Found 2,064 of over 2K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and discounts it was awesome back in the day when hottopic was one of a kind rock store" (in 139 reviews)
- "great coworkers to work with and friendly" (in 123 reviews)
- "Fun work environment and coworkers" (in 56 reviews)
- "Great benefits even for part" (in 54 reviews)
- "Great employees Friendly customers Easy to do" (in 38 reviews)
- "The pay is low and you only get a good amount of hours to actually pay bills if you are upper level management." (in 270 reviews)
- "Poor management and HR." (in 117 reviews)
- "No hours to work with." (in 85 reviews)
- "manager can be rude and a downer sometimes." (in 71 reviews)
- "Far too much drama from upper management and poor communication" (in 60 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Hot Topic and is not affected by filters.
- 3.0Nov 28, 2023ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsToronto, ON
Good discount, cool people, casual dress, great music.
Long hours, lack of training, no support from upper management.
- 4.0Nov 28, 2023Store ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsManassas, VA
Some of the best retail memories I've made were at Hot Topic! You have a devoted customer base that you can get to know and grow. When hiring associates you know you're bringing new members to your team that are passionate about music, pop culture, and self expression.
The hours can be long and the payroll can be short. As a manager, I found it disheartening that I could not give my associates the hours they desperately wanted to work.
- 4.0Nov 24, 2023Technical Support SpecialistCurrent EmployeeSunnyvale, CA
-Management is professional -Chances To Advance -Full Benefits offerred
-Low Yearly Pay Raises -Call Center Environment
- 3.0Nov 20, 2023Sales AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearHicksville, NY
good discount and nice customers
the management and higher ups don't really take the problems of the employees seriously
- 4.0Nov 18, 2023Retail Sales AssociateCurrent Employee
Honestly, one of the best reasons to work for this company are the people you meet along the way.
The pay isn’t that great. Part time hardly gets hours.
- 4.0Nov 18, 2023Sales AssociateFormer Employee, more than 1 yearOkemos, MI
- Good discount - Fun merchandise to sell - Cool coworkers
- Revolving door - Low pay - So slow outside of the holidays
- 1.0Nov 18, 2023Assistant ManagerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearGrove City, PA
Some of the other sales associates were okay to work with
Management was crap she treated us like dogs who were supposed to do every little thing that she said meanwhile she just sat there and did nothing all day not to mention the fact that she's very abusive to her employees and the company as a whole doesn't seem to be doing anything about it
- 4.0Nov 17, 2023Retail Sales AssociateFormer Employee, less than 1 yearJohnstown, PA
Great employee discount, friendly coworkers and great culture, customers tend to be more pleasant than usual.
No benefits as a part-time employee, low hours after peak season.
Hot Topic Reviews FAQs
Hot Topic has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 2,125 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at Hot Topic to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.
56% of Hot Topic employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hot Topic 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.