HostGator.com Reviews | Glassdoor

HostGator.com Reviews

Updated September 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch, relaxed environment, easy to move up if you are motivated (in 93 reviews)

• Creative and personal freedom (No dress code, no judgements about who you are (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in general for the industry (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management is not transparent (in 15 reviews)

"Highs and Lows, great way to get experience"

Former Employee - Junior Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free lunch (when it was edible), I usually brought my own lunch anyways

-Decent health plan and PTO

-Gym

-Free beer once weekly, additional free beer/booze (depending on the event) on holidays or any other random event.

-On holidays or other celebratory times of year, they bring in outside catering that is usually pretty good and do it up pretty big with kegs and frozen margarita machines (this is Texas, so even if a margarita doesn't sound like it would go with a holiday, it really does)

-When I left, you had your own desk. It wasn't like that for most of the time I was there, and I don't know if they have kept it up. I hope they have though.

-Vape rooms if you vape. You still aren't allowed to vape at your desk, but if there is extreme weather (being that both offices are in Texas, this usually boils down to either too damn hot to breathe or raining or both)

-If you are willing to learn and work, there are agents willing to help you. This is one of those jobs where you are dealing with many abstract concepts and trying to relate them to less experienced users. They typically hire new agents that have little knowledge of the field and train them. Its basically understood by more seasoned staff that if you are still in your first 3-6 months, you are not going to be that great at resolving issues on your own. If you are already that good, you would probably be working somewhere else for better pay. We were all there at one point, and remember it well. Because of that, most agents are happy to assist you if you own your derps and noobness and show genuine interest. There is definitely a kinship amongst the support staff.

Cons

First, some minor environmental complaints:

-The food sucked. bad. I realize its free, but you know they are justifying paying you so much less to feed you garbage as a perk. How on earth can you make all meat look grey, every single day? They were changing caterers when I left, so it may be better now. But even if it starts out decent, its usually cold before you get to your desk after waiting in a long line to get it. They have coolers with fresh-ish looking sandwiches/salads/snacks for sale, but they are way overpriced. The average prepackaged sandwich is $7-8.

-If you are without transportation (temporarily or long-term) be prepared for a long commute and nothing within walking distance. The only bus line within a mile only runs every 40 minutes at peak hours and even less so if off-peak. Aside from one quickie mart about a half mile away, there is absolutely nothing else (aside from other office buildings, warehouses, and apartments) within a mile of the office.

-Filthy, the whole place. When I first started working there and we were in the old building, I often saw at least two cleaning staff on the regular. When we moved to the new building, they only kept one person on for a building twice the size. When he left (I assume from burn-out) they replaced him with a lady who they apparently didn't even hire full-time. She was gung-ho when she was around, but I don't think I even saw her once in the last few months I was there. Our workspaces got a little better when they assigned desks, but that's only because we had our own spaces and didn't have to come in and find an empty desk that the last person left a mess.

-I get the need to relieve workplace tension and keep up morale, but nerf gun wars are only fun to the people that have nothing better to do. When they split up the office to give A Small Orange a section, they basically had nerf gun wars right next to you while you were on calls when they closed at 5pm. They also got rid of the in chair massages and replaced them with massages you have to pay for, while on your break. How is that even a replacement? If I am having to pay for a massage on my time off, I surely am not going to do it at the office.

Now, company wide complaints.......
    -EIG is a huge corporation that clearly only cares about money. But I guess you could say that about all corporations are like that. They have this terrible habit of making huge changes in a reactive way vs. a proactive way. Call/chat wait time too long? Get rid of Internal Support and demand everything go to ticket. Want to make some changes to the training program? No new hires for six months while we work that out. Oh wow, why don't we have any employees? Hire a bunch of temps to answer calls, making calling into support the equivelent of going to your dog walker to get a root canal. Whats this? Now initial ticket response time is 2+weeks? No more tickets, L1s can't create them, L2s need supervisor approval (in which there are none ever available). Create a new tiered system where depending on what options the customer chooses to direct their call, they can get a different queue where the speak to someone specially trained and given access to resolve the issue. That sounds great, only you forgot to separate the queues by dept and now the vast majority of incoming contact eventually end up in L2, and you don't that many L2s. Call/chat wait times skyrocket again.............

-Over time, many services that the company offered have been replaced with sub-par 3rd party support for a price. We still treat them as our own services in regards to who you pay for it, but when these services need support we send them to the 3rd party. EIG is very keen on getting you to upsell these services instead of trying to solve the issue, and they actually now own all of these services under their umbrella. There is usually very little training (if any) on how these services work, we aren't supposed to support them, but they login to them via our billing system.

-The billing system is so nighmareish its comical. You know, if you are the kind of person who laughs when everything has gone to hell. Bugs have been there for so long we now call them features. Services that get paid for don't renew, or services that have long been cancelled get double charged a year down the line. Domains expire and go into redemption even tho they were paid on time.

-Make sure to become best buds with your supervisor. Your work alone will not get you anywhere promotion or raise-wise. They can promote the most useless employees and leave some of their best workers in the cold. Obviously, not all supes are petty or play favorites, but there are enough of them there that are for it to be noted.

-PTO/flex time policies seem to change drastically every year or 2. When I left it seemed fair, but I have been told by employees I stay in touch with that they cut the amount of accrued PTO allowed to use as flex time in half with no notice at the new year.

