Horizon Health Services Reviews

Anne Constantino
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Rewarding & meaningful work with a great team!

Jan 22, 2021 - Finance Team Member in Getzville, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people you work with make all the difference at the workplace, and the team at Horizon are simply the best! It truly is a privilege to work with some of the brightest in their fields. At Horizon, you feel valued and respected no matter what your position. Communication and transparency are important values that support the overall culture at Horizon. There is a high level of support within the finance team. It’s a great learning environment with opportunities for growth and development. I have a sense of pride working for an organization with a mission to help those in your community. I’m grateful and fortunate to work for such an amazing company!

Cons

None. Horizon is a special place to work!

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Congratulations on being part of our Horizon family for over ten years! That is a great accomplishment and we are so grateful for your continued service! It’s always rewarding to hear from employees, like you, who love their job and have chosen to grow their career at Horizon. We love that you feel supported – longevity and feedback like this are some of the best compliments we can ever receive! Thank you again for your service and commitment to our mission. You make a difference every day!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great for first year graduates looking to develop clinical skills

Feb 20, 2021 - Social Woker in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

there are great training opportunities to learn job and continuing education

Cons

paperwork can be stressful, takes a year to learn the job

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We love to hear that you have been able to take advantage of our training opportunities with Horizon University! We offer more than 100 unique courses so every employee can participate in trainings that are most meaningful to them and their position at Horizon. It sounds like you’ve been able to learn a lot! Horizon is here support you throughout your initial training and beyond. You can always reach out to your supervisor and team to help you through some of the more stressful tasks. We’re here to answer any questions you may have and help wherever we can! Thank you so much for your commitment to our mission and our patients – you make a difference every day!

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Horizon Health Services

Jan 22, 2021 - Advanced Practice Clinician in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Horizon's pros include competitive salary/benefits, excellent PTO, extensive onboarding, consistent training, opportunities and encouragement to meet licensure/certification requirements, opportunities for advancement, weekly supervision, mentorships, new hire meetings, opportunities to take on interns, excellent use of technology, team orientation, and a challenging environment. If you want to push yourself to excellence, there is no better place.

Cons

Horizon's can be a very challenging, fast paced environment, particularly for new hires. The first year is spent primarily completing onboarding, attending trainings, developing clinical and organizational skills, rapidly building a caseload, and working toward meeting weekly unit expectations. This period can help to learn/improve skills but also reveals whether or not an employee is suited for the stress/style of the position. A healthy work/life balance is difficult to achieve during early employment. In your first year you may realize Horizon's is either a perfect fit or quite the opposite. Regardless, it will help you progress in the field and learn a great deal about yourself.

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough review! We are so happy that you have been able to take advantage of all the benefits of working at Horizon – everything from innovative trainings through Horizon University to enjoying your much-deserved paid time off really makes a difference! We definitely appreciate the challenges that come with working in the field of mental health and addictions – support is essential. We strive to ensure that our employees aren’t overwhelmed, especially when they are brand new and learning the ins and outs of their new role, so your feedback is helpful as we continue working to make the employee experience is the best it can be! Thank you again for sharing your experience. We appreciate you and all that you do for our patients!

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic Colleagues, Dysfunctional Management

Mar 28, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Coworkers: Innovative, intelligent, underpaid, family-like front staff team who leaned on each other when necessary (not found at every location). Counselors worked their hardest with massive caseloads (50+ patients) despite being micromanaged and overbooked. 2. Patients: Try their best to overcome severe obstacles (overdose, relapse, crises, homelessness, poverty, etc). Often understanding and just want genuine respect and support. There are lots of opportunities to build meaningful relationships with the patients since we called them multiple times a day. Helps to have a sense of humor. 3. Growth: I grew exponentially at Horizon and now know “What Not To Do” in the Human Services field. This has shaped the rest of my career.

