Horizon Software International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Horizon Software International President Jim Hoefflin
Jim Hoefflin
1 Rating

1. "Great Learning Enviroment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people
    networking
    great work culture

Cons

80% -90% national travel required for this position

Advice to Management

respect your employees

2. "Amazing Company on the Cusp of Greatness!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work for this company are dedicated to making a difference in their communities!! Whether we are feeding children so they can become effective future leaders, ensuring our seniors' needs are met while enjoying their retirement, or serving patients and families in America's hospital this company provides the best overall experience. We are family! We encourage, challenge, debate, and celebrate each other as we go about our work. Over the past few years we have become increasingly innovative and use the resources we have to achieve great results! All departments contain excellent and dedicated talent!

Cons

The markets we serve require significant up front investment to be competitive and do not quickly catch onto the most innovative trends in the software industry. This makes time to market and success longer than in most software industries. Cross-functional team building needs to improve and be more of a focus because when given the opportunity our people excel when they are challenged and have to work together.

Advice to Management

Change is inevitable and constantly occurring! Understand that we know that and embrace it. Our future success will be defined by whether or not we can keep talented, dedicated, cohesive, self organizing teams across departments and verticals striving towards feeding the communities that we serve. Focus more on building our teams and communicating our future vision and less on addressing the concerns of the relative few.

"Great Company No More"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time

Pros

Hard to find any left. Nice office. Good teammates for the most part. Very little politics. Wonderful customers to work with.

Cons

This used to be a great company. New President came in and has completely turned over the leadership team. What was Horizon Software is no more. Everything that made us great has been stripped away.

Advice to Management

Forget advice to management, they won't listen. Advice to fellow employees is to plan your exit and advice to anyone thinking about working here is don't do it!

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Quality Control Analyst in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Analyst in Buford, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and great co-workers. Strong product profile in a niche industry. Excellent engineers. Comfortable working environment in a central location in Duluth. The CEO really gets his workers and genuinely cares

Cons

I felt the pay was a little below scale for a software company. I felt like I was always fighting upstream with a "good old boy" network. Much of the company came from its original incarnation in Loganville.

6. "Good company, but lacks structure and opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Norcross, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Horizon is a good company and has a lot of potential. The desire, vision and organization is family orientated with an awesome work culture that is relaxed and fun. The company is warm, friendly and inviting. The work can be challenging (in a good way), fast pace and innovative. The people are AWESOME!!!

Cons

Horizon as a customer service company continues to focus excessively on customer satisfaction while neglecting employee satisfaction (e.g. raises, competitive salary, promotions, structure, career path).

Horizon as a whole seems to be still developing. Certain yearly task and projects seem to be a surprise year in and year out, though projected as annual business needs. Preparedness, organization and execution are issues at times. In essence, Horizon as a company needs to focus STRONGLY internally and define, outline and develop better structure, planning and project guidelines and career opportunities for it's employees.

If not done, Horizon will continue to lose talented men and woman, who work hard, and show up everyday with great attitudes. Though there is an amazing culture there, talented individuals will not stay; ultimately this will adversely impact such a great culture.

Advice to Management

Unsatisfied employee leads to unhappy customers. A happy employee = A happy customer. Re-think the business strategy and model. Organizational structure must improve, employee focus is badly needed, dedicated departmental training is lacking and must change drastically.

Overall, a good company who needs some work. I wish you all the best!

Mar 10, 2016 – President

Thank you for the excellent feedback on Horizon. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts and ideas. I couldn't agree more with your statements that the people are AWESOME and ... More

7. "Lack of guidelines"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Snellville, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International (More than a year)

Pros

Some employees are great to work with

Cons

Lack of guidance and leaderships

Mar 10, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback. I personally find all our employees great to work with every day. Our culture of teamwork and doing whatever it takes to help one another solve problems and deliver ... More

8. "A laid back atmosphere with great people constantly trying to improve Food Service experiences for our customers."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many great people working at Horizon and opportunities to move around the company. The atmosphere is laid back and promotes low stress.

Cons

The product does not seem to be improving as it should. It is tough to support a product that has improvements, yet breaks in fundamental and basic functions.

Advice to Management

Don't let your customers run you over.

Mar 8, 2015 – President

Thank you for your excellent feedback. We certainly do have some GREAT people at Horizon. These same great people are woking hard every day to improve our products and services for our valued ... More

"Since the company was sold as a "start up" to a corporate entity, it has been a miserable work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are comparable to other large companies with the exception of no matching 401(k). You'd thank a company that is part of a large company such as Roper could provide more adequate retirement benefits. Advancement opportunities are available but it all depends on who you know. You get your birthday off as part of the holiday package

Cons

hEvery day, workers come in wondering if they will have a job. Layoffs are routine and happen on an all to frequent basis. Usually it's not the fault of the person who is being laid off, but the management that can't look past the end of their nose to see what the real issues are.o is being layed off, but the management that can't look past the end of their nose to see what the real issues are.

Advice to Management

Look at who makes up your senior leadership. Just becasue someone has been with the company 15 years does not make them qualified to be a senior manager. And stop trying to cut employees just to make yoru bottom line. How about becomeing more inovative with your product and put more quality into the products that you do sell. Horizon's main product, OneSource is buggy, it is always a major headache when new versions are released. It's as if the developers test their own code and then pass it without any consideration to what it does to the rest of the software.

Mar 8, 2015 – President

We do provide a 401k match and encourage our employees to contribute to their 401k plans early and often to build a secure retirement. We haven't had a layoff since 2011. We do have high expectations ... More

"Great Environment, Great People.. A Great Place to have a Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are what drive an organization, and the employees here are proof of that. Everyone from Senior to Lower Level are great! The personalities, comradely, and drive of those here is amazing. Open doors across the building with management and senior-level. The company is very open to suggestions in process improvement, and empowers those to find solutions anywhere possible to make our customer service that much better. The Core Values are strong, and well directed to fit the bill of who can be successful, along with how to be successful at Horizon. The work/life balance is well dignified, with 11 generously paid holidays and an excellent PTO program. Benefits are a bit higher than some other employers, but don't let that deter the fact of what it covers- Full Health/Dental/Vision/Life/AD&D, with low deductibles and opened doors to healthcare- It's not slacking coverage in the least bit whereas most other companies have turned toward minimal coverage, at a higher rate. Dollar for Dollar spent in coverage, Horizon's wins with no need for a large HSA or FSA account to cover the deductible (But it is offered!), BIG PLUS! Compensation is value based, and experience based- the more experience and value you can bring, the better the compensation, falls in line with the core values themselves I have personally worked for many other corporations before past decade, and thus far this is the best employer for the employee!

Cons

There are areas of focus that are currently, and always in the works of improvement, hence the open to suggestions. Inter-Department communication was one of them, and that is already showing signs of mass improvement.. as simple as utilizing that open-door at all times. So really, cons? None I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Management is making great leaps and bounds to ever improve the organization, with great enthusiasm and purpose. Keep going on with that!

"Think twice before getting in"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

I worked at this company for a few years, thinking that this would be a good place to start to get your foot in the door. But it turned out to be a horrible experience. I eventually quit this place and went to another company for a lesser pay. If it wasn't for my manager and my team, (all of us who are no longer with this company) I'd have quit even sooner. There was no real promotions / pay raises except for the upper management. I went with 3 years of near perfect annual review without seeing any pay increment.

Advice to Management

Good luck keeping some real talented people around longer and open your eyes and ears to your folks who are giving up their family lives by being on the road for a meager pay.