HostDime.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at HostDime.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing entry level position. I know there's a lot of negativity and knowing the stories behind them I could could understand, in my opinion I didn't really have a negative time there. I came in with no real industry knowledge and worked really hard and cared about my work. I cared about learning everything I could and to give back for the opportunity that was given to me. It was known that if you were hardworking and dedicated you would be rewarded with promotions, or projects, etc. The ability to work on projects and learn while working was amazing and was a main reason I looked over the compensation part of the position. Fortunately for me I was brought up with some great people when I was first hired and I was able to pick their brains often and allowed me to be able to become more independent and actually contribute to the development of other employees. All in all I'm glad I had the opportunity to work at this company. I feel like it could be on it's way to be more competitive, but just wasn't quite there when I left.

Cons

Just know whoever is reading this, you get what you put into this position. Yes the pay is low, like really low compared to other companies. Though the experience is worth a lot. You have to go into it knowing that you have to work hard and with some people you have to babysit from time to time to cover your own butt, which at times you wonder how they were able to make it work, let alone do their job. If you make the best of the position you could walk away with more than you thought you would learn. I always say I'll stick around a position as long as I'm compensated at the very least decently, and I'm still learning. I decided to leave personally due to not being challenged any longer. What I wanted to jump into just wasn't panning out to be an option in engineering. So I left, currently working in a engineering/devops environment.

Advice to Management

Management was always great to me. I enjoyed our time together. If I had to say anything I would say to know what your employees are good and passionate about and put them in the right position. Do not reward those who obviously shouldn't be rewarded. In any degree. The main problem for the employees I could take is the amount of effort they put into something and then being overlooked. I could say in my case I was just getting bored of the day to day. There were tons of internal jobs that needed to be done yet I was never addressed to help with any of them. Maybe I was just too eager and hungry when the next position came to me. I could only swap out another hard drive so many times before I wanted to jump off a bridge. Talk to your employees, especially those who actually care to be there. Find those strengths and lead them to something they will enjoy doing. To be honest if I were moved into a position in engineering for example I wouldn't have even taken a pay raise, I'd just be happy working in that position learning. I had a good time and met even better people. I could see this place being great. Just have to allow the foundation to strengthen.

2. "Hard Work is Rewarded"

Former Employee - NOC Operations Manager in Eatonville, FL
    Former Employee - NOC Operations Manager in Eatonville, FL

I worked at HostDime.com (More than 8 years)

Pros

HostDime is a unique Orlando company with great culture.

As others have mentioned, it's perfect for entry level IT experience; however, it can also become a long-term career. Hard work is rewarded and you can move up quickly if you apply yourself. While there is quite a bit of turnover for entry level positions, many of the upper-level position have great retention and high employee satisfaction.

If you're passionate about technology, you'll love working for HostDime as it affords you the opportunity to work on a vast range of hardware and software. Management is always open to new ideas and you can really make an impact if you come up with a great idea.

Not a day went by where I woke up in the morning and didn't want to go to work, always a pleasure.

Cons

HostDime is privately owned and has trouble competing with local IT wadges; however, the work-life balance and the great culture help mitigate this.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, they're what make HostDime great. HostDime's managed services are unparalleled; retaining and attracting skilled employees will be key to future success. While leveraging privately owned infrastructure made HostDime successful in the past, future success will depend on how well the company can continue to expand its and managed services.

3. "Great for college students looking for experience"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at HostDime.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience and flexible schedules for college students

Cons

Upward mobility and advancement in the company was practically non-existent

4. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HostDime.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very laid back style and very friendly like a small family. Depending on the position you get you will get plenty of experience as you have to really learn linux and many other OS distributions and coding.

Cons

The down side to this great company is that it is not that big yet and also the pay is below the national average because many positions do not require to much experience. Would be nice after you commit yourself to the company 1 full year you get paid the average salary of that position or something.

