Hostway Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Emil Sayegh
1 Rating

Pros
  • Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment (in 13 reviews)

• You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to brag about where I work but no one has heard of us unless you are in the industry (in 3 reviews)

• Absolutely no vision or communicated strategy by C-Level to staff (in 2 reviews)

"Don't do it!"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

There are a few great people.

Cons

The make false promises and never do what they say they will. They will do anything for a sale including living to a customer. The managers are the worst. The employees are great people but management ruins everything. They can not explain how your commission works and will let you go in the blink of an eye if you question their methods to much.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds in your management levels asap.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We always want to put our employees and customers first. Keeping an open dialogue is the best way to make improvements. We really appreciate your feedback.

"Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are really nice people. At least in the San Antonio office. There is so much potential, but the sales managers stand in the way of progress.

Cons

Sales managers are extremely unethical. I have worked around sales reps for many years and there is usually some small sense of walking the line, but the sales managers at hostway blatantly live in he wrong side of what's right for the customer and the company.

Advice to Management

You need to realize there is such a thing as bad revenue. Not every sale that you can make will be good for the customers or company. Focus on the technologies that you understand and can execute on properly and abandon the sinking ship technologies. Just because you have poured a lot of money into a project does not mean you should continue throwing good money after bad.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback and review. We will pass this information on to our leadership team. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please ... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Office is in a great location in Chicago, fantastic views. You will get thrown into many different roles without guidance, if you like to learn a lot, that's a positive. Office environment is relaxed and casual.

Cons

Management and senior management offer no guidance and are sexist. HR is there for the benefit of the company, never the employees. Promotion within is hard because there is no plan for the future. There is no recognition of hard work because knowing what "hard" is requires a baseline for "normal" which does not exist.

Advice to Management

Hire some capable managers who can plan for the future, and not short term. Create solutions that address the Long Term fix instead of constantly firefighting. Spend resources/funds to hire the best instead of cutting cost and short changing people. Listen to your employees and customers. Offer more guidance and hold your favorite employees more accountable.

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I agree that things have changed but not all change is bad - it provides opportunity for growth and transformation. The recent changes at Hostway ... More

"Not a good place for minorities or women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people.

Cons

For a company that used to be minority owned, Hostway has done a great job turning itself into a completely straight white male, conservative, corporate place that is borderline hostile to women.
    Beyond that, the leadership makes constant changes that seem to have no impact on the bottom line. They make changes just to show investors they're doing something... But whatever they're doing, it isn't helping the company.
    The culture is depressing. Anyone who has been with the company for more than a couple of years is pessimistic and bitter. There are a lot of new people, but that's because the company can't hold onto employees at any level. Top level leaders are turning over as quickly as entry level employees.

Advice to Management

Your decisions aren't strategic, they're schizophrenic. What are you trying to hide?

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve so we genuinely appreciate your feedback - especially with regard to internal movement recognition. We are always trying to ... More

"Good stepping stone to something better"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch once a week paid for by upper management. Not hostway itself. Laid back environment. Good stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Cloud is hyper-v based when every other cloud provider is using a real hypervisor. Uptime for cloud platform last year was pathetic. Microsoft basically paid them to use their cloud platform and it's been a nightmare for both customers and the people who have to support that crap. Upper management however, will most likely stick to their guns and keep trying to bring in new leadership to try and force a mediocre product to work. Hostway also just started selling their private cloud and support hasn't even really been trained on how to use or support it. That's going to become a big mess when some unsuspecting victim actually signs up for hostway's private cloud. Lack of communication throughout the entire company that leaves customers upset while support and customer service takes the brunt of that anger even though half the time they haven't been told what's going on either. Customers constantly threatening to take their business elsewhere all the while you're thinking about telling them that they probably should if they're looking out for the best interest of their business. Very little possibility for career growth within the support department. The ambitious employees basically get crapped on for trying to get anything done right and they'll more than likely leave within a few years of working their. Pay is well below market rate. They've provided a make believe systems administrator title in the support department to make their techs feel like there's actually some kind of possibility for career advancement but you're really just a glorified tier IV support tech.

Advice to Management

Invest in a real cloud platform and get off of microsoft's nutsack. xenserver is free and that's what your so-called competitors, Amazon and Rackspace are using. Your platform isn't of higher quality just because it has microsoft's name on it. You need to start paying attention to what's actually going on in the industry and use a proven solution.

"New management did not come with leadership skills. Fractured company hiring to avoid working with existing teams."

