Hostway Reviews | Glassdoor

Hostway Reviews

Updated July 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment (in 13 reviews)

• You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to brag about where I work but no one has heard of us unless you are in the industry (in 3 reviews)

• Absolutely no vision or communicated strategy by C-Level to staff (in 2 reviews)

"Company is positioning for bankruptcy"

Pros

None anymore. Company has laid off critical employees that have been around since the begining

Cons

Everything. Company has gone completely top heavy with "executives". Little John is doing what investment firms do. Company will not be around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

I fear it is to late to save the company

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We appreciate your feedback and review. We take current and former employee reviews seriously and will pass your feedback on to our leadership team.

"Don't do it!"

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

There are a few great people.

Cons

The make false promises and never do what they say they will. They will do anything for a sale including living to a customer. The managers are the worst. The employees are great people but management ruins everything. They can not explain how your commission works and will let you go in the blink of an eye if you question their methods to much.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds in your management levels asap.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We always want to put our employees and customers first. Keeping an open dialogue is the best way to make improvements. We really appreciate your feedback.

"Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are really nice people. At least in the San Antonio office. There is so much potential, but the sales managers stand in the way of progress.

Cons

Sales managers are extremely unethical. I have worked around sales reps for many years and there is usually some small sense of walking the line, but the sales managers at hostway blatantly live in he wrong side of what's right for the customer and the company.

Advice to Management

You need to realize there is such a thing as bad revenue. Not every sale that you can make will be good for the customers or company. Focus on the technologies that you understand and can execute on properly and abandon the sinking ship technologies. Just because you have poured a lot of money into a project does not mean you should continue throwing good money after bad.

Oct 21, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your feedback and review. We will pass this information on to our leadership team. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, if you’d like to speak more about concerns you have, please... More

"Going downhill"

Pros

Reasonable level of autonomy
    Lots of good people to work with (outside management)

Cons

No career development, lack of leadership skills, lack of structure.

Managers and executives are often shipped in from other companies. They try to make changes, they cannot get them done, they leave. Slowly Hostway has been left with the dregs who cannot be employed anywhere else. They have no idea what they're doing.

Constant cuts to operations have left the company unable to support its customer base. Pretty much issues are left to bounce around until the complaining customer takes their business elsewhere, hence resolving the problem! Customer reviews, like the reviews here, are absolutely atrocious. They're always getting slammed on Facebook, and righty so. Hostway employees have been pushing the reviews up by rating them 5 star. And reflect a company with deep-deep problems.

Nobody knows how most of the systems work, because we laid off the people who made them.

They look to be streamlining the business in order to sell it on (it's owned by a venture capitalist company at the moment). However I doubt they'll find a buyer before all the customers leave, as it's certainly not a customer focuses streamlining.

Advice to Management

Change the management. The company is ill, and it's getting more ill every day.

Invest in operations. Look after the customers first, instead of trying to make the company look attractive (on paper) so the investors can cash out.

Oct 7, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you very much. This is really insightful feedback. We’re excited to have our new CEO on board and are looking forward to the renewed focus on customer service he’s bringing with him. We’re... More

"lost in space"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway (More than a year)

Pros

I work on commission so the pay is adequate and I like the hours.

Cons

Absolutely no direction from management. Products are released that are severely underdeveloped and lacking in value. Promises are routinely broken and the feeling is one of panic and desperation.

Advice to Management

sell this company to people who have common sense please, it's still salvageable and in the right hands it can become a real competitor on the market.

Sep 9, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

Thanks for your feedback and review. We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to improve Hostway. Hostway has experienced many positive changes in leadership and structure that best positions... More

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Systems Support Administrator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Support Administrator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hostway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food once a week, semi-flexible work hours, plenty of vacation time, low stress work environment.

Cons

Pay could be a little better, and more people on each shift would be nice.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, maybe add one more person to each shift.

Sep 9, 2016 – Marketing Campaign Manager

We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to improve Hostway. Thank you for your review.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Office is in a great location in Chicago, fantastic views. You will get thrown into many different roles without guidance, if you like to learn a lot, that's a positive. Office environment is relaxed and casual.

Cons

Management and senior management offer no guidance and are sexist. HR is there for the benefit of the company, never the employees. Promotion within is hard because there is no plan for the future. There is no recognition of hard work because knowing what "hard" is requires a baseline for "normal" which does not exist.

Advice to Management

Hire some capable managers who can plan for the future, and not short term. Create solutions that address the Long Term fix instead of constantly firefighting. Spend resources/funds to hire the best instead of cutting cost and short changing people. Listen to your employees and customers. Offer more guidance and hold your favorite employees more accountable.

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I agree that things have changed but not all change is bad - it provides opportunity for growth and transformation. The recent changes at Hostway... More

"Not a good place for minorities or women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot and get involved in many different projects if you make connections with the right people.

Cons

For a company that used to be minority owned, Hostway has done a great job turning itself into a completely straight white male, conservative, corporate place that is borderline hostile to women.
    Beyond that, the leadership makes constant changes that seem to have no impact on the bottom line. They make changes just to show investors they're doing something... But whatever they're doing, it isn't helping the company.
    The culture is depressing. Anyone who has been with the company for more than a couple of years is pessimistic and bitter. There are a lot of new people, but that's because the company can't hold onto employees at any level. Top level leaders are turning over as quickly as entry level employees.

Advice to Management

Your decisions aren't strategic, they're schizophrenic. What are you trying to hide?

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve so we genuinely appreciate your feedback - especially with regard to internal movement recognition. We are always trying to... More

"project mangaement"

Pros

some great people. great office locations. decent benefits.

Cons

disorganized and mismanaged. lack of overall communication and process. development not accountable for anything and is always late and buggy on delivery.

Advice to Management

none

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

I agree that things have changed. All businesses change over time. Changes come because of new ownership, leadership or changes in strategy. Change is not bad, it provides opportunity for growth and... More

10. "nice place to start"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great job especially for entry level devs

Cons

not much room for growth, can be a bit hectic

Mar 31, 2016 – sr dir, content marketing

Thanks for sharing your insight. Hostway cares about our professional employees and encourages them to share ideas and help the business grow. Hostway believes strongly in developing employees and... More