Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bryan Blew

Pros
  • Laughingstock of the oil and gas field (in 8 reviews)

• Gets you in the door to the oil and gas industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible living conditions when on the rig (in 11 reviews)

• long hours, sometimes poor living conditions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for this company for just over 6 months, and feel that I have gained a lifetime of experience in my current capacity. This has been an awesome company for which to work. There is almost a familial type feel. There is a good chemistry between employees, and I find management to be very approachable. It was a pleasant surprise when I asked for time off, they found a way to schedule it for me. I was surprised, because we are currently short handed and have more work than we can handle. It has been expressed on several occasions that Horizon is turning down work, because they can't hire people fast enough to keep up with demand. This translates as rapid upward mobility as long as you are willing to do more than the bare minimum. Another pro about the company being small is you get a lot of face time with people around the company. At Horizon, you are more than just a number. I can say, earnestly, that Bryan Blew knows detail about my life, and he talks to me like a person rather than an employee. Horizon Well Logging really knows how to take care of their people.

Cons

The biggest downside is being on the rig for weeks at a time, though this could also be a pro. It honestly depends on your home life situation. It is very difficult to make plans to do much with family. On that note, however, I was able to request time off for my son's birthday, and it was happily scheduled, and my supervisor bent over backwards to make it possible. It just wouldn't be feasible to expect every weekend off, or anything. Another con is the living arrangements are very cramped. It has been said the trailers are being upgraded, so it will become more spacious. After growing accustomed to these accommodations, any additional space would be welcomed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job. It would be appreciated to get more communication, however. Maybe a weekly "Newsletter" by email?

2. "New Employee South Texas"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist III
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist III

I have been working at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma (Less than a year)

Pros

As of this post, I have been working for Horizon/Exlog for about 5 weeks now. So far, everything is good. The pay is better than my last company, the software and hardware seems stable and relatively hassle free and management seems interested in keeping you located near your home (as much as scheduling allows) which is nice. I took this job because I flt it was a good move with a company offering more options for advancement especially now that the downturn SEEMS over and the oilfield is recovering.

Cons

The only major downside I can see is the per diem is about half what other companies are offering. But, the increase in pay makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep listening to your employees and we will get this industry turned around together.

3. "Newer Employee 3-6months"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist I in Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist I in Odessa, TX

Pros

The pay seems to be pretty competitive for new workers and they offer comprehensive benefits. My direct supervisors are very hard working and receptive to feedback. This company is growing as work picks up in the oil and gas industry and I like that they mostly hire from within, promoting loggers to other positions within the company as they become available.

Cons

While they do have most benefits, a 401k/savings plan is non-existent as a mudlogger.

You do not work a set schedule as rig schedules change so you can get called out to a rig with minimal notice or spend more time off than expected if a rig gets pushed back.

Don't expect to like this job unless you love field work.

Advice to Management

401k savings plan would really be appreciated.

5. "It's Mudlogging. What Do You Expect?"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist I
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist I

Pros

The management is really friendly and tries their best to assist you. They are also good about letting you choose the area you work in, if they have that leeway. I started at the company right when oil prices started to rise back up, so our pay and benefits have slowly started increasing, and they are scheduled to raise again sometime in the near future. The industry is also giving us more jobs as it picks up so there is plenty of opportunity to work. There are many skilled employees at the company who can teach well and do their best to outfit their fellow employees with the knowledge and skills needed to get the job done. They do provide employee housing for those who are interested, depending on where your job is. The company just completed a merger with an international logging company, and so the future outlook of Horizon is higher, and so is the outlook for opportunity to rise up in the company.

Cons

Like any other mudlogging job, sometimes the time on/time off ratio stinks, and you have to plan around what the client wants. This isn't Horizon's fault, but sometimes it can look that way.

"Working here will ruin your career as a geologist. Wouldn't even want to give a star."

Former Employee - Mudlogger in Towanda, PA
    Former Employee - Mudlogger in Towanda, PA

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero pros. Pro would be not having this company on your resume. Laughingstock of the oil and gas field. Not being hired.

