Hostway Administrative Reviews | Glassdoor

Administrative

1.8
Emil Sayegh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, relaxed environment, good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to brag about where I work but no one has heard of us unless you are in the industry (in 3 reviews)

• Absolutely no vision or communicated strategy by C-Level to staff (in 2 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Systems Support Administrator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Support Administrator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment.

Cons

Pay could be a little better, and more people on each shift would be nice.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, maybe add one more person to each shift.

Hostway Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to improve Hostway. Thank you for your review.

"Most poorly managed company I have ever delt with. PERIOD!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you wan't to lose your hair or age quickly. This is the place to come!

Cons

CEO has no leadership. Only "DO WHAT I SAY, OR ELSE"
    Management has no idea what they offer.
    Staff isn't sure what to support and most are lazy.
    They fire people who actually know what they are doing.
    Most of the smarter ones left before it got this bad.
    We are only a handful of staff, supporting systems that are 10x more than we can handle.

Advice to Management

Go back to school. Stop forcing people to do things they don't know. Listen to your support staff. We are losing people too often and not replacing them.

"Worst job and (generally speaking) people I have ever worked with."

Former Employee - Server Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches on Thursdays.

Cons

Extremely poor lower management. Most of them have no clue what they are doing and if for whatever silly reason they don't like you you will be in for a very difficult time. The same goes if you aren't a part of the in crowd there. Some of the worst people I have ever met in my life work there. The biggest mistake of my career was accepting a job at this place. I was miserable every second. You also get to work with a ton of Bulgarians who will throw you under the bus in a heart beat.
    Don't be fooled by some of the good reviews on here. A few of them were written simply to increase the company rating on this website. I sat next to them as they were doing them. They sugar coated the heck out of them.

"Good stepping stone to something better"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch once a week paid for by upper management. Not hostway itself. Laid back environment. Good stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Cloud is hyper-v based when every other cloud provider is using a real hypervisor. Uptime for cloud platform last year was pathetic. Microsoft basically paid them to use their cloud platform and it's been a nightmare for both customers and the people who have to support that crap. Upper management however, will most likely stick to their guns and keep trying to bring in new leadership to try and force a mediocre product to work. Hostway also just started selling their private cloud and support hasn't even really been trained on how to use or support it. That's going to become a big mess when some unsuspecting victim actually signs up for hostway's private cloud. Lack of communication throughout the entire company that leaves customers upset while support and customer service takes the brunt of that anger even though half the time they haven't been told what's going on either. Customers constantly threatening to take their business elsewhere all the while you're thinking about telling them that they probably should if they're looking out for the best interest of their business. Very little possibility for career growth within the support department. The ambitious employees basically get crapped on for trying to get anything done right and they'll more than likely leave within a few years of working their. Pay is well below market rate. They've provided a make believe systems administrator title in the support department to make their techs feel like there's actually some kind of possibility for career advancement but you're really just a glorified tier IV support tech.

Advice to Management

Invest in a real cloud platform and get off of microsoft's nutsack. xenserver is free and that's what your so-called competitors, Amazon and Rackspace are using. Your platform isn't of higher quality just because it has microsoft's name on it. You need to start paying attention to what's actually going on in the industry and use a proven solution.