Hot Topic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hot Topic CEO Steve Vranes
Steve Vranes

Pros
  • The fact that there is not really a dress code is awesome (in 98 reviews)

• Easy going environment, great employee discount, good music, opportunity to move up with hard work (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Making sales associates work 3 shifts just so they don't have to take a break on company time (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't always understand in-store problems-- too far removed (in 39 reviews)

"Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Metairie, LA

Pros

Great people and a fun enviornment.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement, sometimes poor development of internal candidates

Advice to Management

Keep closer tabs on regional and district managers. Ask those who work under them for feedback more than once a year.

"Hot Topic: the sky is the limit for benefits and career advancement."

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Store Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Store Manager in Tacoma, WA

Pros

The benefits are amazing! Awesome discount that extends to Torrid & Shockhound.com. Low cost healthcare options for management (even part-timers!), Stock options, company-matching 401k, monthly bonus opportunities, band grants, tuition scholarships, concert reimbursement and other contests for cash & prizes. Additionally, Hot Topic is a fun place to work and has great people across the board extending from HQ down to all the stores. Career growth potential? The sky is the limit! If you are willing and able HT will take you to the top of the company and everyone above you has a vested interest in you, your training and your advancement.

Cons

From my experience, it is impossible to be highly effective as a member of management without having Hot Topic consuming a lot of your free time. Do not misunderstand me, they discourage and actually prohibit anyone from working off the clock, but if you want product knowledge (namely music) you have to seek that out on your own time. You are required to be an "expert" on everything HT sells, being an expert on that much stuff is time consuming! Every really good manager has no life outside of work- sad but true. I also think that there is a lot of stress for management, especially if you take your job seriously and want your store to do well. Managers wear many hats- they are sales people, they are coaches, motivators, planners, merchandisers, stockers, cashiers, loss prevention and sometimes have to unclog toilets and dig through trash- all while trying to make it appear to customers that they're just hanging out having fun. It is a lot to juggle sometimes.

Advice to Management

I would strongly advise them to try harder to find candidates to promote from within the company before looking elsewhere and hiring outside the company. My personal experience with this has led me to believe that if they invested as much time, effort, training and confidence in preparing the assistants they already have for Store Management positions as they do with outsiders their success rate would be much higher.

3. "Amezing love the people."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

Moneys Great,Lots of friends love working thir!

Cons

Noun your all amezing love all of working their

Advice to Management

love you!

4. "Energetic and Fun"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent management team and staff. Very flexible with schedules and shifts. Always willing to help staff improve.

Cons

Pay is horrible. I have been working there for 5 years or more and my pay is very low compared to the starting in other retail stores.

5. "It was a great learning experience for my first retail job."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kaneohe, HI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kaneohe, HI

Pros

The discount is AMAZING. My associates are AWESOME. I like what the store stood for, pop cultrue and music.

Cons

Management changed then the environment changed.

Advice to Management

You can only sell what you have and who is there, don't stress about it.

"Do what you love and never work a day in your life."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Great discount, great people,customers and music! Liberal dress code does not force you into buying all Hot Topic clothes.

Cons

With the rate of pay being on the lower side of the retail world, it is difficult to obtain and keep talented people.

7. "A Dream Come True"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

Pros

HT has a great environment
    Friendly customers
    Helpful coworkers
    Friendly and honest management
    Great discount (20% on electronics, 40% on all clothing and accessories)
    Worlds best dress code, WHATEVER YOU WANT!
    Everyone I work with is supportiveand cool with my sexuality

Cons

There are so many TWILIGHT shirts to fold lol
    Closing is a little hecktic but still nice
    Not being full time :)

Advice to Management

I love everything about HT, the culture, the music, the enironment, the people, even the scene kids. I love working here! I often show off my name tag to my friends and they all moan in jealousy. Honestly, This could be my career for a long time...

8. "Most pleasant job I've ever had."

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

-Great work environment
    -Great music while you work (of all genres)
    -Lots of communication

Cons

-Much lower pay than most ASM positions.

Advice to Management

I worked at Hot Topic for about three years total and I loved every minute of it. The only reason I left was because of pay. Other than that, I was completely happy.

9. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

you get the chance to interact with all kind of people, listen to good music while you work, develop really good management style

Cons

pay rate is not that good if you got promoted within, the fact that the company tried to go in some many different direction got you confuse at some point.

Advice to Management

keep the good work and always lead by example

"It is a unqiue store that provides fashion to the ones who mainly appricates music."

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a store where you will discover a new world of music, and you will feel passionate about working in a store who appricates the art of music.

Cons

Well my main style is a band shirt & some skinny jeans, and as of lately the Hot Topic i attend on a regular basis have been stocking more on Barbie supplies or Hello Kitty, instead of the things they usually have.

Advice to Management

Less stocking on the rappers, Barbie, and Hello Kitty & More band related things. Alternative, Metal, Rock, Deathcore and so on.