Hortonworks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Hortonworks CEO Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Messaging is clear - we're all about open source (in 32 reviews)

• High density of very smart people - the best in the industry (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life Balance has to be maintained by planning your work only effectively (in 11 reviews)

• Some growing pains being experienced (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Mid-Enterprise Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Mid-Enterprise Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, innovative technology
    Great team and culture

Cons

No complaints. You have to work hard to keep up with this fast paced environment, but that just comes with success.

"Sales Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and technology driving tremendous innovation for our customers. Fast growing company creates an exciting and rewarding opportunity for career advancement as we try to re-platform the world's data. Best benefits package in technology industry!

Cons

Our customers and the open source community depends on us to deliver results. As a result, there is a significant focus on execution and accountability which may not appeal to everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep refining the model in order to get us to profitability in 2017!

3. "Great People"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Marketplace value proposition resonates well with clients and across the broader Big Data community. Several Hortonworks Engineering Leaders are established contributors across multiple key Apache Software Foundation projects.

Cons

Extraordinary amounts of change across departments.

Big Data market fatigued complicates strategy and execution.

Customer demand increases organizational strain but should be used to inform platform direction.

Advice to Management

Make a meaningful effort to engage with performers who contribute to organizational success. End users value an organization's people as much or more than its product.

"The old top heavy team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technically sound team (5 revenue managers)
    Fully stocked kitchen and snacks galore
    Fully paid benefits
    Catered lunches
    Fast-paced

Cons

-Team ran lean with unrealistic deadlines & expectations
    -During interview, was told the team had a work-life balance. That was an out right lie
    -Hostile, belittling, bullying/abusive environment ran like a sweat shop with no solid support provided by HR. It was generally accepted, company-wide, that the team culture was like this. It was the norm to get 5 hours of sleep or less, even outside of month-end/qtr-end close. You were lucky to get 6+. They joked about it as they passed colds around to the rest of the team regularly
    -Team was top heavy with one director, six managers (1 or 2 of which were consultants - rotating), one senior level person, and one AR specialist. Very little support given to staff with no plans to hire staff at the lower level and spread work more evenly so people weren't burnt out. Additional projects were added onto everyone's plates. People were drowning in work
    -Mentally, pysically, and emotionally draining. Visited hospital or fell ill and would need to go home early due to effects of stress
    -Was constantly requested for status updates between 11 pm and 1 am
    -No control over your own life. It was made very clear that your personal life revolved around the team's demands/expectations/the work no matter what time of day, month end or not

Advice to Management

This environment is not sustainable. You will kill your employees before you realize that this kind of work environment is not healthy for any individual. Hire leaders who are real people managers and not just technically sound. There's nothing worse than having a reputation of having poor team culture and non-existant trust in management and HR. Good talent will be turned off by this and seek opportunities elsewhere. Company should re-assess and allow employees to provide regular feedback (anonymously) about what they feel the strengths and weaknesses are about their team and the company. Should allow for upward feedback to be considered as part of performance review.

"Amazing Company to work at with upward mobility"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands-down the smartest group of people I have ever worked with. From the engineering talent, to the field sales and engineering teams - everyone is hyper focused on customer success.

Cons

Fast paced environment that isn't for everyone. Our customers know that we will work tirelessly for them to ensure success. Hyper growth is an exciting pace to be at - but you can see exhaustion build up over the years.

Advice to Management

Continue executing against our plan. Continue to reward the right behaviors. Continue to focus on customers first and foremost.

"Amazing Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Distributed/remote teams work well

Cons

The usual startup stuff -- lack of process etc.

"Best Tech Company Ever"

Current Employee - Solution Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology is world class. The people are all smart and eager to help. Management is engaged and cares. Working remote is great. Great vacation time and benefits. Very family friendly. Best place I have ever worked in 20 years of tech. Apache Open Source everywhere. Transparency everywhere.

Cons

Wish we had a local office sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep course

"Hortonworks Solutions Engineer"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from Home and Open Source technology

Cons

No company Culture, uninvolved management

"Sales"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, benefits, salary, good resume builder

Cons

slow adoption, sales management disorganized, high turnover in leading functions such as Marketing and Operations leading to lack of strategy and path, extremely low % of sales hitting their quotas. 8%.. Terrible inside sales, field marketing and support has been non-existent.

Advice to Management

Figure out how you want to go to market and stick with it. If you want to go after the business functions to support your sale through their portion of the budgets, then hire people that come from solutions companies not tech or middleware. Put together an entire strategy, don't simply speak about the approach, stick some $ behind it!

The sales team has to play the 5 functions: inside sales, account management, field marketing, digital marketing and channel relationships - not to mention active prospecting and radiation into existing accounts. If you use the same tool for every job, you'll be spending tons of money replacing the tool and never make any serious progress.

"Member of technical staff"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hortonworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I can't think any good reason. I guess if the cons listed below do not bother you, then you have a good resilience and can survive here.

Cons

- Extremely awful work culture (the worst I've been part of). People who work here are extremely negative for some reason. Most of them stick around because they are stuck with visa issues, but nevertheless, they don't stop complaining.
    - Middle management is full of bad leaders. They just care for themselves without giving any consideration on how to encourage everyone in the team. And to top it off, they feel they are doing a great job.
    - You will be treated like a robotic code monkey who is expected to do everything that is ordered (yes in 2016!), without question, and micromanaged to the point of insanity, while people in management positions make decisions - and then reverse them.
    - You will work on bloatware. They release like they are a web development company - too frequently and extremely poorly designed, buggy stuff. All solutions to fairly complex problems are either arrived at within minutes of discussions, or never (documented as product limitation). People hardly read anything about their domain (distributed systems, databases etc) and keep reinventing the wheel (albeit in a poor way) and then feel that they are innovating. They start off with an upsold, poorly designed inferior system, and then keep piling features on top of it. This is not a place for sane minds.
    - Politics! Oh my god, you have to work here for a day to see how bad it is.

Advice to Management

I guess nothing can be done at this point. You do not have seasoned leaders in the company, so it is natural for people to try to one-up each other.