Hostess Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay consistent work over time (in 19 reviews)

• Mostly good people working there at the local level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Company went bankrupt Chapter 13 (in 3 reviews)

• company went bankrupt and thus they were unstable (in 2 reviews)

"Great co workers. Upper management unwilling to change to better company"

Current Employee - DSM
    Current Employee - DSM

Pros

Dedicated sales force, good products, vacation and benefits are good. 401k plan. National brands makes it easier to sell displays

Cons

Aging fleet trucks, ordering system is outdated, rail system is ancient need to go to baskets. Unwillingness to spend money

"Hard to get ahead and be successful with such an outdated infrastructure, Unions have got to go."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Anyone willing to put in the time and take pride in the job they do can earn quite a good living as well as have a decent benefits package.

Cons

As with most companies every level of employment here has some downside, Route Sales have to deal with aging equipment poor weather on occasion and a fair share of misinformation. DSM's have to weather through a seriously oversized work load and do not have the time to give all the employees the attention required to build and maintain a happy high producing team, also the good employees suffer because a good deal of time is spent dealing with dead weight RSR's that are protected by a union, sadly any credibility we may have as DSM's is lost due to the poor information we're supplied with regarding upcoming promotions, new item launches and ever changing company policies all of which we end up passing to our sales force, when any of these things fall through it's a direct reflection on us as management. As for any position above a DSM I cannot speak to as I have not been in their shoes, I will say that due to the highly reactionary nature of the Senior management at this company I'm sure most positions above mine have similar issues.

Advice to Management

Sales training for RSR's and lower level management would be a great start, Upper management may want to take some time to work out on the sales routes for more then one day to get a true feel for the business they oversee, this company could also use more front line employees where the most impact would be made, other than that everyone at this company knows its flaws, its just a matter of getting people up top willing to make some waves.

"very unsatisfied"

Current Employee - Department Head in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Department Head in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

wages are good compared to other companies in same catagory.

Cons

treated like second hand citizens

Advice to Management

pay closer attention to employees rather on yourself and what you can get.

"Scary, In all of my 27 yrs in route sls, I have never seen a company like this TRYING to give it all away."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Benifits,and thats only there thanks to Teamsters Union.

Cons

Awefull Management, In the 4-5 years I have been there I have never been told good job, DSM,s and never get out in the market.
    My paycheck has went only down since Ive started, almost back to training pay.
    They are trying now to cut our commisions more.
    Employee Moral is just the worst that I have ever seen

Advice to Management

Work with your RSRs from time to time, to see whats going on with your company.
    Ask for feedback from your RSRs on whats selling in there market.
    Check up on your DSMs.

"We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Cons

long, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Management

The RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

6. "This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL

Pros

The pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

Cons

There isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

Advice to Management

#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

7. "Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

Cons

Out of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

"A very disorganized company."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN

Pros

Used to be the best place to work in Jackson, Tn until they decided to turn against employees and blame the worker for all their problems.

Cons

Will only permute friends or family.
    Very disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Word better with employees and they won't fight.

"It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS

Pros

There is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

Cons

The company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going

10. "On balance, it has been a good company over my 30 years."

Current Employee - Shiping in Hodgkins, IL
    Current Employee - Shiping in Hodgkins, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good pay for unskilled labor. Good benefits.

Cons

Inept management which has lead to our 2 bk's in 8 years. Lack of quality leadership at the top.

Advice to Management

Close all the thrift stores. Close and consolidate bakeries. Cut bakery management in half. Eliminate varieties that do not sell. Get rid of anything owned by Hostess Brands that is not either specifically Hostess or Wonder Bread.