Cons

1. Company Diversity- Completely disproportionate to the population Horizon assists. A large number of counselors (to no fault of their own) are white women fresh out of grad school with little experience. Upper management and Senior Staff consist of white women who are detached and desensitized to the needs of both the community and “lower-tier” employees. Upper management works far from any low-income location, and acts accordingly. Very high turnover rate for Black employees. 2. Workload- Impossible and relentless. The boundaries of the Administrative Assistant position expand with every turnover. Turnovers are expected, not addressed, and are usually a result of poor management and prolonged fatigue/rage. Several locations are severely understaffed. Management takes full advantage of new staff and prioritizes pride and image over staff well-being. Supervision meetings are futile, and you’ll be asked why you can’t handle an unreasonable workload, not whether the workload is even necessary. I had 150,000 emails in a year and a half. Not worth $14.10 an hour. 3. Management- Extremely suppressive, passive-aggressive, unprofessional, and narcissistic. Conflicts are not resolved unless you take it to Employee Services, which managers do not advise. Management promotes “yes men” who won’t question them. RNs are put on a pedestal, paid extravagantly, and get away with murder. For months, front staff was outwardly bullied by a counselor and an RN, to which management repeatedly responded, “We’re working on it.” I addressed it myself and was written up. Every problem is met with band-aid solutions and severe gaslighting. You are a mule in this company. 4. Benefits- Abysmal for a generally healthy person. I paid $200 a month for a $4000 deductible I didn’t need. Annual raises were put off for months “due to COVID." Finally, we received a mandatory inflation raise passed off as our performance raise. I ended up making less per paycheck when I quit than when I started. 5. Services- Low-quality despite some amazing counselors. Horizon does not understand or care for the value of Trauma-Informed Care (prioritizing patients’ safety, choice, empowerment, collaboration, intersectionality, and trust), and actively counters some of these principles, which is a huge disservice to “over 22,000 Western New Yorkers a year.” Patients must jump through hoops to discontinue services or switch counselors. Long-term medication dependency (the company's money-maker) is a first resort. Even the word "patient" is disempowering. Patients are severely enabled until they are dependent on the company. When I discussed this with my supervisor, I was told, "Enabling is just going to happen in this field." There are Human Services employers in the area who respect those they help; this is not one of them. Overall, Horizon Health Services is a corrupt, tone-deaf, Medicaid-milking organization with a savior complex. Staff deserves better, and patients deserve better.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Horizon and we hear your frustrations. The challenges you’ve described are not indicative of the employee experience we strive for and we are deeply saddened to know that your relationship with Horizon was so disappointing. Our amazing employees are our greatest asset and we want them to see and feel this every day. We’re sorry that this was not your experience. Your feedback is important and provides us with a valuable opportunity to continue learning and improving. If you would be willing to talk with a member of our Employee Services Team, we would be grateful to learn more. Please consider emailing us at ESTeam@horizon-health.org so we can arrange a time to speak at your convenience. Thank you so much for the services you provided to our patients during your time with Horizon. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you much success in your continued Human Services career.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t burn yourself out

Apr 15, 2021 - Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only positive was the coworkers.

Cons

Extremely high caseloads with expectation that everyone does paperwork after work at home due to seeing clients back to back for 11 hour days. Barely any PTO. Only a 30 min lunch.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed such awesome coworkers. We think our employees are great too! Working in the mental health and addictions field can be tough. We are really disappointed to hear that you felt so burnt out during your short time with us- it sounds like we missed the mark on helping you manage the workload and providing opportunities for self-care. We’re very sorry that this was your experience with us, but we are grateful for your outreach so we can ensure there is more focus in improving in these areas. Thank you so much for your service during your time with Horizon; we appreciated it and so did our patients.

6. 4.0

A great job

Mar 18, 2021 - Counselor in Amherst, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, ample training opportunities

Cons

high caseload that could lead to burnout

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to hear that you would recommend Horizon as a place to work! We think it’s great here too! We’re really glad you’ve been able to take advantage of the flexible scheduling and our amazing training opportunities - they are a great way to enhance your clinical skills. This field is demanding and burnout can definitely be a concern for clinicians so self-care is essential. Whether it’s taking PTO when you need it, working with your supervisor and your team to address challenges, utilizing our Employee Assistance Programs, or enjoying other activities that are meaningful to you, we are here to help you whenever and however we can. You’re there for our patients and we’re here for you! Thank you for the incredible work you do for our patients - we appreciate you!

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to work for

Feb 15, 2021 - Operations Support Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee benefits and supportive work culture

Cons

Working with vulnerable populaitons can be emotionally draining if you are not careful

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for the great feedback! We are so glad you were able to take advantage of all our amazing employee benefits during your time with us! We agree that working in the mental health and addictions field can be challenging and requires a supportive team and a focus on self-care to maintain a good balance. It’s really rewarding to know that you enjoyed a supportive work environment while working with us. Thanks again for the kind words and for all that you did for our patients during your time at Horizon!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This field can be challenging, but the company is very supportive.

Jan 19, 2021 - Senior Counselor II in Cheektowaga, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Support from management, support from senior staff, transparency, competitive pay, bonus potential, professional growth, promotion potential, schedule flexibility, leadership is very open to input from all employees.

Cons

The job itself can be challenging, expectations for performance can be difficult for some, turnover of patients/staff.

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We are incredibly happy to know that you feel so supported at Horizon! Transparency is valuable and we couldn’t agree more! This field can definitely be very challenging at times. Knowing that you have the support of your team, supervisor and the whole of the organization, really makes the demands of this work feel more manageable and rewarding. Thank you so much for your feedback – we appreciate you! And so do our patients!

9. 5.0

Great culture

Feb 17, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the people and the atmosphere

Cons

Can be difficult but the people make it worth it

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We are thrilled to hear you love the people and atmosphere at Horizon! We strive to hire the best of the best, and we hear time and time again just how much our employees love their co-workers. This field can be challenging at times, but a supportive environment and amazing team make all the difference. We appreciate you and everything that you do for our patients. Thanks for being part of our Horizon family!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

You can do better

Mar 4, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The time goes by super fast when you are working

Cons

No diversity, all new hires are 22 yr old white females

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. You’re right- time certainly does go by fast when you’re working! We know how much our Administrative Assistants contribute each day and we are so grateful that you’ve been here supporting our mission for over 10 years! We also agree that diversity, equity, inclusivity and belonging are crucial. Horizon’s goal is to effectively recruit and develop a workforce that better represents our multi-faceted community and the patients we serve. This is a top priority of our new Coordinator of DEIB and we definitely welcome your input and participation in these exciting initiatives as we strive to continue improving our representation at all levels of the organization. Thank you again for your continued service. We value your hard work and dedication and so do our patients!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 48 Reviews