Hornbeck Offshore Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Hornbeck Offshore Chairman, President, CEO, and Secretary Todd M. Hornbeck
Todd M. Hornbeck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay and,decent fringe benefits (in 8 reviews)

• This is a great company trying to survive an economic downturn which will last longer than any, the oilfield has experienced previous (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There have been two pay cuts so far (in 9 reviews)

• after all, the upper management doesnt have the skills or required licenses to do any dirty work themselves (what the company is based upon) (in 8 reviews)

1. "Mate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is striving to better itself. The downturn has crushed a once mega powerful empire at HOS, and IMO it's showing signs of improving. The company has had to adapt to the current market conditions, making some if not all Mariners uncomfortable. It's understandable that we should be and most are thankful to have our jobs at this point. The schedule sucks for some, however some like it. The pay isn't what it used to be, but I make more out here than I ever could at home, so I'm thankful in that aspect. Management has seem to have had a change of heart and the low key relationships the Ops managers are seeming to have towards Mariners not only keep us at ease, but actually help us do our jobs better. It's a better company than it was IMO from 2 years ago. It's a much smaller company due to the cuts, but when things start to boom again HOS will roar back to it's dominate position in the OSV/MPSV market. If I was offered a job here I would take it in a second. Don't worry about chasing the dollars when other small companies off you more, the stability is with the larger companies. All this is said with the understanding your worth ethic and skills are worth what you're being paid. If you are joe blow off the street and don't know much about offshore it might be a struggle for a while but there is room to learn, you just have to prove your worth the the vessel master and your Ops Manager. To finish up, HOS doesn't owe you a danged thing, you have to preform at the level they expect, to many people have developed a bad attitude in this down turn and they expect the company to carry them. It's not the case here, prove your self daily and you will be just fine.

P.S. I'm not from the office. Been serving on OSV's since I started 5 years ago

Cons

Travel Pay and 401K sucks, but it's understandable.

Advice to Management

Continue improving relationships between vessel crew and your Mariners. The Ops dept. has come a long way and it shows, but there will always be room for improvement. We understand you are trying to survive so stay in constant communication with the crews and we will all make it through this together.

2. "Able Seaman"

Former Employee - Able Seaman in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Able Seaman in Metairie, LA

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Salary
    Safety Bonus
    Good People
    Full Benefits

Cons

Long Work Days
    Stuck on a boat for 28 days or longer
    Depending on schedule not enough home life

Advice to Management

Just be honest with your employees. I find that no matter who I work for honesty always seems to be better than getting the runaround.

"ETO"

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

Nice new boats with state-of-the-art technology

Cons

You need an ETO Manager in the office instead of relying on your Port Engineers for the technical systems.

Advice to Management

You already did it by getting rid of CVA

4. "Mate"

Pros

Good coordinators, pay still good.

Cons

A few bad Captains. Personality culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and survive

"Chief Engineer OSV"

Former Employee - Chief Engineer OSV in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer OSV in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Well, up until the crash in oil prices, Hornbeck was a good company to work for. Initially, the benefits were very good but have been steadily declining over the past several years for one reason or another.

Cons

The inability or unwillingness of the upper management to communicate with the vessels and keep the personnel abreast of the viability of the company to maintain personnel levels and the likelihood of layoffs or terminations to the point that any layoffs come as a sudden surprise with no warning.

Advice to Management

Remember who the people are that make it possible for you to do what you do. That without all those people that have been recently furloughed, laid off, fired, you wouldn't have been able to have the job you have now (for how long though?).

"Mud boat company"

Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is trying to keep as many people as possible during this downturn.

Cons

It is a cyclical industry and the downturn has hurt everyone in the gulf. There have been two pay cuts so far.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to find us work and we will keep working. People will not leave simply because of paycuts, but will leave due to frustration.

7. "Good company to work for with lots of opportunities, industry is difficult with the swings based on oil price."

Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

Does what's best for their employees. Always have opportunities to advance, and will work with you to make your time very easy, values employees.

Cons

The oil and gas industry is difficult to work for, and as a result companies need to cut back when times get tough. They do all they can for the employee though in tough times.

Advice to Management

Be more forward with plans when tough times come about. There are many rumors in tough times which leads to panic with some people. More office correspondence with happenings would help to ease this panic.

8. "Average Bayou Outfit"

Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid partial travel, matching 401K, paid training. This is all before oil went bust. Hopefully they start bringing these back when things pick up.

Cons

Company built too many boats too fast and hired too many people. Company is currently in panic mode. All talks are about cut backs, lay offs, pay cuts, and demotions.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

9. "Good company overall"

Current Employee - Able Body Seaman
    Current Employee - Able Body Seaman

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, competitive pay.

Cons

Poor communication from management to its vessels.

"There ok"

Current Employee - OICNW in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - OICNW in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits package

Cons

The office is completely disconnected with the fleet

Advice to Management

Get down to the boats more