Hot Topic Reviews | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The fact that there is not really a dress code is awesome (in 110 reviews)

• Employee discount is the best I've ever had (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Making sales associates work 3 shifts just so they don't have to take a break on company time (in 44 reviews)

• Lack of consistency in upper management (outside of store level) (in 42 reviews)

1. "ok for teens or quick time job"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, ability to be yourself at work, and great customers that can become long lasting friends.

Cons

poor management from the higher ups in the company, poor company policies, terrible wages, very hard to move up within the company outside of store management.

Advice to Management

more like advice to company higher ups: listen to what your staffs in store have to say dont just judge based what district managers say. Offer mental health benefits, and make it so employees working in stores can move up to become district, regional, and HQ workers

2. "Assisting customers, using cash registers, cleaning and organizing the store, and occasional shipment duties."

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is amazing and understanding. Customers are friendly, too. The pay is decent for a starter job.

Cons

Very limited hours besides holiday hours. Associates tend to get left in the dark about shifts and hours.

Advice to Management

Just like how managers are important, sales associates are, too. They need more hours and a better pay. Adding time for them will be helpful.

3. "Awesome music and cool environment"

Pros

Chill group of coworkers
    Get to interact with customers who are like you

Cons

Honestly not much, the pay was low but that's expected for this kind of short term work

4. "A nice place to work for a student"

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

nice coworkers and managers overall

Cons

always expected to push sales even on families that obviously need to save their money

Advice to Management

stop worrying about sales and worry about your customers wellbeing. a customer would rather see that than a greedy salesperson

5. "Decent Job"

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

Loved my manager and team. We worked really well together.

Cons

Too heavy a focus on sales - especially signing up for credit cards.

6. "Fun, until you reach full time."

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, minimal dress code, most of the employees are cool, and it's cool to relate so closely with your coworkers, and the discount is great. If you live in a metropolitan area, e.g. Dallas, Houston, etc, promotions and transfers are plentiful. The company loves to promote from within.

Cons

Heavy workload for little pay. They are incredibly stingy with hours. You have 1 person on the clock all day, except for about 3 hours, one of which is used to relive for breaks. You're expected to juggle customers, store maintenance, and process all of your shipment singlehandedly, as well as about a dozen other time consuming tasks.

7. "It use to be great."

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, mostly fun staff, cool merchandise

Cons

Outdated procedures and methods, lack of training for new hires, lack of incentive for employees (management and associates)

Advice to Management

Management does what it can, the company needs to realize that the only reason HT still exists is because they have the best kind of people on their staffs. People that want to do well even when the company is so outdated that all it does is set them back and make everything harder to be accomplished. I had the best managers when I started and was surrounded by the best people and for that I am truly grateful.

But the company needs to get with it and update the way it functions to be able to compete with all the other stores that are now selling the same merchandise at lower prices, offer better benefits and commissions to their hard working employees. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company UNLESS they manage to do a huge turnaround.

8. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, interesting atmosphere, good music, nice customers.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, trying to push credit cards on children, having to call customers to ask them to come spend Hot Cash, very uninvolved upper management (Regional Managers), and in my area, very unprofessional upper management (District Manager).

Advice to Management

Regional Managers and higher should really start paying attention to how District Managers are treating and speaking to their Store Managers.

9. "Fun Work Environment"

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

Working around fandoms you love, fun environment, awesome music

Cons

Strict management, very fast paced environment, getting called in at the last second

10. "Decent starting job, not meant for long term I think."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a good staff its a great work environment. Its easy to make friends with your coworkers and management. The product we sell is cool and more up to date than you might think. There is chance for promotion but its never guaranteed, and you've got to always be on your 100% A-game to have management consider you for promotion. If its a smaller, less busy location, the loyal customer base can be really cool and you'll recognize people coming in all the time. This is a good first time job to get you introduced to a fast paced, highly personable and customer focused retail selling.

Cons

It feels like the company as a whole doesn't REALLY care about the employees. Benefits are only offered to full-time management positions. Starting pay is $7.25, and you only start to make $10+ once you get to an assistant management position.

Both locations I've worked at had a high turn over rate for associates, either because the associates flake out, or the management and work load scare them off, or they find a better paying job that offers more in a career future. The selling model is best for those who enjoy interacting with people, if you are at all introverted or shy or just don't like talking to people, the way this company expects you to act will drain you. This job is not as laid back as you think.