Hospital Corporation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

Pros
Cons
  • This could be a good or bad thing depending on the person but I felt the work/life balance was not great (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management believes in leadership through fear (in 35 reviews)

"Clinical manager"

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff amazing to work with pay was fairly competitive. Staff does the best they can with the limitations placed in front of them

Cons

Upper management believes in leadership through fear. There was no work on developing people and this creates a me first environment. Every one for themselves

Benefits are so so. Healthcare benefits are substandard and limited

Advice to Management

Top down change

"Telecommunications-PBX"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, FL

Pros

Work through lunch and 8 hr work days

Cons

Operators are busy-bodies, lazy, gossip and lie to get others in trouble. The people who work there can't operate a computer. The Director doesn't take action when issues brought to his attention and acts on hear-say. Raises suck. They should perform random drug tests as the women there speak freely of their "extracurricular activities".

Advice to Management

Stop listening to hear-say and fact find yourself. Discipline the parties that cause issues not just 1 person. Drug test your employees! Be a better boss and stop trying to prevent HR complaints against you by caving into stupid request and underminding your supervisors. If you discipline 1 person for one thing then discipline all who do it.

3. "Medical Office Specialist"

Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in a clinic with great people great Drs. Dr's tell us we are appreciated. Coworkers are always trying to help each other with work load even if its not part of their job.

Cons

Holiday pay must be earned through hrs worked (PTO).25 cent yr raises. Do front desk and billing. Low pay for job duties. No phone tree we answer all calls..typically 184-200 plus a day. Bonus driven so alot of things like exrta help isnt in the budget. Alot of busy work given/expected. Little appreciation from corporate level. Job burn out is rampant. Concerns are ignored all suggestions are denied stating corporate wont allow. Corporate is out of touch with work flow and jobs in the office setting

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually perform the jobs. Don't discount ideas or suggestions simply because someone my not have a college degree

"RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is unfortunately no current pros at this facility.

Cons

No self scheduling, no bsn in supervision roles, no time and half on holidays

Advice to Management

New more educated supervisors, self scheduling for staff, time and half pay on holidays. Parthenon Pavilion hca facility in Nashville , TN

6. "Nurse practitioner"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were no pros other than local

Cons

Mid-levels are treated less than professional while they promote high school diploma people with no medical experience to run their clinics and make medical decisions for you. I was told I was not part of the medical staff!

Advice to Management

None, I shared it already.

"HROC - THE Call center"

Current Employee - Hroc in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Hroc in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None! But this site asks for a 20 word minimum so I will end this sentence as soon as I reach that minimum requirement.

Cons

This is a place that is a disaster. Leadership will lie to you since the moment you meet with them for your first interview. This is a call center. Everyone who works here is attached to a phone, getting one call after another throughout their 8 hour shift. Still, leadership will tell you this is not a call center. They DO NOT care about you. There's no work/life balance. You are required to work on weekends, holidays, request PTO months in advance (and it still can be denied). You get your 6-week schedule sometimes 3 days before that 6-week period starts. You cannot plan anything in your personal life. My answer every time a friend asks me to schedule a get together is, I don't know if I'm working that day yet. Every single person working here is completely miserable and their only goal is to find a way to get out. You will not get promoted internally however, unless you're a favorite, you are a good friend to a higher up and have very tight connections. It doesn't matter if you're qualified for your promotion, it matters who you know. If you see something wrong or unethical and you bring it up to leadership, you are being humiliated and told to be quiet and mind your own business which would be to sit tight at your desk, answer the phone, close cases, do not take breaks, do not go to the bathroom, do not ask questions, do not interact with your fellow colleagues and so on. HCA is known for the most ethical company. HROC IS NOT! There's nothing ethical in this place. You're just an employee ID number and you're treated with disrespect. Your opinion just doesn't matter. You might be able to point out multiple things that are not working but again, BE QUIET! They'll tell you in front of your whole team that you have other options (meaning find an exit door and get out) and trust me, the second I can, I will! This is by far the worst place I've ever worked. It has affected my health, my life, my family, my relationships with friends. HORRIBLE!!! Do not come to work here. Training is ridiculous. You get out of training, which by the way is not long enough, straight to answering calls and questions you're not prepared to answer. Which in return makes the caller think like we're stupid idiots who don't know our job and if you respect yourself, you'd feel pretty bad about the quality of the service you provided as well. But it's not your fault since they didn't train you adequately. Your supervisors are extremely rude with you and completely unreliable. Most of them have never even spent a day "in your shoes" to know what your job entails. They were hired from outside the company and sometimes they wouldn't be able to give you an answer to your question. Incompetent but yet, rude and disrespectful. To be a leader in a so-called Human Resources dept, you have to have human resource skills and treat your employees as the humans they are. Otherwise, you are in the wrong place. And a lot of them are, unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Leadership does not have any idea what our job entails. Processes are created and constantly changed without reaching out to the people who work those tasks daily for input. The main focus is only case closure, answered number of calls and micromanaging to an unbelievable level. WRONG!!! Your employees are miserable and you've already lost many, many good employees. Concentrate on your employees satisfaction. Once that changes, the whole environment at HROC will change. You feel the dissatisfaction in the air the second you walk into the door. It's sad!! Very sad to see great employees miserable and quitting all the time. Human Resources......

"You are just a number..."

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America (More than 10 years)

Pros

you get paid that's it

Cons

too many project, too much management and not enough worker bees

Advice to Management

listen to your staff, when they are overwhelmed find out how to remove the obstacles and SUPPORT them, avoid ripping the heart and soul out of your staff just to attain that mighty dollar

9. "Avoid if you have any type of serious medical obligations"

Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Decent pay, relatively nice office and all of my team seemed to be caring and sweet people. Unfortunately these are the only positives.

Cons

Building not easily accessible by wheelchair. HCA will also not respect needed time off post emergency surgery even if it's requested by your surgeon. Neither will they respect appointments that fall within the work week hours or care about your personal health.

Advice to Management

As Hospital Corporation of America being your name shouldn't showing understanding and sympathy towards the hurt is part of the culture? When someone has an accident, has to have emergency surgery and physical therapy take the needed steps to accommodate an employee you supposedly really like and value.

10. "Politics abound-avoid this facility."

Former Contractor - Hospitalist in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Hospitalist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Scheduling freedom, and Nothing else

Cons

A corporate VIP can influence management unfairly.

Advice to Management

Your physicians are a valuable resource.Remember families handle their loved ones' illnesses differently.A VIP is a family member. They should not be allowed to abuse their power in your facility by transferring their angst over a family member's illness to a physician.

"Wow....cheap"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pro will be when I find another job and get to put in my notice. They say how special you are to be chosen to work there, sounds cultish.

Cons

Insurance, if you can even call it that, is crazy expensive with really high deductibles. I can't believe Obama allows companies to offer such crappy insurance.

Advice to Management

You need to step up the health insurance or double the starting pay.

Showing 117 of 1,111 reviews