Cons

They hire any warm body off the street. I spent 4 years to get a B.S. In Geology only to be trained by a former hairdresser from New Orleans. Very negative work environment, live in filthy FEMA trailers, pay is bare minimum. Very cliquey, only whiners and suck ups advance. Sometimes less than 12hours notice to be on-site when you live 5 to 7 hours away. Drove 10,000 miles in 7 weeks, so they drive you all over. When shower was broke in unit, we were told to clean our bodies with pre-moistened bathroom wipes. Quality Control is set up to take any bonus away from you, they'll say everything looks good, but will review it again and say you had errors. I have worked for other logging companies and it is night and day difference, no QC, educated employees, good management.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in management that don't know how to manage.

7. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Logging Geologist II
    Former Employee - Logging Geologist II

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of work to be done, but I had fun contributing to the company while I was there. Horizon's transition in to Excellence Logging seems to be adding value to the mudlogging industry despite the recent downturn. New equipment, although sometimes difficult to manage, is definitely making a difference in the quality of work. Management values their employees, especially the direct management. The dollar amount does not sound attractive, but the overall pay is fair for the work being done. You will learn a lot very quickly, sometimes it is sink or swim. Go in with your best attitude and the people available to you will help. This was a great first job and learning opportunity.

Cons

Some days on the job can being exhausting, but other days you don't do anything at all, so it really balances out. Find a hobby to keep you busy on all the downtime at the rig, or insert yourself on the rig and learn about drilling operations.. That's what I did. If you NEED to be around your family and friends a lot, then this isn't the job for you. but whenever you do need the occasional time off, just ask. The supervisors are really good about scheduling.

Advice to Management

Develop a better training program.

8. "Mudlogger"

Former Employee - Mudlogger in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Mudlogger in Odessa, TX

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma (Less than a year)

Pros

Introduction to Permian oil industry

Cons

Poor pay with high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Decrease turnover rate

9. "Avoid this company"

Former Employee - Logging Geologist in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Logging Geologist in Odessa, TX

Pros

You can do anything you want

Cons

12 dollars an hours for 16 years experience

Advice to Management

Find another job

10. "Well worth the long hours and stressful job"

Current Employee - Logging/Geosteering Geologist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Logging/Geosteering Geologist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With hard work and dedication, there is career growth. Working at Horizon will give you the experience to branch out into other aspects of oil and gas from geosteering to positions at other companies like operations geologist and company man. Being in geosteering has let me become familiar with plays all over the US, from W. Texas, OK, Ohio and PA, among others.. I get to work with so many operators and geologists and make great connections for future opportunities.

The pay could be better, but then again, for a job right out of college, it's great. I am paying off my student loans and creating a savings account faster than I thought I would be able to. It's better than a lot of other jobs.

As for management, it's getting better. Things aren't perfect but Bryan Blew and the other managers are trying. Being merged with Excellence Logging will also hopefully open up international opportunities in the future.

I can say Horizon will work with you on time off. Yes, the hours required are daunting but if they are given enough warning, the supervisors will do what they can to allow people their requested time off, even for a 2 month vacation.

Cons

Mud logging is dirty, exhausting work and sometimes the money doesn't seem worth it. You're away from home for weeks and then you only get a short amount of time off. And it does sometimes feel like management doesn't care.

Advice to Management

Remember while budgets are a bottom line item, so is keeping employees happy and valued. I think management is making headway on this, so keep working on it and it will get there.

11. "Not the Place You Want to be"

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gets you in the door to the oil and gas industry.

Cons

Management & supervisors do NOT follow the core values they preach. Have heard both management and field supervisors laugh about work conditions/work hours/etc of the field employees. They DO NOT CARE about the field employees. They care about the money and that is it. They will cut corners, lie and compromise safety if it gets them another job, another rig, more money. They will string you along with tales of promotions, etc...but there are no promotions. Sure, there is the Logging Geologist 1 to Logging Geologist 4 thing, but that's it. After that, there might be a chance to work in the geosteering command center. This seldom happens.
    Pay is atrocious for the oilfield. There is no set schedule. Even if you are off, you might be called to be on a rig within 6 hours. You absolutely can not make plans when working for this company. You can not maintain a personal life or relationship. No per diem. Horrible living conditions when on the rig. Insufficient training. Immature (frat-boy type) management and field supervisors. Unsafe conditions. Long hours. Old/out-of-date/cheap equipment. Equipment frequently breaks and supervisors will tell you to "try to fix it" or "deal with it." Barely any support for onsite problems. There is really nothing good to say about this company. Avoid them. They will use and abuse for as long as an employee is willing to put up with it. Working fast food is a better option than working for Horizon Well Logging.

Advice to Management

Stop putting immature frat-boy types in management positions.