Hostess Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated June 14, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay consistent work over time (in 19 reviews)

• Mostly good people working there at the local level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Company went bankrupt Chapter 13 (in 3 reviews)

• company went bankrupt and thus they were unstable (in 2 reviews)

"Poorly run Company, very bad decision making, Company wastes money."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Pros

We have a job, average pay compared to the rest of the bakeries. The Union has been tiring to negotiate a better contract.

Cons

Working split days...I've heard all the reasons why we still have split days, that was a long time ago we need to move on , working weekends, constant shift changes, no respect to the employees, the ones that come in and do the LABOR!

Advice to Management

Leave the employees pay alone, STOP! your big Company bonuses, and run the Company RIGHT!

2. "A history of upper management only interested in what they can bleed out of the company for themselves. Great culture?"

Current Employee - RSR in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - RSR in Portland, OR

Pros

At its best a nice place to make a living. Good wage, Good benefits, Retirement.

Cons

A lack of overall respect from management to the difficulties of the job. A culture of us against them and a general idea of 'I got mine'. Terrible information exchange. The people that make decisions tend to hire carpetbaggers and corporate pirates instead of finding a point of light from within that may actually have some interest in the future.

Advice to Management

Take some pride in the company not your portfolio. The employees of your company have sacrificed their time and in many cases their income to help this company. There is a horrible culture of WE want so screw you fostered by the upper management. You never consider anything but whats best for your pocketbook and you foster resentment in the ranks. This company is doomed unless people who know baking are put in important positions. Not your buddy or the next unqualified fool you sign up. AND BREAD IS A DYING INDUSTRY!!! WE SHOULD HAVE STOPPED SELLING WHITE BREAD A LONG TIME AGO. FOCUS ON HIGH END BREADS AND CAKE SALES, WHITE BREAD AND BUNS ARE A LOSS LEADER ITEM THESE DAYS. In closing wake up and pull your heads out this is not about your ego its about saving Interstate brands.

3. "all down hill since we got a new distric manager"

Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA

Pros

pay - customers are wonderful

Cons

no job security
    unfair labor practice - if your not a friend of the dm
    management needs walk our walk befor they pass judgement
    the fact that they are no longer paying our pention and no one is forcing them to
    that was part of our contract, it was a raise we were saving for our future where is that money the union told me if i want it i would have to get a attorney

Advice to Management

if i was doing your job i would of already been fired for not making my numbers
    now its your turn step down you don't know how to meet your numbers

"in hell just waiting to get out of the fire so life can begin again,at this point anywhere would be better"

Current Employee - Line Catcher in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Line Catcher in Emporia, KS

Pros

retirement,and if this was not in the next 5 years I might just shoot myself.But I wouldn't give them the sadisfaction!

Cons

management is made up of lazy people screwing people just to make there jobs easier and to get there friends in jobs that they dont deserve.Working splite days off, odd hours even working the alot of the holidays and always working the weekends unless you are part of the good ol'boy system that management has created.Never being able to go to speical events,take part in school fuctions with your kids because you either have to go to work or get up so early,and friends for get doing anything with them because they have normal jobs. Not one that makes there life so messed up beause every week your days are split and your days off change unless your are part of the good OL'boy club and its only because management can do it and laugh about it for the most part.

Advice to Management

you need to come in to the emporia plant and don't just take there word about what they do or don't do, but spend time there find out what they actually do over time then save some money by cutting there payroll and stop cutting jobs or combineing jobs for us the ones that make them look good but keep gettting screwed.

5. "Neutral"

Current Employee - Always There No Life in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Always There No Life in Henderson, NV

Pros

They have good benefits yeah

Cons

money taken out our check without permission couldnt vote non member

Advice to Management

Have compassion for others give back what we give to you, give us back our $$

6. "I have been with the company for almost 21 years and in the past five years the company has went down so fast"

Current Employee - Shipping in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Shipping in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

It is a steady income and provided insurance.

Cons

The new upper management is clueless as to how a bakery should run, Our plant has lost so many good people due to corp, choices.

Advice to Management

start compensating your employees for their time. Your management team does not enjoy 70 hours a week with no compensation. you make the bucks so should they!

7. "Long hours-no life"

Current Employee - Truck Driver/Aka Salesman in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Truck Driver/Aka Salesman in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Union job.....screw offs don't get fired.

Cons

union job....seniority rules...performance means very little

Advice to Management

Invest in the people on the street

8. "Failing Company with poor union contracts and poor management."

Pros

Benefits are good and work schedule is flexible. I'm not sure anyone would want to work for this company in the future.

Cons

Company is failing and not profitable. I'm not sure anyone would want to work for this company in the future.

"if they can make you feel unskilled and uneducated they will."

Pros

The route sales and the sales force in the thrift stores are some of the greatest people to work with and 95% of them are really hard workers.

Cons

The suits in charge would like for you to think you don"t deserve to have a job. They also want you to think the reason the company is going broke is because some employee stole a paperclip.

Advice to Management

If you are not up to the job, get someone who is. You may need to cut some of the huge paychecks and put in back into the company or better still use it to get yourself a research and developement dept. Oh you already have one?' could have fooled me.

10. "We need to go back 30 years."

Current Employee - Route Salesman
    Current Employee - Route Salesman

Pros

It pays the bills, but just barley

Cons

Incompentance everywhere, It seems that the compant wants to survive but has know idea of how to do it. Makes cuts to personell at the wrong level and wrong people.

Advice to Management

Go back to the ideas that got you to where you were before things went bad. Let the local plants run themselves, GET RID OF ALL THE DAMN VARIETIES. sell the mail line and let the others try all the nickle and dime stuff. Let your sales staff do their job, Mr. Driscoll, Path To Market is a very bad idea, why have five people do the job of one? Get rid of the V.P.s we don't need 10 layers of management to do you job, and pay us what we are worth, you would be surprised what we could do if we were motovated (paid) to do so.