Advice to Management

Show more support for the people that work under you. If someone has been doing a good job for the past few months congratulate them on there excellent performance.

5. "Support Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at HostDime.com full-time

Pros

Very good learning experience about Linux servers, and to a lesser extent, Windows servers. Good, open atmosphere with free soda and clean environment. Benefits are reasonably good.

Good teamwork and support.

Cons

Very low pay for what you do. Employee turnaround and frustration.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and look to ways to improve employee retention.

May 15, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you so much for your time working with HostDime and for leaving your feedback here on Glassdoor. With regards to the pros that you left I am happy to know that you found benefits from working... More

"Just another stepping stone"

I worked at HostDime.com full-time

Pros

The break room was good I guess. Good starter job if you need to step into the field without any experience.

Cons

NEPOTISM. You either need to be a friend or family member to get anywhere in the company or just wait til everyone is sick of the nepotism to leave and you'll be the only one left so they have no choice but to promote you.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. They won't listen anyway. They are too busy playing Hearthstone.

Feb 16, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you very much for leaving a review. I am sorry to hear about any issues that you may have had while employed with HostDime and am curious to know if you had ever taken the time to share your... More

"Good first web hosting job."

Current Employee - Support Technician II in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Support Technician II in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HostDime.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, some really cool people and good benefits.

Cons

Direct management seems to care about your concerns and ideas, although, actual changes are very slow to be adopted due to lack of direction with executive management.

Well below market average pay.

Somewhat quick promotions as long as you can prove your skills but ultimately you get lost in the noise when trying to go for higher level positions which makes you feel like you're stagnating.

For a company that has been around for almost 14 years, management seems somewhat lost; there is still great deal of policy for simple things that are getting hashed out on a daily basis.

Technologies being implemented are a bit behind the curve of other businesses in the industry.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate is extremely high and good talent is lost because of low wages. HostDime is seen as a stepping stone for a majority of current employees and that mentality is conveyed to new hires which lowers morale overall.

Jan 16, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. It is appreciated as it is something that will allow the Employee Development and HR team work with in hopes that we can make strides... More

8. "Good intro to IT"

Former Employee - Support Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at HostDime.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job was as easy or as difficult as I wanted it to be. It was fairly easy to fall back on product vendors for assistance if needed. If you have a knack for troubleshooting it's very easy to make yourself stand out and receive recognition as a good technician. You'll learn a lot along the way if you've never done this kind of work before.

Cons

Turnover's high so it's easy to find yourself as the only competent technician on shift. If you work on an after hours shift then you will likely find yourself isolated from the most interesting discussions that determine the direction of the company.
    Software written in house by the small development team is preferred over established software. This leads to slow release velocity and features lag behind what's available even in free software.
    Certain teammates tended to take advantage of the relaxed work environment and leave loads of work to others.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the progress being made on projects and development efforts. It can be frustrating to hear about a project being worked on that should remedy pains and then not hear about any progress for months.

Jan 16, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your experience working here at HostDime. The information that you provided is valuable and will be used by our Employee... More

9. "Entry level career"

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Casselberry, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Casselberry, FL

I have been working at HostDime.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, good work environment

Cons

Low pay, misguided management

Advice to Management

Compensate employees so they will stay

Jan 4, 2017 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and please know that we are committed to doing what we can to provide the best possible work environment for all staff. Have you had the chance to discuss... More

10. "Mixed Feelings"

Pros

Cool office, good people, good opportunity in the technology field for young (pre-Bachelor's Degree) professionals. You'll almost definitely learn something over the course of your employment.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, communication is poor, clients are often very difficult to deal with. Directives and goals are often unclear.

Advice to Management

Hire more, and more talented, software engineers. Use them to develop products your end users want or need. I don't believe the company's current product lineup is competitive with the market at large.

Nov 18, 2016 – Director of Employee Development

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us feedback as any information that we can gather to review in hopes to work towards providing a better working environment is much appreciated... More