Horizon Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Horizon Media President, Founder, and CEO Bill Koenigsberg
Bill Koenigsberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance depends on the account" (in 22 reviews)

• "Long hours (12-15) a few hours a week" (in 28 reviews)

1. "Inclusive Community with top talent"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Horizon Media (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hands on internship work
    - Beautiful facilities
    - Open and friendly staff

Cons

- Work/life balance, balancing work load

2. "if you are applying for any brand strategist role thinking you’ll be doing actual strategy, DO NOT APPLY"

Pros

I honestly can’t find any. You’d think for such a huge org you’d find some, but nope.

Cons

LONG hours (9pm-10pm) within a month of being there (without any real training). No meaningful work. AWFUL company culture - my first day, my manager described it like a “big high school.” Collaboration is minimal, exposure to other teams only comes in client meetings. This place literally rips away top talent from other careers by promising them groundbreaking work when in reality all I did was stare at flowcharts from 5pm-9pm. I would have nothing to do all day until 4pm when my supervisors went into meeting, then I’d have about 4-5 hours of work to do. HR is a joke there as well- a lot of them are just looking to fill slots and not actually get to know what the employee wants out of their job. No regard for any employees skills or goals.

Advice to Management

Change your position titles and realign job descriptions with what you actually do. What you call “brand strategists” are actually account planners and don’t do any strategy whatsoever.

"Assistant"

I worked at Horizon Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great location, generous PTO, holidays off

Cons

Culture, management, people, attitudes, salary

Advice to Management

I decided to write my review two months after I quit and am employed with a different company to give a true critique. I honestly find it astonishing there are some positive reviews. I've been employed elsewhere and the difference is so extreme that I feel like I don't know how to adjust to a healthy, positive, and not toxic work environment. Horizon media has taught me what a company that fosters hostility, gossip/ judgmental attitudes, and overall lack of respect for hard workers is like. I first handily dealt with the internal opperations and it was baffling to see how management gossips and plots to get others fired. The turnover rate is about 50% which makes sense when you have extremely low salaries and a culture that is very toxic. My manager was a catty and unintelligent 26 yo that had no experience and could not teach me the job. She was more concerned with gossiping about her issues and plotting how to get ahead while using me to help. My current company is a dream and I'm glad I got out when I did or I might have just settled. It's hard to realize how toxic and unhealthy a workplace is while you're there. TRUST ME other companies are not like this. So please if you're a current employee and reading this- get out and I promise you will find somewhere that values you and is health for you. To prospective employees- do your research and only take the job if you're really that desperate.

"Planner"

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time

Pros

Nice office space to work in

Cons

Long hours and no work life balance - wouldn't recommend working here!

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

5. "Horizon Next"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool space. Free coffee.

Cons

Long hours. High turnover.

6. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Media Buyer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Media Buyer in New York, NY

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, happy, relaxed environment. Everyone is resourceful and it makes going to work that much better.

Cons

I have none. Great environment and workplace.

7. "Assistant Media Buyer"

I worked at Horizon Media full-time

Pros

"Cool" office
    Free food (a lot of it)
    Potential for cool client outings

Cons

Zero autonomy, a ton of red tape, pretty low pay compared to other agencies.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more room to grow.

"Team Dependent"

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time

Pros

* Office Space
    * Generous PTO

Cons

* Depends on the account, but can be a sweat shop. Long hours (12-15) a few hours a week. On the other hand, I had friends leave at 6-7 everyday. Really luck of the draw.
    * No team mentality; can be very cliquey
    * I had the misfortune of having a very immature, overbearing supervisor. She would take out her anger on employees lower down on the totem pole and blame them if she was having a bad day. Management loved her though, so her behavior continues
    * low pay. OT hours, but still very low

Advice to Management

Look at for the little guys. Boost morale. Higher more people when you need it. Transparency

9. "Good agency"

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation nice office young agency independent agency

Cons

Depends on your team but internal promotions arnt the best compensation wise

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Horizon Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impressive office. Really nice views and location is awesome.

Cons

Very long hours which are unsustainable. Extremely low pay, I mean really low as in you’ll be living in the outer boroughs with five roommates or living at home with your parents until 50 low. The majority of the office is white, trust fund sorority girls and dude bros. You might see pockets of ‘diversity’ on some accounts but overall it’s an extremely homogenous culture. Think you’re back at college with Delta Gammas and Sigma Delta Taus. Some people are friendly, well informed and kind but most are as mentioned, snotty trust fund kids who to be honest make racist or inappropriate comments or are condescending to the minorities on staff. A lot of the staff are fresh out of college which also accounts for an odd balance of professionalism. For example, company rules are to be business casual but I’ve seen people in lace shorts and just long shirts. Seriously inappropriate. Horizon always talks about how much presence they have in the industry but I think it’s mostly Kool-aid. I mean it’s not a tech giant or a Fortune 500, not even close. The other thing is they spend a ton on their beautiful facilities to draw you in but what’s the point of having stunning views and sleep lounges when you’re working 12-15 hours day?! And even 12 hours a day at 30-50k is extortionate. There’s all these programs in investing in their employees but I kid you not, they’ll expect you to know how to do everything upon hire even if the role is entry level, no formal training. This place is a nightmare and their biggest selling point is their building. Remember that the building and the views won’t pay your rent. At some point, it becomes unsustainable to expect employees to toil incessantly for low pay with the justification that the facilities and company culture are excellent. I think Horizon thinks of itself as a big deal in media; however it’s just an agency and therefore doesn’t generate revenue with its own content and product, it’s just a minor third party who considers itself an industry giant. HR isn’t transparent, they actively and aggressively hire employees from
    other companies with false promises.

Advice to Management

Give people liveable salaries and stop using your building as an excuse to pay people such low wages.