Hostess Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay consistent work over time (in 19 reviews)

• Mostly good people working there at the local level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Company went bankrupt Chapter 13 (in 3 reviews)

• company went bankrupt and thus they were unstable (in 2 reviews)

1. "Upper level Management killed the company!"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at Hostess Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Independence, my customers, the pay (before we were cut back twice).

Cons

Upper level mangagement all the way up to the CEO. WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS!!!!! I really wish someone from 60 minutes or Crimestoppers would do a thorough investigation into the actions of this company. What a major scandel!!!! They probably were in cahoots with the union as well. And to tell us half way through the day on Friday November 16th that we need to empty off our trucks and not return to work - what a shallow bunch they are! Honestly, how could a company have over 2 billion in sales and loose MILLIONS each year, I guarantee you one thing, they sure as hell didn't share it with the employees!

Advice to Management

Well, I guess you won. You got your money and can move on. As for the rest of us hard working dependable employees you dumped on the street, I pray for each and everyone of them and their families, no matter what job we get won't be as awful as this one. Thanks.

"very unsatisfied"

Current Employee - Department Head in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Department Head in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

wages are good compared to other companies in same catagory.

Cons

treated like second hand citizens

Advice to Management

pay closer attention to employees rather on yourself and what you can get.

3. "Company doesn't return loyalty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

You get payed on a regular basis
    Health benefits

Cons

Good ole boys network
    Management devalues anyone under them
    Refusal to recognize good work
    Does not give raises to mid level management
    Very bad moral among employees and management continues to just move around managers and rehire people known to be bad bosses. They refuse to clean house and get competent management. The get rid of anyone who seems to actually care about employees and the company instead of lining their own pockets.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Get rid of Sales Management, Bakery Managemen and almost everyone at Corporate. Make anyone who wants a management job actually work in a bakery and in sales for at least 2 weeks. Get rid of ALL HR employees and hire people that will actually work with employess and management. This will help temper the union issues.

4. "Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

A lot of responsibility, depending on your position, supervisor, workload, etc.
    Fun corporate events every once in awhile
    Exposure to several brands

Cons

Run completely by the board (Ripplewood) for a short term financial gain, which means many bad decisions are made that hurt the business overall, but puts money in their pockets in the meantime.
    Very old-school mentalities--not laid back, kind of uptight, and plenty of discrimination

Advice to Management

Seek long term goals, keep yourself open to new opportunities rather than just doing things the exact same way you've done them in the past. History will repeat itself if you do the exact same thing that you were doing that got you into bankruptcy in the first place.

"Scary, In all of my 27 yrs in route sls, I have never seen a company like this TRYING to give it all away."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Benifits,and thats only there thanks to Teamsters Union.

Cons

Awefull Management, In the 4-5 years I have been there I have never been told good job, DSM,s and never get out in the market.
    My paycheck has went only down since Ive started, almost back to training pay.
    They are trying now to cut our commisions more.
    Employee Moral is just the worst that I have ever seen

Advice to Management

Work with your RSRs from time to time, to see whats going on with your company.
    Ask for feedback from your RSRs on whats selling in there market.
    Check up on your DSMs.

"We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Cons

long, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Management

The RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

7. "This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL

Pros

The pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

Cons

There isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

Advice to Management

#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

8. "Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

Cons

Out of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

"A very disorganized company."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN

Pros

Used to be the best place to work in Jackson, Tn until they decided to turn against employees and blame the worker for all their problems.

Cons

Will only permute friends or family.
    Very disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Word better with employees and they won't fight.

"It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS

Pros

There is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

Cons

The company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going