Horry-Georgetown Technical College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Lecturer in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Lecturer in Conway, SC

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and professional staff and faculty

Cons

Modest pay is the only con.

2. "Professor"

I have been working at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time

Pros

Strong sense of family, actively involved administration

Cons

Low pay, a lot of travel

3. "Faculty"

Former Employee - Faculty in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Faculty in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Package and half day Fridays

Cons

Salary, Administrative Politics, Limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Good Working Environment"

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time

Pros

Great faculty to work with; flexible schedule

Cons

Lower pay, but can get a summer stipend if you pick up classes

5. "President boasts morale"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The President of the College really believes in faculty and staff, state benefits package, work hours.

Cons

State retirement, pay schedule (monthly).

6. "Professor"

Former Employee - Professor in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Professor in Conway, SC

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart classrooms, lots of collaboration. High tech classrooms. Friendly environment.

Cons

Autocratic, no delegation from top management. Decisions made from the top; even small ones. Focus is mainly on financial aid.

Advice to Management

Listen more.

7. "Professor"

I have been working at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time

Pros

Not regular 9-5 schedule, so a bit more free time

Cons

Business model doesn’t work for education

Advice to Management

Spend more time supporting your employees over the students

8. "Love working here"

Pros

everyone is very nice

Cons

a lot of grant funded jobs = can be laid off at any time

9. "Great place to work but low salaries"

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Conway, SC

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers. I always felt like I had support from management and they treated me like family. Lots of opportunities to work on projects and with new technology.

Cons

The pay. Raises are hard to come by unless legislated by the state. Make sure you are happy with your initial salary because there probably won't be an opportunity to increase it without taking a different position.

Advice to Management

Try to be competitive with salaries to retain good talent.

"Awful Experience-- STAY FAR, FAR AWAY!"

Former Employee - Associate Professor
    Former Employee - Associate Professor

I worked at Horry-Georgetown Technical College full-time

Pros

There are none to discuss. Do not be fooled by the "shiny exterior".

Cons

1. This institution is a complete joke. The administration expects for you to pamper your students instead of treating them as the college students they are supposed to be. BEWARE! If you teach here, do NOT expect to teach mainly "college" students; they will expect for you to teach high school students (on campus, online, and travel to high schools)! Is this a technical college or a glorified high school?

2. Many (not all) of the students are constant liars. The administration feeds into the lies and listens to whatever the students and their PARENTS and guidance counselors say. The students (and their parents) are utterly delusional about their academic capabilities. The students can be completely disrespectful to you, and apparently that is just fine by the administration. However, if you address the students and you are firm and assertive, you will have administrators telling you that you "used the wrong tone". They want the students to walk all over the professors and for the professors to cower down to them.

3. The administration won't even respect the professors by ensuring that students go through the proper channels or protocol when concerns are raised. There is such a thing as "DUE PROCESS" and "grade appeals" if it comes to that. However, at HGTC, a student, who has never taken the time to come to MY office, can waltz to the Chair or the Dean's offices to voice concerns or just lie with incredible ease. At what LEGITIMATE institution, is that condoned? I have had colleagues who have confided in me that their students told them OUTRIGHT that they were going to the Chair to attempt to get them fired because "[the professor] was too hard".

4. The pay is extremely low.

5. Getting basic equipment (e.g. printer) was apparently asking for too much while other professors had printers or whatever they needed.

6. You are CONSTANTLY feeling like you're being monitored. They will have people reporting on whether you show up on Fridays or not. When I came to my office on Fridays, I found myself forcing myself to just sit in my office for long hours because HEAVEN FORBID someone stops by and then later claims that I was not around on Fridays. Even if I had to go to the restroom or the copy room, I found myself wondering if anyone would accuse me of not showing up to work. I am a professional; so treat me as one. If you didn't think I could do the job, then why hire me?

7. The ultimate is this ridiculous "portfolio" business. After your 2-year probationary period, you are expected to do a (public) portfolio presentation. It is based on several different topics in regards to pedagogy, curriculum design, return to industry, etc. THIS IS A TECHNICAL COLLEGE, NOT HARVARD. Anyone who has taught knows that you have plenty of duties and responsibilities around the clock. This portfolio assignment is a complete waste of TIME when you consider the caliber of students that they enroll. All of the faculty realize that their time and energy could be better spent on other things. However, the octogenarian CAO hangs this activity over your head, so nobody says anything.

Advice to Management

1. Resign and allow someone new to step in. It will be OK; you've been at HGTC for decades. 2. Get rid of the ludicrous "portfolio" business". This is NOT HARVARD. 3. Try respecting the faculty. If you don't respect the faculty, how can we expect the students/parents/guidance counselors to do so?