Hot Topic Reviews | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The fact that there is not really a dress code is awesome (in 97 reviews)

• 40% employee discount on top of sales (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always understand in-store problems-- too far removed (in 39 reviews)

• Competitive hours for sales associates (in 38 reviews)

"Almost perfect"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best co workers, fun customers, great discount, Fun environment, great hours.

Cons

Pay sucks, Store manager & GM.. Not so great. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop babying your managers just because they've been there for over 5 years. People get too comfortable & need to be let go. Your losing GOOD employees who have potential to grow and Your business, because of them

2. "Cool place for a first job"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and Co-workers are awesome. Its cool that you work and interact with customers with the same interest as you.

Cons

If you go in during the black friday season, training may be rushed so stay alert. Cashier may be tricky at first.

Advice to Management

Provide more time to training new employees as well as a more organized schedule where we actually know when break time is.

3. "A Little Misguided"

Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40% discount on almost everything, on top of most sales. Great staff on store level.

Cons

Too much merchandise and not enough time, space, or resources to deal with it all. Company cuts hours constantly.

Advice to Management

Don't overwhelm employees with tasks and merchandise while taking away hours and resources. Invest in your workforce.

5. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse and fun staff with lots of room for growth in the company. Good benefits, great discount, pays well.

Cons

There is never really down time between seasons as with any retail job. It's either back to school, Halloween, floor sets, remodels, etc. As a manager here, expect to work!

Advice to Management

Upper management works well with the stores and they care for their employees. They do a great job running a smooth operation.

6. "Scent starting job"

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Great Neck, NY

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very motivated to young professionals, hires a lot of young people. Great energy in the work place with contests and bonuses

Cons

Revolving door of people and sometimes catty environment. Slow to promote which leads to a lot of external hiring and has slot of potential leaving for opportunities

7. "It was generally okay, no complaints, just be honest and bring out the best in your qualities."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in El Centro, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in El Centro, CA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

You can gain experience, the salary goes up depending on title, can be a regular employee if you do a great job.

Cons

The work is demanding, time consuming and managers can cut your hours if they wanted to, simply because someone can work better than you b

Advice to Management

Ask more questions relating work experience other than personality.

"Sales Assosiate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeping hip with the current fashion and pop culture trends,Comfortable Uniforms, Caring management who listens, Chances to move up in the company, Art marketing opportunities, Interesting cliental that ranges across the board, social networking opportunities,

Cons

short hours, depending on location holidays are taken away

Advice to Management

Your employees in your shops are your easiest way to get intel on what's happening within the front lines. I think that hot topic needs a place on their websites that employees can make suggestions. These suggestions can go to an "idea guy" and that guy can see if any of the ideas could be put into action on the sales floor. It would mean less time brainstorming for the executives that aren't in the shops everyday.

"Wonderful and fun place to work"

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

-Easy job,
    -Great discounts,
    -Fun coworkers/employees,
    -Will work around your schedule,
    -Coworkers take the time to train you and answer questions.

Cons

A serious lack of hours. Each store is "given" so many hours per week to divide between employees. If you need an actual job to pay bills, this my not be the job for you. If you are looking for a little extra pocket money or amazing discounts on awesome merchandise, this is an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

-None. Great management.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, easy job all around, comfortable and easy going. Good first time job for teens or anyone of any age.

Cons

Dealing with picky customers, part of retail. Low pay for sales associates. Hours can vary greatly from 5 hours a week to 35 depending on time of year.

Advice to Management

Consider paying sales associates more and consider hiring managers internally. Train and keep same people and don't hire and cycle through lots of new associates.

"You Might Be Fired If..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naples, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I throughly enjoyed working with the customers of Hot Topic and all of the other responsibilities of my job. I love the Hot Topic style. I have been a long time customer myself, purchasing 80% of my clothes and accessories at Hot Topic.

Cons

Before I started working here, several people (former employees and customers) commented negatively about the current manager and warned me about taking the job.

During my short time working here the manager fired one person ( before their 90 day probation was up) for "talking with other team members outside of work". I was also fired- unjustly.

As a customer I have seen many sales associates come and go, now I know why.

Advice to Management

Find a manager with more professionalism and maturity. Someone who is wiling to teach and work with their staff instead of getting rid of them with unjust and ridiculous excuses, especially when those sales associates are invested in the brand as I was.