Hot Topic Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

Hot Topic CEO Steve Vranes
Steve Vranes
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The fact that there is not really a dress code is awesome (in 107 reviews)

• If you are a fan of the merchandise you can expect a great employee discount (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Making sales associates work 3 shifts just so they don't have to take a break on company time (in 44 reviews)

• Lack of consistency in upper management (outside of store level) (in 42 reviews)

1. "For the most part; neutral to happy with my experience at Hot Topic"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, GREAT employee discount, cool merchandise, relatively easy work, some nice coworkers and customers.

Cons

SERIOUS THEFT PROBLEM, too much strenuous work to do in short time, really rude and hassling customers, way store is run and managed needs serious work.

Advice to Management

This is advice to headquarters and higher ups, not managers. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE, both managers and sales associates. The work we have to do for the amount we get paid is NOT ENOUGH.
    Also, fix the way the stores are run, managed, and set up. The computer systems, registers, and store set ups are run very poorly and harder for employees to work with. And do something about the theft problem. IT IS SO BAD, I fear for the company's future from how much money get lost from shop lifters.

2. "Key holder"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun
    Laid back
    Good music
    Great people
    Culture
    Discounts

One of the best things is being able to express your individuality.

Cons

The only issue I had was the late weekend hours at the store where I worked. Other than that it was a great experience.

"Almost perfect"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best co workers, fun customers, great discount, Fun environment, great hours.

Cons

Pay sucks, Store manager & GM.. Not so great. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop babying your managers just because they've been there for over 5 years. People get too comfortable & need to be let go. Your losing GOOD employees who have potential to grow and Your business, because of them

"Have to Love it."

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great team
    -Awesome management
    -Interacting with customers
    -Meeting people from all over
    -Be recognized for your hard work you put into the store
    -Constantly learning

Cons

If you consider working here you'll most likely start off seasonal, you'll have to learn how to greet, which seems easy, but if you're quiet or shy it really sucks because people can be rude, or not speak the language and it's really awkward because you are expected to "greet." By greeting I mean showing off an item that is the selling focus like a new shirt or sweaters for the school/winter season and then saying the promo. It's unacceptable to say the promotion and then show the item, so showing the item is awkward because not many people care or theyre not interested and then block out the rest of what you're saying regarding the sales for the day. It's hard to be expected to do that. Especially when tasking. Register is fun but annoying. You're forced to sign people up for loyalty cards, you no longer ask if they want one, you just begin the process and usually stop if they notice in the middle of handing you their information or if it's too busy to sign them up. It's very uncomfortable and feels deceptive, also pushing for credit card sign ups, very stressful for associate and customer, no one wants a credit check or high interests rates and no associate wants to be reprimanded for not achieving a credit card approval despite truly trying. Tasking and shipment is difficult because there is never truly enough time to do everything they want within a 3 hour shift. Complete task, help customers, and process shipment. All in a shift. It's stupid and you're not paid enough for it. You're really not. Hours are based on sales, and favoritism. Sales can be cut down because you're on register and not the sales floor, or tasking, or its an off day, while it should be considered it's typically not during the making of the schedule. If you request time off your hours will be cut down, if they call you in a few times but you can't work because you have a life other than that store on your day off they eventually don't ask even when you volunteer or display reliability. There are many expectations for little pay and no hours, you have to really love this job and customer service to do it.

Advice to Management

No favoritism with hours please. It's so stupid. Be more forgiving when time off is requested and praise a little more often. Realize that associates do have lives and plan that around the schedule created, it's foolish to expect them to show up on their day off because its urgently busy. Not fair and not enough pay to cut down their hours for not being flexible in certain regards.

5. "Easy Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Management, Flexible Schedule, Fun Job. You get to socialize with all kinds of clientele, good as a starter experience in customer service.

Cons

Low Pay, hardly any opportunity for advancement. Repetitive work, can be boring on slow days.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a more deserving wage.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were mostly friendly and felt like a close family.

Cons

Pay is well under normal compensation for the work asked to preform.

Advice to Management

You ask too much of your employees for the rate you pay them, especially the management staff.

7. "Newbie"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice managers, fun coworkers, good store atmosphere

Cons

Lots of standing with no break, greetings can be difficult and not up to their standards when you think you're doing good, customers get cranky

"Competent and worth the time"

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent management where I was at. Easy to talk to, nice to get along with. Definitely get a nice discount for clothing; easy to upgrade your wardrobe in a few paychecks.

Cons

Customers can be jerks. Sometimes, managing customer requests means running to and back from a manager for assistance. Managing items in the back or front can get tiring and annoying. Young kids (middle school to early high school) are both the most frequent spenders and most annoying experience you'll have in retail.

Advice to Management

Change the way some things are handled. Give employee's a bit more control in terms of managing customers and life becomes easier for everyone.

9. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

you get the chance to interact with all kind of people, listen to good music while you work, develop really good management style

Cons

pay rate is not that good if you got promoted within, the fact that the company tried to go in some many different direction got you confuse at some point.

Advice to Management

keep the good work and always lead by example

"Music, pop cluture, records, fashion, fun!"

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

great job that suited my personal ethics and style. I was a happy and willing brand ambassador.

Cons

My store location was closed down quite abruptly. My DM was not informed either which meant There was no opportunity for my relacation to another location within the company. Overall, my particular situation was handled with little to no tact or concern for maintaining a superb store staff and management team.

Advice to Management

realize that your employees are human beings with families, mortgages, and lives. We are not some number. The company has started to forget this as Lisa Harper took control of the company. In my store's articular case, she willfully closed down a very good performing store with no plan of moving locations, which may effectively lose the company some of its clientele in the area.