Hostway Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2017

1.0
Emil Sayegh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, relaxed environment, good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to brag about where I work but no one has heard of us unless you are in the industry (in 3 reviews)

• Absolutely no vision or communicated strategy by C-Level to staff (in 2 reviews)

"Most poorly managed company I have ever delt with. PERIOD!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you wan't to lose your hair or age quickly. This is the place to come!

Cons

CEO has no leadership. Only "DO WHAT I SAY, OR ELSE"
    Management has no idea what they offer.
    Staff isn't sure what to support and most are lazy.
    They fire people who actually know what they are doing.
    Most of the smarter ones left before it got this bad.
    We are only a handful of staff, supporting systems that are 10x more than we can handle.

Advice to Management

Go back to school. Stop forcing people to do things they don't know. Listen to your support staff. We are losing people too often and not replacing them.

"Worst job and (generally speaking) people I have ever worked with."

Former Employee - Server Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches on Thursdays.

Cons

Extremely poor lower management. Most of them have no clue what they are doing and if for whatever silly reason they don't like you you will be in for a very difficult time. The same goes if you aren't a part of the in crowd there. Some of the worst people I have ever met in my life work there. The biggest mistake of my career was accepting a job at this place. I was miserable every second. You also get to work with a ton of Bulgarians who will throw you under the bus in a heart beat.
    Don't be fooled by some of the good reviews on here. A few of them were written simply to increase the company rating on this website. I sat next to them as they were doing them. They sugar coated the heck out of them.

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It use to be the people, culture and excitement of winning.

Cons

Now it is all about the dollar at the top level. Disappointing to see they do not care for the people that help build the company day in and day out.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Be Open. Include the team on what your doing to make it successful. Treat your people with respect.

"underpaid over worked"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

good location, flexible hours entry level experience

Cons

poorly paid, understaffed, over worked and also witness questionable hr behavior

"New CEO is BAD for the company"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

I enjoyed doing what I did and had great peers to work with day to day. Flexibility in my schedule was important and helpful.

Cons

New CEO has a bad temper and abusive. I left his former company due to his unhealthy behavior toward myself and all employees. He will treat you less than a human and not blink an eye.

Advice to Management

Should of done your homework before hiring the new CEO unless you really don't care about your employees. I left to avoid the stress that led to health problems in the past.

Dec 12, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Hostway has a really great work-life balance. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please email us at... More

"Don't do it!"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

There are a few great people.

Cons

The make false promises and never do what they say they will. They will do anything for a sale including living to a customer. The managers are the worst. The employees are great people but management ruins everything. They can not explain how your commission works and will let you go in the blink of an eye if you question their methods to much.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds in your management levels asap.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We always want to put our employees and customers first. Keeping an open dialogue is the best way to make improvements. We really appreciate your feedback.

"Company is positioning for bankruptcy"

Pros

None anymore. Company has laid off critical employees that have been around since the begining

Cons

Everything. Company has gone completely top heavy with "executives". Little John is doing what investment firms do. Company will not be around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

I fear it is to late to save the company

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We appreciate your feedback and review. We take current and former employee reviews seriously and will pass your feedback on to our leadership team.

"Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are really nice people. At least in the San Antonio office. There is so much potential, but the sales managers stand in the way of progress.

Cons

Sales managers are extremely unethical. I have worked around sales reps for many years and there is usually some small sense of walking the line, but the sales managers at hostway blatantly live in he wrong side of what's right for the customer and the company.

Advice to Management

You need to realize there is such a thing as bad revenue. Not every sale that you can make will be good for the customers or company. Focus on the technologies that you understand and can execute on properly and abandon the sinking ship technologies. Just because you have poured a lot of money into a project does not mean you should continue throwing good money after bad.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback and review. We will pass this information on to our leadership team. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Office is in a great location in Chicago, fantastic views. You will get thrown into many different roles without guidance, if you like to learn a lot, that's a positive. Office environment is relaxed and casual.

Cons

Management and senior management offer no guidance and are sexist. HR is there for the benefit of the company, never the employees. Promotion within is hard because there is no plan for the future. There is no recognition of hard work because knowing what "hard" is requires a baseline for "normal" which does not exist.

Advice to Management

Hire some capable managers who can plan for the future, and not short term. Create solutions that address the Long Term fix instead of constantly firefighting. Spend resources/funds to hire the best instead of cutting cost and short changing people. Listen to your employees and customers. Offer more guidance and hold your favorite employees more accountable.

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I agree that things have changed but not all change is bad - it provides opportunity for growth and transformation. The recent changes at Hostway... More

"Not a good place for minorities or women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people.

Cons

For a company that used to be minority owned, Hostway has done a great job turning itself into a completely straight white male, conservative, corporate place that is borderline hostile to women.
    Beyond that, the leadership makes constant changes that seem to have no impact on the bottom line. They make changes just to show investors they're doing something... But whatever they're doing, it isn't helping the company.
    The culture is depressing. Anyone who has been with the company for more than a couple of years is pessimistic and bitter. There are a lot of new people, but that's because the company can't hold onto employees at any level. Top level leaders are turning over as quickly as entry level employees.

Advice to Management

Your decisions aren't strategic, they're schizophrenic. What are you trying to hide?

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve so we genuinely appreciate your feedback - especially with regard to internal movement recognition. We are always trying to... More