neglect. Got no help from anyone in stopping this until the state was called and closed the unit. Assault and a wrongful death are current in litigation and 55 people ended up without jobs as a result of not being able to stop abuse any way other than calling in state. Worked in a hospital contracting for management... services and saw Horizon staff twice a year for an hour. Horizon staff were insulting, patronizing and had no interest in hearing feedback of employees, thus were not involved at all when abuse/neglect had to be stopped by any means possible.

Advice to Management

Supervise your management staff and listen to lower level employees. Make patient care and safety a priority concern. And treat staff as the professionals that they are rather than bothersome details of your workday.

Horizon Health2019-08-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Cool management"

I have been working at Horizon Health full-time

Pros

Management is amazing, not micro managers, trust their employees. Opportunities to grow if looking.

Cons

Work can be overwhelming at times, nothing major.

Horizon Health2019-04-27
  5. "Outstanding Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Program Director in New Bern, NC

I have been working at Horizon Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Horizon is a company with integrity and focus! You know you are valued as a Horizon employee and that you have the support when you need it. In my almost 28 years of working for Horizon, there has never been a day that I regretted joining the Horizon Team! When you come to work for Horizon please know you are joining a company that is not only the largest Mental Health Management Company in the country, but a... company that respects your contributions to Mental Health or Rehab and those in need. Most people join an organization to be able to make a difference in the lives of others and to feel supported in doing that job. At Horizon you will feel that support! There is significant room for advancement within Horizon. If you are a clinician and want to be a Director there will be opportunity. If you are a Director and would like to become a VP, there will be opportunity. If you are willing to demonstrate your skills and expertise, the company will notice and afford you opportunities. We have support and leadership when we need it, just by picking up the phone and asking for that assistance!

Cons

With Horizon being spread out in so many locations, a shy individual might not take advantage of all the support available, but if you just pick up the phone, you will feel the support, be it from The Regional VPs or colleagues at sites just like yours.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to us, as you already do. Continue to support us, as you already do. Continue to know that our contributions are because we know you listen, care and support what we do to take care of our patients and the contracts at our hospitals!

Horizon Health2018-09-04

Horizon Health Response

September 20, 2018Employee Relations

Thank for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are committed to quality patient care and we will continue to work to create a rewarding and promising workplace for all of our employees.

6. "Work long hours, lazy nurses, & unattainable goals by PD & Senior Management!"

Former Employee - Community Education Manager II

I worked at Horizon Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with experienced, compassionate, dedicated staff. Advanced, knowledgeable training, inpatient behavioral health experience.

Cons

Pay not competitive with similar jobs at othe healthcare facilities. Not family oriented; Just about filling beds for the $$$.

Advice to Management

Get more involved!!! Don't just have a conference call or make a "program visit" when census is down. If the whole program is not on the same page, then no amount of marketing will matter (i.e. Psychiatrists capping beds at 6 because weekend staff says they are short handed or that doc is on-call that weekend!!)

Horizon Health2018-03-28

Horizon Health Response

September 20, 2018Employee Relations

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience. We take all concerns seriously. Please email me directly at employee.relations@horizonhealth.com to further discuss how we can improve.

7. "Social worker"

I worked at Horizon Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay and benefits are ok,

Cons

High local management turnover, Lack of senior management support (Infrequent visits), provider issues with NP, nursing staff aren't being held accountable since last director left

Advice to Management

Can't keep changing management

Horizon Health2017-11-17
  8. "Worst management ever"

in Morehead, KY

I worked at Horizon Health

Pros

Helping people in their time of crisis

Cons

Poor management who don’t care about the employees. Unethical behavior on the unit. No support from management. If you enjoy drama you will enjoy it here

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and work to keep them.

Horizon Health2017-11-07
  9. "community education manager"

I have been working at Horizon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation was adequate related to work

Cons

Training left a lot to be desired

Advice to Management

Develop solid training program for on site locations

Horizon Health2017-07-15
  10. "Another for-profit care company"

Former Employee - Office Staff in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Horizon Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Counselors, compassionate staff, reasonable location

Cons

Odd favoritism with management, very clique-like, very obvious all the cash is going into their pockets and only very little trickles down to line employees

Advice to Management

Go not-for-profit if you are able to divest from current ownership

Horizon Health2017-06-19
  11. "Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at Horizon Health full-time

Pros

Larger company brings some increased resources.

Cons

It's all about saving a contract, at any expense; no loyalty to employees or support to foster development of employees. Corporate staff who are supposed to assist those out in the field have a "do it yourself" attitude. The client is more important than the employee, and therefore, Horizon is always chasing its tail, trying to save its contracts.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. It's so hard to recruit for the specific talent you need in the first place, so why would you treat your valued professionals in such a disposable way?

Horizon Health2017-07-01