HostGator.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
HostGator.com General Manager Adam Farrar
Adam Farrar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch, relaxed environment, easy to move up if you are motivated (in 93 reviews)

• Creative and personal freedom (No dress code, no judgements about who you are (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in general for the industry (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is not transparent (in 15 reviews)

1. "Since Endurance took over.."

I worked at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

For entry level people, they'll hire anyone. Especially to work the phones. They push sales and add-ons to customers, If you can sale then you're set. That's a priority for them instead of technical background. Admin floor is usually calm. Free food. Good amount of vacation if you've worked there over a year.

Cons

Chat/phone queue is always busy. You don't have a set desk, you share with night shift or vice-versa. People eat at their desk and leave a mess. For entry level people they shove stats down your throat.

2. "Great for entry level, but tougher if you're older."

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned about web hosting, shared web hosting in particular and more on how the industry works.

Fast-paced so you are forced to learn alot in a very quick amount of time. I probably learned more in my 11 months there than I had at other places.
    Free lunches and dinners.

Nice gameroom where I found myself playing games after I was done working to unwind.

Small, but nice work out room. I worked late shift so it was never packed.

Met some cool people. (co-workers, management were very few I can say were cool, but I believe lower level managers were under alot of stress to meet certain numbers.)

Cons

Although training/orientation were very useful, that was it. No more training. Everything was on the job learning. I am older (about 41 at the time) so my mind had a hard time grasping some things. Younger people seem to excel though, so this could be a great entry level job for someone who wants to start in the industry. You will quickly learn if you're meant for this, but with that being said, I had been in I.T. for 13 years when I got this job as a Desktop tech or HelpDesk tech, and I thought I would be more than qualified for this job. I was wrong and it was very discouraging. Although I had my days when my numbers met expectations, they were few and far between. As much as I think someone young starting in the industry will know soon enough if they can excel, I think it can also make others who take longer to grasp concepts feel like they don't belong in the industry.

5 chats minimum at a time or had to be on a call and 1 chat at the same time. Some days my mind did well if I took my Xanax, but if not, it was very difficult for me.

Very low pay. At the time, pay started between $10.50 - $12 an hour, and it was some of the toughest work I had.

Advice to Management

I believe a new company took over so I don't think my advice will help here.

"Bad"

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Love the fellow co-workers that I work with

Cons

Their integration to be more like other EIG brands, which made the job so much harder that lots of experienced agents are leaving for new companies. They removed the lunch options as well so that day and night shift gets lunch about 2-3 times a week but graveyard gets food that sits out for hours at a time.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your peers below you, multiple people has tried to talk to you about issues and possible solutions only to get shut down or fired for even trying to bring something up.

4. "Web Advisor"

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IT world exposure and handling customers

Cons

Rude customers, bad management team, slow advancement if any, very stressful place

Advice to Management

Please hire someone who is qualified to be a manager. Sorry to say this but the current management team is there to just collect the pay check

5. "Jr Linux Admin"

I worked at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Good job to learn the industry

Cons

Everything it was a work horse of a job. Pay was not good. Management was not good.

6. "Absolutely Frantic"

I worked at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Good coworkers
    Had free meals
    Decent amount of paid time off

Cons

They do not tell you that sales is as important as the actual technical part of the job, which was why I got hired
    Be prepared to be doing the work of people way above your pay grade with no compensation or raise for quite a bit
    If you're on chat support, you will have to take 4 at a time, you will not be able to think straight, you will constantly be playing catch up as you're trying to solve 4 people's problems (that you weren't properly trained on), help is not instant, and all the while you'll be expected to sell things to the angry customers that just want their site fixed

Advice to Management

If you want your employees to give good service, STOP with the sales pitches left and right and definitely lighten the insane customer load

7. "New managment sucked!"

Former Employee - IT Level I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Level I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Work enviroment was fun and college like!

Cons

After the company was sold, there were many layoffs.

8. "Stepping stone for some, bonus haven for others"

Former Employee - Web Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Web Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to build experience to move on to a better job or get promoted if you excel and pay your dues. If you are good at tech support and enjoy upselling, then this job is for you.

Cons

Don't expect to just do tech support. You must also be actively upselling and hitting various metric requirements to keep your job. While it's a great way to make additional salary or bonus, if you can't handle pressure or stress, then this job might not be for you. If you're on the fence, then give it a shot and test it out.

Advice to Management

Cut some heavy slack on the metrics, then see NPS rise, then rebuild your reputation. I think that's your best hope of not only remaining a major player in the hosting biz, but gaining back trust and getting back on track to growth.

"It's fun to work there if you're favored"

Pros

Most of the people who work with you, on the same level as you, are amazing. There are monthly activities to try to keep things interesting and free wine/beer/margaritas depending on what management feels like that week. There are 2 weeks of paid training. Also, if I do choose I can wear a onesie to work of my favorite My Little Pony character (and people have done that)

Cons

Where to start... The customers are terrible and treat you like garbage, if they're mad at HG you get a bad NPS rating. Bad NPS means you get fired, because they treat their customers horribly. Second, there are too many secrets. Management will be like, "I can't tell you why, it just is that way and don't question it" and if management doesn't like you you're screwed. The pay is not compensatory for the level of stress you deal with. And the training I talked about, forget everything you learned in those 2 weeks because they don't teach you how to troubleshoot real issues, they just teach you to disable Wordpress plugins

Advice to Management

Try to take some advice from the people who actually deal with your customers daily, instead of what some jack wagon in corporate says

10. "Sales/Scams OVER Cust Service"

Former Employee - Web Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They paid a full week salary after hurricane Harvey.
    Diverse workforce.
    No dress code
    Great for recent hs grad
    Great if you live with parents or roommate(s) and only need money for fun.
    Met some great people.

Cons

Sales are pushed harder than customer service. If your calls take too long - FIRED. If the customers you had to cut short due to call limits givebyou bad survey ratings - FIRED. If you have one of the bad supes, you get thrown under the bus for doing what they told you to do then - FIRED. Very little is cut and dry, so you'll often times not know exactly how to help a customer, and if you ask for help, you might get thrown under the bus by your supe then too.

If you like high stress, watching people being fired every single day (& many for doing exactly what they were told), sucking up to management - especially the supe's supervisor, sucking up to Admins, being talked to like you're an idiot by admins, constant sneezing & coughing due to something in the building (everyone does it), paying WAYYYY too much for med insurance for a company that size, propagating a scam with SiteLock, being expected to learn work things at home even though you can't access the info you're expected to learn from unless you're logged in AT WORK (or off the clock but still at work), along with much more bs, then you'll love working at HostGator for $14/hr.

Advice to Management

Stop with the constant firing of people simply to justify a bloated training staff. Lay off the scam of SiteLock - you know you are part of the scam and ripping people off. And stop with the dog food tacos on Thursday. Just pay people the extra money you're wasting on the Sun, Tues food and dog food tacos on Thurs. Stop with wasting money on the wireless speakers (the noise is annoying), alcohol, parties that are only for a few bec the others are afraid they're going to get fired! Use that money to PAY people enough to live on. And get rid of the supes who lie. You know exactly who they are bec they throw people under the bus in a heartbeat.