Hormel Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hormel President & CEO James P. Snee
James P. Snee
1 Rating

Pros
  • The company advertises the promote from within mentality and they follow thru with it (in 10 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, lots of location located throughout the country (in 9 reviews)

1. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Beloit, WI
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Beloit, WI

Pros

Comp days benefits stable growth

Cons

Mine as well get a divorce all you do is work

Advice to Management

Hire more managers

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Hormel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary, opportunity for relocation, company car.

Cons

You can only move up if you relocate. You see pigs being slaughtered at the ware house during training. It is NOT a glamorous job. You're selling meat. Senior male employee harassed me during my training, I never said anything, but that was ultimately the reason I left (I am a young female).

Advice to Management

Be more aware of those training your new employees.

"maintenance /multi craft"

Pros

shift hours so days off and decent pay

Cons

have a lot of lazy and overpaid workers, nonknowledge workers,poor management

5. "Production Worker"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Austin, MN

I worked at Hormel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the jobs are really easy and if you want overtime you can usually find somewhere to work it. If you don't want overtime you can post your job and someone else can sign up to work it instead.

Cons

The biggest con is the management. Their only concern is advancement and getting to corporate. They are willing to stab each other in the back and throw their employees under the bus. This just makes for an environment where employees have no interest is working hard for their boss. Advancement from within is almost nonexistent. They won't promote to management unless you have a four year college degree in something (it doesn't matter what) or are retired from the military. There is no reward for working there for years and knowing the company and the jobs well.

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking about what is going on right now and less time worrying about where you're going to end up and what you have to do to get there.

6. "Production Manager"

Current Employee - Business Process Engineer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Business Process Engineer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Hormel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance and company stock purchase options.

Cons

No flexibility, long daily work hours, several work weekends. One objective.... Get product out the door. Often at times when better planning and process should have been set into play.

Advice to Management

Management positions need to have better flexibility.

"Good management starter job, but SOLELY that"

I worked at Hormel full-time

Pros

Gained management experience, pay was industry average, learned a great deal in a short period of time. Mature company as well.

Cons

Quite simply, no work life balance. Had to work 6-7 days a week (65-75 hours) and was salaried. Very behind the times on lean manufacturing and efficiency. I am not against old-fashioned labor but there are numerous ways that productivity could have been improved and upper management simply was not interested.

Advice to Management

Your Midwest, 'GI generation' working week style is archaic in todays age. There are great, young, intelligent, and entreprenuerial leaders in this generation. This generation's young leaders do NOT plan on staying with a company for 20-30 years and expect to receive a gold watch and pension. After I left for a new position, I learned that the next 3 managers for my 1 position all left within a period of 18 months. Your company's respect for human capital is greatly lacking Mr. Ettinger (CEO).

8. "Tiring"

Pros

Pay and benefits, hard working employees. Easy assess to food products. I honestly have nothing else that is a pro for the company

Cons

Work and life balance horrible, redundant and no change, same politics. Long hours and continue weekend surprises. Seniority base on position goes out the window

Advice to Management

Understand the people, know more than management does

"If you can survive the total submission to company long enough, the growth potential is outstanding"

Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Osceola, IA
    Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Osceola, IA

I worked at Hormel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company holds itself to exceedingly high standards, quality and safety are not just empty words but a way of life here, and corporate vision for this company looks to drive continued success

Cons

Zero work life balance until you progress far enough, diversity initiatives just getting underway at the time I left

Advice to Management

This huge multi-national company was making great strides in diversity initiatives at the corporate level, but that didn't make it to the outlying plants in time to save my 10 year career investment

"Good Starter job"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Hormel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is above average after a few years

Cons

No work/life balance; benefits are touted as "great" when they are mediocre; starting pay is subpar, but interviewer will tell you it is above market; time-off is determined by seniority; promotions are determined by seniority not abilities; change doesn't happen as the culture is "we've done it this way for as far back as I can remember", it takes an injury for safety changes to occur; the Continuous Improvement/Six Sigma/DMAIC projects are pointless and only done because they are a company requirement; no personal growth or career growth--if senior management fears change is near, they will go out of their way to stop or avoid it; senior management preaches accountability, but does not practice it; weaker supervisors are covered up by stronger ones. Hormel is the company of a thousand and one chances,so there is no risk of being terminated.

Advice to Management

Don't do continuous improvement projects because they are a company requirement--quantity is not better than quality.
    Senior managers need serious help in people skills.
    Practice what you preach, don't say it because a corporate person says you have to.

11. "management is right even when they are wrong,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparta, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparta, WI

I have been working at Hormel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay, the hourly employees are great to work with. Everyone has same feelings about the important things, Most share in being afraid to stand up for what's right, we've all seen punishment to the wrong people, and have same feelings. we are a close family, only the hourly people.

Cons

management walks all over you. they do wrong, you speak up, you are punished. bottom line, keep your mouth shut especially if someone is doing wrong.

Advice to Management

stop taking supervisors, and especially Human resources word for it and start listening to the employees that should matter. Or is it really about the almighty dollar like it seems?