I toggled back and forth between recommend and don't recommend to a friend. If you need a job and way to get your foot into the door industry-wise, Its a good start. Just know that its very unlikely any of your long-term goals will be realized here or at any other EIG company

Advice to Management

Since basically every decision apparently "comes down from corporate" and corporate doesn't care, no point in trying.

2. "50/50"

I worked at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Excellent path of escalation for learning
    Laid back environment (when not doing chats/calls )
    Free meals

Cons

After the buyout, the company culture took a hit
    semi-high turnover rate
    Upselling

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "Jr Admin"

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place, great place to learn, and gain knowlege.

Cons

Job Paths are sometimes not clear.

4. "Nice place so far"

Current Employee - Web Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Web Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, relaxed environment, easy to move up if you are motivated

Cons

Scheduling is not very flexible once it is set.

5. "Great Place to Grow!"

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Free lunch
    Random Freebies
    Plenty of things to learn

Cons

It's stressful and easy to get stuck in a role due to being reliable and going out of your way.

Advice to Management

Work on promoting the ones who are dying to be promoted and are stuck.

6. "Trash Management. Beware of this place if you are a female."

Former Employee - Billing Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Cool coworkers
    - Free food / coffee; beer on Fridays.
    - Gym
    - Okay breakroom

Cons

- Safety concerns. Forced to park on the street in a very ghetto neighborhood while the new building was being set up. One of the employees was mugged at gunpoint in the parking lot and we got a couple of "security" officers for awhile. The first building was often very insecure. Homeless people often wandered up to the second floor where the billing/pending/cancellations department was.

- Dress code: While very lenient on how to dress, there are some employees whom choose to abuse the dress code as much as possible. As in wearing the same outfit every shift and not taking care of personal hygiene.

- At the time when I was hired by HostGator, I was offered either a second shift (5PM to 2AM or a third shift (aka GraveYard 11PM to 8AM). There was no pay bonus to take either shift like there is at other tech companies (couple of dollars difference) while sacrificing any social life or decent sleep schedule. Additionally, if you had either shift, they would give you serious hell if you even brought up prospects to switch to a somewhat normal schedule. On top of this, the management favors the day time employees over any other shifted employees. They would constantly make crappy/useless tickets, mess up the tickets, promise the customers the world, make constant mistakes, et cetera, and then the issues would be dumped to the 2nd and 3rd shift employees. You rarely saw any of the grave yard employees get Employee of the Month until the CEO felt sorry for us and gave someone the award every sixth months.

- Sexual harassment is rampant. Be very aware if you are female. You will hear rape jokes daily and may even be threatened. "Don't worry, my supervisor will help me!" you say, but don't count on them. No one above you cares about you because they fired anyone that did care. If you don't have some kind of witness/proof, be ready to be brushed off by your boss or HR.

- No room to grow in some departments. If you want to grow your career, stay away from billing/migrations/pending/cancellations/windows. You will have a tough time escaping these departments to go into the more favored Linux or Security departments.

- Disgusting, vile work stations. Since you don't have an assigned work station, be ready to bust out those Clorox wipes and REALLY wipe down your station. In fact, just bring your own keyboard and mouse. Also make sure you wipe down your chair & deskspace as someone who doesn't know what personal hygiene is probably sat there before you did. Oh yea, and I hope you like roaches because they come out into the light like they own the damn place.

Advice to Management

Can't really give advice to management, because they don't care.

7. "Out-of-state employees beware..."

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent co-workers, nice co-workers, interesting subject matter

Cons

Process heavy work, too much micromanagement, long periods of sitting,
    HR is incompetent, robotic and indifferent --they treat employees like husbandry. Do not accept a job from this company if you live in another state and have not lived in Texas for at least 30 days and have a TX driver's license. HR did not mention it after I lined up the job in advance and relocated to TX from CA at my own expense and signed a 1-year lease. They demanded I have the docs w/in 24 hours of the day I started work while attending a required orientation knowing that would be impossible (officially the state will only give you a driver's license after being a resident for 30 days) and HR felt no remorse for my situation. I was able to get the docs in 48 hours after a herculean effort at the DMV but that was not good enough for them and I was terminated.

Advice to Management

HR grow up and get sophisticated. Show a little compassion, professionalism and respect for your workers. Hire HR people who know how to handle out-of-state employees.

8. "Company has little concern for employees"

Former Employee - Web Advisor Level II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Web Advisor Level II in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do offer a free lunch each (1st, 2nd & 3rd) shift, 7 days a week. Decent health benefits with United Health care.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. I worked there for 2 years without a raise, despite an increase in job function. I was paid the same rate of pay as new employees, yet worked escalated issues and trained the new employees.
    Additionally the attendance system is difficult to understand.

Advice to Management

Praise works better than punishnent.

9. "Great starting company"

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for HostGator. I came in with little experience and got a position that I was allowed to grow in and move up the company ranks.

Cons

HostGator has been moving away from a customer-first approach since being acquired by EIG. I recommend talking to current employees before joining up.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the customer.

10. "Hostgator"

Former Employee - Junior Administrative in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrative in Pearland, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, good culture and lots of activities for employees.

Cons

Low wages, lack of in depth training on technical issues. Lack of guidance for new hires.