Hostway Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Emil Sayegh

Pros
  • Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment (in 13 reviews)

• You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to brag about where I work but no one has heard of us unless you are in the industry (in 3 reviews)

• Absolutely no vision or communicated strategy by C-Level to staff (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Hostway full-time

Pros

-Great company to work for if you have a strong work ethic and refuse to lose mentality.
    -Your opinion matters.
    -Leadership will fight for you
    -Family type environment
    -Taco Fridays
    -Flexibility

Cons

-multiple internal systems can make the job efficiency challenging
    Advise:
    -Don't come here if you expect things to be given to you.
    -expect to do more than what you are hired for.
    -be willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.

Dec 29, 2016 – Hostway

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working at Hostway. We too enjoy Tacos on Fridays and lunch twice a month. Internal systems can be challenging ... More

2. "Good place to get some experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed environment, good pay.

Cons

Hosting, cloud and managed, is a tough industry, and the company needed to figure out where they feel they can best compete. They were all over the place, and there was no clear vision as to who the company was and what market they were going after. This caused turnover at the highest level. That was almost 2 years ago, so I'm hopeful it's been figured out now.

Jan 26, 2017 – Hostway

Thank you so much for your review. Things have certainly changed from two years ago. We have a new CEO, new leadership and Hostway has a clear path with our 2017 Vision. We are experiencing very ... More

"Once upon a time, this was a top technology company"

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Gain valuable experience
    * work with knowledgeable individuals
    * work from home
    * flexible working days
    * a few good people still working there

Cons

* Senior Management is clueless as to the direction of the business
    * hidden agenda's by Senior Management
    * long working days
    * no education benefits, you have to pretty much train yourself
    * crappy hardware given to employees

Advice to Management

Get rid of the senior leaders who polluted the vision and direction of the company. Rather than hire technically sound individuals, a hiring spree of senior directors was done which eventually lead to a massive turnover then layoffs. My recommendation is to stop the layoffs and try to salvage employee moral and reinvest in existing products to make them marketable.

I wish you the best of luck.

"We Fire People before Christmas"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Some good people work here.

Cons

No opportunity for growth, we only promote from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, hiring friends isn't working out.

Dec 27, 2016 – Hostway

Thank you for your review. If you wish to speak about this further, please contact a member of our HR department.

"New CEO is BAD for the company"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

I enjoyed doing what I did and had great peers to work with day to day. Flexibility in my schedule was important and helpful.

Cons

New CEO has a bad temper and abusive. I left his former company due to his unhealthy behavior toward myself and all employees. He will treat you less than a human and not blink an eye.

Advice to Management

Should of done your homework before hiring the new CEO unless you really don't care about your employees. I left to avoid the stress that led to health problems in the past.

Dec 12, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Hostway has a really great work-life balance. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please email us at ... More

"Uncertain Outlook"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway (Less than a year)

Pros

There is enthusiasm throughout the company

Cons

Poor communication between departments and lack of feedback from department heads

Oct 7, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We really appreciate your valuable insight. Clear, consistent communication from employee to employee, and especially from leaders to employees, should always be one of our top priorities. We’ll pass ... More

"Company is positioning for bankruptcy"

Pros

None anymore. Company has laid off critical employees that have been around since the begining

Cons

Everything. Company has gone completely top heavy with "executives". Little John is doing what investment firms do. Company will not be around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

I fear it is to late to save the company

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We appreciate your feedback and review. We take current and former employee reviews seriously and will pass your feedback on to our leadership team.

"Don't do it!"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

There are a few great people.

Cons

The make false promises and never do what they say they will. They will do anything for a sale including living to a customer. The managers are the worst. The employees are great people but management ruins everything. They can not explain how your commission works and will let you go in the blink of an eye if you question their methods to much.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds in your management levels asap.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We always want to put our employees and customers first. Keeping an open dialogue is the best way to make improvements. We really appreciate your feedback.

"Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are really nice people. At least in the San Antonio office. There is so much potential, but the sales managers stand in the way of progress.

Cons

Sales managers are extremely unethical. I have worked around sales reps for many years and there is usually some small sense of walking the line, but the sales managers at hostway blatantly live in he wrong side of what's right for the customer and the company.

Advice to Management

You need to realize there is such a thing as bad revenue. Not every sale that you can make will be good for the customers or company. Focus on the technologies that you understand and can execute on properly and abandon the sinking ship technologies. Just because you have poured a lot of money into a project does not mean you should continue throwing good money after bad.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback and review. We will pass this information on to our leadership team. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please ... More

"Going downhill"

Pros

Reasonable level of autonomy
    Lots of good people to work with (outside management)

Cons

No career development, lack of leadership skills, lack of structure.

Managers and executives are often shipped in from other companies. They try to make changes, they cannot get them done, they leave. Slowly Hostway has been left with the dregs who cannot be employed anywhere else. They have no idea what they're doing.

Constant cuts to operations have left the company unable to support its customer base. Pretty much issues are left to bounce around until the complaining customer takes their business elsewhere, hence resolving the problem! Customer reviews, like the reviews here, are absolutely atrocious. They're always getting slammed on Facebook, and righty so. Hostway employees have been pushing the reviews up by rating them 5 star. And reflect a company with deep-deep problems.

Nobody knows how most of the systems work, because we laid off the people who made them.

They look to be streamlining the business in order to sell it on (it's owned by a venture capitalist company at the moment). However I doubt they'll find a buyer before all the customers leave, as it's certainly not a customer focuses streamlining.

Advice to Management

Change the management. The company is ill, and it's getting more ill every day.

Invest in operations. Look after the customers first, instead of trying to make the company look attractive (on paper) so the investors can cash out.

Oct 7, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you very much. This is really insightful feedback. We’re excited to have our new CEO on board and are looking forward to the renewed focus on customer service he’s bringing with him. We’re ... More