Horseshoe Casino Hammond Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Cage Cashier in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Cage Cashier in Hammond, IN

Pros

You can move up quick in the company. There are a lot of places you can transfer to

Cons

No cons at all l

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "table games dealer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

Pros

discounts, rewards program, customer interaction

Cons

smoke, constantly standing, low wages, terrible management, overnight hours

"Company that gives little through to their employees"

I worked at Horseshoe Casino Hammond full-time

Pros

It was a profoundly easy job, if you could hold a conversation with guests that only want to make money.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to suggestions
    Dealers have gotten fired for not smiling - not joking
    Not a happy healthy place to work

"All about the bottom line."

Pros

This job has the potential to be a lot of fun, and be challenging at the same time. Provides valuable experience, to use to learn and go elsewhere.

Cons

Casino hours are 24/7 365 barring a weather emergency(Even then you will be expected to make an effort to get to work). So expect to work nights weekends and holidays. Guests there are almost always miserable, disrespectful, and ungrateful, even when they are winning because the vast majority of them, really can't afford to lose and probably shouldn't be there in the fist place. Which to an extent goes without saying. Obviously it's a casino, and it's between the south side of Chicago and Gary, Indiana. Management stocks the house with a wide variety of unpopular table games with some of the stingiest odds, and will let them sit dead for nearly an entire 10 hour shift, if one person comes by every few hours. Say good bye to a decent toke rate. If you're caught not smiling for any reason, be prepared to be reprimanded wrote up, or sent home. This company has been going through a bankruptcy proceeding for some time, and following the announcement the message was clear. Business as usual. Which, couldn't have been further from the truth. Nearly every week cut backs, were announced, cafeteria quality went down in spades, and the vacation pay cuts were just the start, insurance offerings were worsened shortly after as well. This casino is wildly profitable, but you'd never know it from the guests or employees prospective.

Advice to Management

Honesty, try it. Also, forcing social interaction and mandating policies like EGE and suggest, is bad practice and micro-managing at it's worst. Try suggesting instead. In the mean time, I suggest you hire a new dealer.

"DEALERS BEWARE Miserable place to work!"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Hammond, IN

I worked at Horseshoe Casino Hammond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE, I have been working for 30 yrs and have never experience the harassment I have felt here! I was actually happy when they let me go so I could get out hell out of that place!

Cons

One of the worst places I have ever worked. You greet a customer and your floor says you didn't and your sent home and written up. Management is horrible!

Advice to Management

They are rude and not helpful at all, they walk around without smiling or greeting anyone but no one writes them up and sends them home.

"Only if you can't find a job anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Horseshoe Casino Hammond (More than a year)

Pros

PTO is easy to accrue
    Health insurance isn't horrible

Cons

After a year and a half I've seen racism,sexual harassment,favoritism,back stabbing,false promises,blame shifting,fake incident reports to support managements opinions,over staffed management,pettiness.....ect
    If you can find someone in a superior position to yourself and become real friends,or fake it enough to fool them,then this is a perfect fit for you.There are some slim chances to move up,but the company goes through 30+ new employees per month.

Advice to Management

Quit having some departments over managed and some under managed. This is a structure given to the departments,not department head choices.

"Interesting"

Former Employee - Senior VIP Security Officer in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Senior VIP Security Officer in Hammond, IN

I worked at Horseshoe Casino Hammond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are numerous different departments that you could transfer to at this location. There's always an opportunity for personal and professional growth and development.

Cons

The atmosphere is toxic. The management is cut throat and very unprofessional at times. There are way too many "cooks in the kitchen" to efficiently run.

Advice to Management

The individuals promoted should always be the best fit for the job not just a yes man. Your supervisors need to inspire their subordinates.

"Beverage Server"

Former Employee - Universal Beverage Server in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Universal Beverage Server in Hammond, IN

I worked at Horseshoe Casino Hammond (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, steady schedule, accrue PTO quickly, $10/hour plus tips, tips were pretty good considering all I'm doing is making and delivering drinks and cigarettes. Great co-workers become like family, lots of employee appreciation events, fun environment, gorgeous casino, very well kept.

Cons

Super uncomfortable uniform (corset, skirt, with nylons), lots of walking so you're whole body is sore after your work week, clientele can be pretty trashy in the slots areas, you start off on the late night shift, very repetitive work.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Trust your employees know how to do their job. You don't need to tell us to do something that we do 100 times a day, 5 days a week. Focus on things that matter.

"Changing industry"

Pros

It can be fun at times. The pay is pretty good.

Cons

There were many changes coming from higher ups that didn't understand the industry.

"Love it and hate it."

I have been working at Horseshoe Casino Hammond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. Lunch is fresh food for 3 dollars. They have semi annual sales for employees only.

Cons

Low pay. Crappy management. Not very roomy for advancement.
    the department I am in pays us very low and never gives us raises unless we get a rolemodel on our evaluation.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! It's so frustrating when your employees are struggling and working so hard but only get paid so little!