Hostess Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay consistent work over time (in 19 reviews)

• Mostly good people working there at the local level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Company went bankrupt Chapter 13 (in 3 reviews)

• company went bankrupt and thus they were unstable (in 2 reviews)

"Hard to get ahead and be successful with such an outdated infrastructure, Unions have got to go."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Anyone willing to put in the time and take pride in the job they do can earn quite a good living as well as have a decent benefits package.

Cons

As with most companies every level of employment here has some downside, Route Sales have to deal with aging equipment poor weather on occasion and a fair share of misinformation. DSM's have to weather through a seriously oversized work load and do not have the time to give all the employees the attention required to build and maintain a happy high producing team, also the good employees suffer because a good deal of time is spent dealing with dead weight RSR's that are protected by a union, sadly any credibility we may have as DSM's is lost due to the poor information we're supplied with regarding upcoming promotions, new item launches and ever changing company policies all of which we end up passing to our sales force, when any of these things fall through it's a direct reflection on us as management. As for any position above a DSM I cannot speak to as I have not been in their shoes, I will say that due to the highly reactionary nature of the Senior management at this company I'm sure most positions above mine have similar issues.

Advice to Management

Sales training for RSR's and lower level management would be a great start, Upper management may want to take some time to work out on the sales routes for more then one day to get a true feel for the business they oversee, this company could also use more front line employees where the most impact would be made, other than that everyone at this company knows its flaws, its just a matter of getting people up top willing to make some waves.

"We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Cons

long, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Management

The RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

"Hostess Brands could be compared to the Titanic after it struck the icberg."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Salary and benefits are better than most comparable positions with other companies.

Cons

The company has hired so many people from the outside for upper management that we are top heavy. The new people do not understand the business and they have made one bad decision after another. They have held meetings asking the employees what needs to be done to turn the company around and they end up doing the opposite. In an effort to justify the cost of hiring more upper management they have been laying off the people on the front lines doing all the work which squeezes middle management to pick up the slack. They have eliminated positions without thinking of who was to do the work so the few of us who once cared, had to scramble to cover the workload even though it wasn't related to our job. The company is so inefficient now, It takes weeks to get things done that used to be done in just a few minutes. Now they are going to close most of the offices and outsource the work overseas. The morale is very low with most expecting impending doom for the company.

Advice to Management

The company needs to eliminate the current inefficient structure and go back to the same structure it had when it made money. The routes will have to be sold.

"in hell just waiting to get out of the fire so life can begin again,at this point anywhere would be better"

Current Employee - Line Catcher in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Line Catcher in Emporia, KS

Pros

retirement,and if this was not in the next 5 years I might just shoot myself.But I wouldn't give them the sadisfaction!

Cons

management is made up of lazy people screwing people just to make there jobs easier and to get there friends in jobs that they dont deserve.Working splite days off, odd hours even working the alot of the holidays and always working the weekends unless you are part of the good ol'boy system that management has created.Never being able to go to speical events,take part in school fuctions with your kids because you either have to go to work or get up so early,and friends for get doing anything with them because they have normal jobs. Not one that makes there life so messed up beause every week your days are split and your days off change unless your are part of the good OL'boy club and its only because management can do it and laugh about it for the most part.

Advice to Management

you need to come in to the emporia plant and don't just take there word about what they do or don't do, but spend time there find out what they actually do over time then save some money by cutting there payroll and stop cutting jobs or combineing jobs for us the ones that make them look good but keep gettting screwed.

5. "This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL

Pros

The pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

Cons

There isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

Advice to Management

#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

6. "all down hill since we got a new distric manager"

Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA

Pros

pay - customers are wonderful

Cons

no job security
    unfair labor practice - if your not a friend of the dm
    management needs walk our walk befor they pass judgement
    the fact that they are no longer paying our pention and no one is forcing them to
    that was part of our contract, it was a raise we were saving for our future where is that money the union told me if i want it i would have to get a attorney

Advice to Management

if i was doing your job i would of already been fired for not making my numbers
    now its your turn step down you don't know how to meet your numbers

"was good years ago"

Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI

Pros

no one watching over you all day

Cons

ceo's that dont know nothing about the business

Advice to Management

learn the cake and bread business before you try to make changes path to market a big waste of money

8. "A history of upper management only interested in what they can bleed out of the company for themselves. Great culture?"

Current Employee - RSR in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - RSR in Portland, OR

Pros

At its best a nice place to make a living. Good wage, Good benefits, Retirement.

Cons

A lack of overall respect from management to the difficulties of the job. A culture of us against them and a general idea of 'I got mine'. Terrible information exchange. The people that make decisions tend to hire carpetbaggers and corporate pirates instead of finding a point of light from within that may actually have some interest in the future.

Advice to Management

Take some pride in the company not your portfolio. The employees of your company have sacrificed their time and in many cases their income to help this company. There is a horrible culture of WE want so screw you fostered by the upper management. You never consider anything but whats best for your pocketbook and you foster resentment in the ranks. This company is doomed unless people who know baking are put in important positions. Not your buddy or the next unqualified fool you sign up. AND BREAD IS A DYING INDUSTRY!!! WE SHOULD HAVE STOPPED SELLING WHITE BREAD A LONG TIME AGO. FOCUS ON HIGH END BREADS AND CAKE SALES, WHITE BREAD AND BUNS ARE A LOSS LEADER ITEM THESE DAYS. In closing wake up and pull your heads out this is not about your ego its about saving Interstate brands.

9. "Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

Cons

Out of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

"A very disorganized company."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN

Pros

Used to be the best place to work in Jackson, Tn until they decided to turn against employees and blame the worker for all their problems.

Cons

Will only permute friends or family.
    Very disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Word better with employees and they won't fight.