Hostess Brands "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated Dec 30, 2017

Hostess Brands President and CEO Andrew Callahan
Andrew Callahan
  1. "What Happened to this Company"

Current Employee - Route Sales in Chickasaw, AL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always Hiring, good benefits, good guys to work with on the average

Cons

I have seen this company change drastically. I guess I am old Now, I made great money here 20 years ago. Now, things are ran by greedy, dishonest , unexperienced uppermanagement, who have NO BAKERY distribution training. This IS ASHAME FOR SURE. DM's hide behind emails and texts, never go out on the market, demanding things that they have NO CLUE about. A real Bread Man build a report with their customers. I could go on and ON , its sad. so much waste.

Advice to Management

RECRUIT SOME OLDTIMERS, WHO UNDERSTAND DISTRIBUTION, this is not a soda delivivery company. GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN HERE. STOP THE GREED, STOP THE WASTE, NO WONDER YOU ALL LOOSE MONEY, GET OUT OF YOUR OFFICES AND GO CHECK OUT THE MARKET..OR IS IT TOO HOT??

Hostess Brands2012-08-18
  2. "work life of a salesman"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with. The pay is fairly good. The benefits (for now) are alright. Immediate supervision is decent.

Cons

Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority. Second bankruptcy for the company since I've been with them. Doesn't look like we'll survive this one.

Advice to Management

Get the bankruptcy situation resolved. Whichever way it goes is preferable to going months on end not knowing if the doors will be locked the next day you come in.

Hostess Brands2012-08-13
  3. "On balance, it has been a good company over my 30 years."

Current Employee - Shiping in Hodgkins, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good pay for unskilled labor. Good benefits.

Cons

Inept management which has lead to our 2 bk's in 8 years. Lack of quality leadership at the top.

Advice to Management

Close all the thrift stores. Close and consolidate bakeries. Cut bakery management in half. Eliminate varieties that do not sell. Get rid of anything owned by Hostess Brands that is not either specifically Hostess or Wonder Bread.

Hostess Brands2012-05-23
  4. "Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence"

District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

Cons

Out of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

Hostess Brands2012-01-11
  5. "A history of upper management only interested in what they can bleed out of the company for themselves. Great culture?"

RSR in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

At its best a nice place to make a living. Good wage, Good benefits, Retirement.

Cons

A lack of overall respect from management to the difficulties of the job. A culture of us against them and a general idea of 'I got mine'. Terrible information exchange. The people that make decisions tend to hire carpetbaggers and corporate pirates instead of finding a point of light from within that may actually have some interest in the future.

Advice to Management

Take some pride in the company not your portfolio. The employees of your company have sacrificed their time and in many cases their income to help this company. There is a horrible culture of WE want so screw you fostered by the upper management. You never consider anything but whats best for your pocketbook and you foster resentment in the ranks. This company is doomed unless people who know baking are put in important positions. Not your buddy or the next unqualified fool you sign up. AND BREAD IS A DYING INDUSTRY!!! WE SHOULD HAVE STOPPED SELLING WHITE BREAD A LONG TIME AGO. FOCUS ON HIGH END BREADS AND CAKE SALES, WHITE BREAD AND BUNS ARE A LOSS LEADER ITEM THESE DAYS. In closing wake up and pull your heads out this is not about your ego its about saving Interstate brands.

Hostess Brands2011-12-20

"We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top"

Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Good pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Cons

long, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Management

The RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

Hostess Brands2011-10-15
  7. "Neutral"

Always There No Life in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

They have good benefits yeah

Cons

money taken out our check without permission couldnt vote non member

Advice to Management

Have compassion for others give back what we give to you, give us back our $$

Hostess Brands2011-06-01
  8. "Failing Company with poor union contracts and poor management."

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Benefits are good and work schedule is flexible. I'm not sure anyone would want to work for this company in the future.

Cons

Company is failing and not profitable. I'm not sure anyone would want to work for this company in the future.

Hostess Brands2012-12-06

"Great co workers. Upper management unwilling to change to better company"

DSM

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Dedicated sales force, good products, vacation and benefits are good. 401k plan. National brands makes it easier to sell displays

Cons

Aging fleet trucks, ordering system is outdated, rail system is ancient need to go to baskets. Unwillingness to spend money

Hostess Brands2011-08-27
  10. "Forget your personal life"

Route Sales

I worked at Hostess Brands

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Upper management was supportive and personable.

Cons

Typical day began around 4 am and ended around 3-4 pm. The pay is ok but when you consider the amount of hours put in it doesn't look so good. Many of the other employees were nearing retirement and they looked beat up and broken from so many years of physial labor and long hours. May be a good job for a few years but not for a life long career. When you are out on the road you are all alone. The trucks are old and very cold or hot depending on the time of year. Many of the receivers have no patients and look down upon you. It can be difficult to figure out your order for the coming week let alone the coming month. Deliveries should only be made 4 days a week. Most of the times, Fridays and Saturdays, the shelves were stocked and little needed to be put out. This resulted in a day where you were basically driving around for 9 hours straigtening shelves. For a week as long as it is, one more day off would be great.

Advice to Management

New trucks are needed, and they should be equipped with radios. (it gets boring on the road)

Hostess Brands2011-01-13