Hospital Corporation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

1,120 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • This could be a good or bad thing depending on the person but I felt the work/life balance was not great (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't seem to care about patient ratio which would compromise safety (in 38 reviews)

1. "Excellent organization that I'm proud to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for advancement for those wanting to move around or grow within the company.
    We are a very mission focused organization. Patient-centered care is what we're all about.
    Employees are encouraged to try to ideas and be innovative without the fear of what might happen should we fail. Decisions are data-driven, so we can easily identify what hasn't worked and adjust from there.
    There is a good amount of energy put into making employees feel safe and welcome in the workplace. I enjoy the diversity of thought in our teams.

Cons

Being such a large organization, enterprise-wide communication can be a struggle.
    Family related leave program is lacking, but leadership is listening to feedback so I'm hopeful for a positive change.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees for feedback. The annual employee survey is terrific.
    Consider making a bold statement by supporting a family leave program that shapes how the entire healthcare industry develops its own program.

2. "Unit Secretary"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Macon, GA

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Great upper management that gives care normally expected from Non-profit hospitals in a for profit setting.

Cons

Being a healthcare employer the entire industry is under staffed and over worked

3. "Advanced Clinical Analyst- Nursing Informatics"

Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Fort Walton Beach, FL

Pros

Management is fabulous, technology & supplies adequate

Cons

Not used to working for a for profit organization- different than non-profits.

4. "Good in theory, needs practice."

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Lake City, FL
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Lake City, FL

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working inside, patients generally nice. Most employees are good natured and the atmosphere is good if you are fortunate to work with them.

Cons

If you are a brown noser you can get away with anything, otherwise watch your back. Raises suck unless, again, you are with the "in" crowd.

Advice to Management

Very good ideas to create a good working environment that provides excellent patient care, but unfortunately they mostly rely on managers input. When the turnover rate is higher at one lab facility than the entire HCA lab system, there is a problem with the leadership of said facility....the numbers don't lie.

"Good organization to work for"

Current Employee - Third Party Applications Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Third Party Applications Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and lots of learning potential and internal growth.

Cons

I do not have any cons to list about my employer

Advice to Management

none

6. "Positive"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Lake City, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Lake City, FL

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly management , supportive , the door is always open.Encouraged to climb the clinical ladder. You can switch to different departments after 6 months with no hard feelings

Cons

Understaffed. Need more cna's and supply replenishing. High volume of turnover but that's expected. Probably the best hospital in the are to work for. Once again a great place overall

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job. I can only say nice things Because anything else would be a lie

7. "Best place I've worked in my career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake City, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake City, FL

Pros

Pay and benefits are equitable. They have the best doctors and equipment with whom I've had the pleasure to care for patients.

Cons

Middle management is not the best.

Advice to Management

If you're going to hire unskilled middle management, please teach them the job. You are teaching them how to 'talk the talk' instead of how to 'walk the walk'. Small facility in a small community is not always best served by teach political correctness over actual skills.

"OR RN"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Orange Park, FL

Pros

decent salary, team player environment, management friendly, great hours in the clinic

Cons

PTO bank unfair as in they force you to use PTO for holidays when it should be a choice to take unpaid since the company chooses not to pay for holiday pay. PTO is something where one should be able to use for vacation or sick time only.

Advice to Management

look into processes and procedures more clearly, look at benefits to see if they really BENEFIT your employees

"Review of HCA"

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Great benefits, such as PTO, 401K

Cons

Dysfunctional management, Lack of leadership

Advice to Management

Upper Level Management needs more training
    Needs more leaders and less managers

"Product Analyst"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A strong company with a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Only way to earn more pay is to change jobs.

Showing 1,120 of 1,167 reviews