Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Bryan Blew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Laughingstock of the oil and gas field (in 8 reviews)

• Gets you in the door to the oil and gas industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible living conditions when on the rig (in 12 reviews)

• long hours, sometimes poor living conditions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good company."

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Responsive management with vested interest in your success.

Cons

Logging will always be logging.

2. "Logging Geologist IV"

Former Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great entry into the O&E industry

Cons

Poor living conditions, poor work hours

3. "Mud Logger with minimum 2 years experience"

Former Employee - Logging Geologist III in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Logging Geologist III in Midland, TX

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New updated logging units. Tv, Hot Showers, Clean rooms.

Cons

Extended stays on rig sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Vacation time is limited. Hard to schedule.

4. "God place to start"

Former Employee - Wellsite Geologist/Geosteering in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Wellsite Geologist/Geosteering in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career starting opportunity

Cons

Taking days off was a challenge somethings

5. "Good Place to Start"

Former Employee - Geosteering Geologist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Geosteering Geologist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They promote from within
    They give time off when needed

Cons

Not able to survive negative market conditions, therefore had to lay off many employees and eventually divest.

Advice to Management

Create multiple business lines

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist IV in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for this company for just over 6 months, and feel that I have gained a lifetime of experience in my current capacity. This has been an awesome company for which to work. There is almost a familial type feel. There is a good chemistry between employees, and I find management to be very approachable. It was a pleasant surprise when I asked for time off, they found a way to schedule it for me. I was surprised, because we are currently short handed and have more work than we can handle. It has been expressed on several occasions that Horizon is turning down work, because they can't hire people fast enough to keep up with demand. This translates as rapid upward mobility as long as you are willing to do more than the bare minimum. Another pro about the company being small is you get a lot of face time with people around the company. At Horizon, you are more than just a number. I can say, earnestly, that Bryan Blew knows detail about my life, and he talks to me like a person rather than an employee. Horizon Well Logging really knows how to take care of their people.

Cons

The biggest downside is being on the rig for weeks at a time, though this could also be a pro. It honestly depends on your home life situation. It is very difficult to make plans to do much with family. On that note, however, I was able to request time off for my son's birthday, and it was happily scheduled, and my supervisor bent over backwards to make it possible. It just wouldn't be feasible to expect every weekend off, or anything. Another con is the living arrangements are very cramped. It has been said the trailers are being upgraded, so it will become more spacious. After growing accustomed to these accommodations, any additional space would be welcomed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job. It would be appreciated to get more communication, however. Maybe a weekly "Newsletter" by email?

"Newer Employee 3-6months"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist I in Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist I in Odessa, TX

Pros

The pay seems to be pretty competitive for new workers and they offer comprehensive benefits. My direct supervisors are very hard working and receptive to feedback. This company is growing as work picks up in the oil and gas industry and I like that they mostly hire from within, promoting loggers to other positions within the company as they become available.

Cons

While they do have most benefits, a 401k/savings plan is non-existent as a mudlogger.

You do not work a set schedule as rig schedules change so you can get called out to a rig with minimal notice or spend more time off than expected if a rig gets pushed back.

Don't expect to like this job unless you love field work.

Advice to Management

401k savings plan would really be appreciated.

8. "New Employee South Texas"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist III
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist III

I have been working at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma (Less than a year)

Pros

As of this post, I have been working for Horizon/Exlog for about 5 weeks now. So far, everything is good. The pay is better than my last company, the software and hardware seems stable and relatively hassle free and management seems interested in keeping you located near your home (as much as scheduling allows) which is nice. I took this job because I flt it was a good move with a company offering more options for advancement especially now that the downturn SEEMS over and the oilfield is recovering.

Cons

The only major downside I can see is the per diem is about half what other companies are offering. But, the increase in pay makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep listening to your employees and we will get this industry turned around together.

9. "It's Mudlogging. What Do You Expect?"

Current Employee - Logging Geologist I
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist I

Pros

The management is really friendly and tries their best to assist you. They are also good about letting you choose the area you work in, if they have that leeway. I started at the company right when oil prices started to rise back up, so our pay and benefits have slowly started increasing, and they are scheduled to raise again sometime in the near future. The industry is also giving us more jobs as it picks up so there is plenty of opportunity to work. There are many skilled employees at the company who can teach well and do their best to outfit their fellow employees with the knowledge and skills needed to get the job done. They do provide employee housing for those who are interested, depending on where your job is. The company just completed a merger with an international logging company, and so the future outlook of Horizon is higher, and so is the outlook for opportunity to rise up in the company.

Cons

Like any other mudlogging job, sometimes the time on/time off ratio stinks, and you have to plan around what the client wants. This isn't Horizon's fault, but sometimes it can look that way.

"Working here will ruin your career as a geologist. Wouldn't even want to give a star."

Former Employee - Mudlogger in Towanda, PA
    Former Employee - Mudlogger in Towanda, PA

I worked at Horizon Well Logging - Oklahoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero pros. Pro would be not having this company on your resume. Laughingstock of the oil and gas field. Not being hired.

Cons

They hire any warm body off the street. I spent 4 years to get a B.S. In Geology only to be trained by a former hairdresser from New Orleans. Very negative work environment, live in filthy FEMA trailers, pay is bare minimum. Very cliquey, only whiners and suck ups advance. Sometimes less than 12hours notice to be on-site when you live 5 to 7 hours away. Drove 10,000 miles in 7 weeks, so they drive you all over. When shower was broke in unit, we were told to clean our bodies with pre-moistened bathroom wipes. Quality Control is set up to take any bonus away from you, they'll say everything looks good, but will review it again and say you had errors. I have worked for other logging companies and it is night and day difference, no QC, educated employees, good management.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in management that don't know how to manage.