Hostmark Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bud Cataldo

1. "Challenging Management Structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Food and Beverage department is very laid back. The guests tend to be very nice and understanding. During the day, the chefs provide complimentary food for anyone that's working. All employees also get half off of any menu items.

Cons

There isn't enough accountability with management. Frequently, baristas and hostesses can be late to work without consequence. During the busy times, we are often left with a skeleton crew.

Advice to Management

My number one piece of advice would be to hire more people. The banquet department has quite a few folks, but the restaurant/bar side seems to be lacking.

2. "Executive Committee Member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality full-time

Pros

Nothing positive to say. Experience was negative in every way. Corporate management style, benefits, support, work life balance. Everything was far below previous industry experience. No one seemed to know what they were doing.

Cons

Very unorganized. Little to no support from corporate office. Very reactionary. Poor communication.

Advice to Management

Corporate office needs to support management at the hotels.

Apr 5, 2016 – VP Human Resources

We are disappointed to hear about your dissatisfaction during your time at one of Hostmark's hotels. We work hard to provide an environment that fosters success for all of our employees - we ... More

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Fontana, WI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Fontana, WI

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Very dirty work place and cafeteria

Advice to Management

Keep the place clean

"An Adventure in Mid Level Mediocrity"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their nice, retro, 1980's logo.

Cons

Hostmark manages a number of hotels and is venturing into other business opportunities including actually owning the plantations they manage. That being said, if the companies benefits are an indication and culture is truly trickle down, then the hotel property I worked at is perhaps an accurate reflection of this organization. The Hostmark managed hotel I am now glad I no longer work at was truly one of the more depressing professional experiences of my career.

Many employees who have worked at this property much longer than I did reported that they had never seen the morale so low, namely because the hotel's implicit operating rules shifted from rewarding employee performance and appreciating their hard work to the employees should do good work because they should be happy to have a job. In my short time at this property, I myself saw and experienced this on multiple levels. Working at this property had no joy, not even satisfaction from doing a job well.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, i.e. do not adopt the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that that ruled the work environment.

"One of the best jobs of my career"

Current Employee - Reg Director Sales & Marketing in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Reg Director Sales & Marketing in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Constant challenge, ever evolving learning experience with a group of professionals that have had long tenure and successful careers. Management encourages training and growth opportunities. For new employees with a desire to grow this is a great starting place. Once you have proven successful and committed your opportunites for growth are great.

Cons

A bit top heavy with old school mentality at times. Sometimes it takes so long to make changes that seem necessary

7. "Challenging, but you will learn a lot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time

Pros

Challenging & fast-paced work environment - to me this is a pro. Company provides health benefits plus spacious office setting. It is family managed with a great culture. Colleagues are professional, friendly, and very knowledgeable -- are eager to share their knowledge & experience to help others they work with.

Cons

Not easily accessible by public transportation -- commute can be long & frustrating

8. "A self-centered GM and crazy budget made the experience painful due to the stress and backstabbing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

Pros

Pay was competitive, benefits OK. There were some hard working people there that did a great job. Renovations were planned, so they were willing to spend money to improve the product.

Cons

Budget not realistic resulting in salaried managers working 70+ hours a week. Optimistic sales goals rarely met, so there was never a good time to replace equipment. Difficult to work for someone who can act like Caesar without repercussion. Just a real sour experience.

Advice to Management

Make more realistic budgets. Do not just focus on profit. Find better GMs.

9. "Hostess"

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time

Pros

Enjoy Co workers and free food

Cons

Don't have the tools or staff to effectively do our jobs

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees input

May 16, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your comments - we appreciate you "Saying It"! Your feedback helps us to improve so we have a great environment for all our associates. It would be helpful to know which hotel you are ... More

10. "Hostmark Shafts 40ik matching by changing selloff date"

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Changed payday to one day earlier if it fell on a weekend.

Cons

I recently learned Hostmark purposely moved up the sale date of our hotel to Inner Circle last summer so they would not have to pay out matching 401k funds. If they had stuck with the original sale date to Inner Circle, it would have put them at the 2 and 1/2 year mark as owner. This means they would then be obligated to pay tens of thousands of dollars that head been both earned and promised to a number of our dedicated staff. So I hope the upper management of Hostmark is happy and can sleep well at night, after such stupendously shabby corporate behavior.

Advice to Management

Honor your obligations to your employees instead of working a loophole to hold back tens of thousands of dollars they earned for 401k matching. This is a penny - wise but pound foolish decision, since employee morale is lowered sharply and ultimately you will lose good people by treating them so unfairly.

Jan 19, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Hostmark Hospitality Group is a third party management company and does not own the hotels we operate. As a management company Hostmark does not control nor influence ... More

"Difficult but not impossible"

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hostmark has a team that is very helpful when you need it. They are there to walk through the steps a new employee. They are a challenging company to work for and work with due to the vast array of personalities. There are those people you get along with just fine and there are a select few that are very difficult and rude. However, all in all the experience s a good one to have whether you stay with Hostmark or choose to leave and move forward. It is a set of skills you can carry forward in life.

Cons

The downside to Hostmark is that when you need support they are not readily available. When you expect them to arrive for important dates i.e. meetings there are no responses given back. You are left there to make excuses for them. I think that part of the hospitality experience for employees is that Hostmark shows up for important events even if it is just to be a support system. Asking for items is difficult. No one responds back in a timely manner. It is annoying to get items to fix the hotel in timely manner.

Advice to Management

All of your employees are valuable and each one should be treated with courtesy. When we voice a complaint it should be handled immediately. Do not blind sight anyone. Be honest and upfront and do not wait until the last minute. Rehiring disgruntled employees is a bad move. You will fail if you do so. Fix the hotel. Full renovation is necessary. It will help with business, employee experience and the ultimately the guest experience.