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lunch on Wednesday for Chicago employees

Cons

Hostway has been a struggling company for many years due to no leadership and poor communication. In December of last year Hostway was acquired by Littlejohn & Co. and we all thought positive changes would come. Instead there was a period of silence lasting 6 months. Culture and morale are in the toilet and the amateur move by new management was to institute an employee appreciation program to distract everyone and give "HR" something to do. The result, support gets well deserved praise (but this doesn't assist in vision development or leadership it only highlights that a killer support team needs to exists because the rest of the company fails to execute), ops congratulating each other for keeping dying systems running and it kills enough time in the all hands that no one can ask real questions.
    With several months of new management the one positive change is getting rid of a problematic VP. Half way through Q1 and our new leadership is radio silent, hiring another layer so they don't have to deal with existing teams and problems because they are old school (literally) and don't have the energy to build teams using the SMEs that have been holding out for hope and leadership. With the end of their own careers nearing retirement the only management (note that leadership isn't even a worthy term) they have left is to hide from their responsibilities by creating another layer of management that will take at least 6 months to get up to speed and good luck getting people in the company to talk. Hosting is not hard. Leading is hard and we are making this so much harder than it needs to be. Why. Ego.

Advice to Management

None

"I wish there was a "Zero Star" to share my accurate feelings of Hostway."

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one Pro.. sorry. These are the guys that make other hosting providers look good.

Cons

Most of the really good people come and go within a year or two. People that don't know any better or can't get a better job tend to stick around.

I left because I couldn't sell their "managed" solution with a straight face.

The "cloud" is a joke. It's Hyper-V. They talk about their Microsoft cloud like it's a good thing to have a Microsoft cloud. Their cloud is virtualization with a dashboard.. that's it.

The only deals that can be won are the companies that are shopping on price. IMHO if someone buys an old server in a poorly managed datacenter and doesn't get references.. they get what they deserve. I sold too many deals based on the relationship I built and got burned _every_ time.

"Great Learning Ground- Nothing More"

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn the ins and outs of hosting and take that somewhere to begin a career.
    Get paid to learn about a very lucrative industry.
    You can network with seasoned vets that will help you advance to other companies.
    Skilled vets that can help you learn

Cons

Very "boys club" type environment
    Horrible leadership
    No product or product launches in the foreseeable future
    Compensation is minimal. Unreasonable quotas and POOR marketing make it almost impossible to hit commission targets thus 1000% attainment is non existent
    Very low employee morale
    Product management tells the same stories at every meeting so it looks like something is being done but the end result is nothing.
    Cloud platform is a joke
    Marketing is failing at every level
    Lead flow is practically non existent
    30 sales reps and about 5 new leads a month

Advice to Management

Let the few seasoned individuals you are lucky enough to have on the team (still) give some kind of direction to the company
    Do a complete marketing overhaul
    Do a sales leadership overhaul
    Stop using the "retail" side of the business to hide the total failure of the managed side
    Scare tactics on current employees do not work
    Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and regroup. After 3 plus years, it is safe to say what you have been doing is not working at all.
    Maybe update this profile to show that Bob Boles is now CEO and not Martis. I totally understand though, if I were the social media girl I would dread to see what is on this site as well.

"One of the worst experiences of my life. Run, don't walk, away"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. No one there is actually mean or anything like that, they just lack maturity and business acumen

Cons

No strategy, no goals (corporate or individual), no communication from the upper management, no accountability, deadlines are a joke, It's like a start up mentality but without the drive to actually get any work done

Advice to Management

Fire everyone starting with the CEO and start again.

"Change needs to start at the very top to make a difference"

Current Employee - BDC in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - BDC in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketing Leadership seems to have a good idea of where the company should be headed which conflicts with the thoughts of Sales Leadership.

Cons

To say morale is low would be an understatement. I've seen employees literally crying at work due to their frustration with management.

Starting with the CEO, John Martis. He has not once walked the floor of the office to say hello or asked how his employees are doing. There are several employees working with Hostway today that have not met John.

Leadership is not only lacking, it is downright incompetent. Discussions with Leadership In San Antonio throughout the day usually involve politics, guns, shoes and more politics. Sales is something that is talked about behind closed doors being that they are lost and have no idea how to right the ship

Advice to Management

Restructure from the top. Make your leaders more accountable than your reps and you'll start seeing results instead of getting excuses. Today Sales blames marketing for poor leads. Recognize where the industry is headed and adjust. If you don't have this vision, hire someone who does.