Hotel del Coronado Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Server/bartender"

I worked at Hotel del Coronado full-time

Pros

Easy money. Summertime is very busy and you will save quite a bit of cash by the end of season. Coworkers are awesome.

Cons

Very disorganised, always running out of things like cups and napkins. Management is usually hard to find.

Advice to Management

Overstock for busy months.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coronado, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coronado, CA

I have been working at Hotel del Coronado (Less than a year)

Pros

Ocean view that you occasionally get to see. To outsiders saying you work here sounds impressive due to history...but it's rep is declining.

Cons

Lack of communication. Severely understaffed and under resourced. Poor benefits. No opportunity for career advancement. No training. No support....need I go on?

3. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Coronado, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Coronado, CA

I have been working at Hotel del Coronado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a great foundation about all operations of the hotel at the Front Desk, and the management is really willing to help you succeed and grow.

Cons

There is never a set schedule in the hotel industry. Hours can be unpredictable and at the Front Desk new agents have to work the overnight shifts.

5. "Loyalty doesn't go far amongst management but overall a lovely place"

Pros

A beach resort? What better environment? You can enjoy all the Sun and beach you can stand. You can be apart of guests lifetime dreams at this historical landmark. Great memories are made daily. Benefits are GREAT, a little pricey but worth it. I enjoyed most of my employment there and made some great friends. Though sad to leave, I would still say it was fun

Cons

Upper management doesn't count loyalty for those that have been there anywhere from 5+ years to even 50yrs. They SAY it's a "family", BUT you can and will be dropped at the snap of a finger for even the smallest of issues. You can and will wonder how SOME of the worst associates are still there and some of the BEST have been replaced whether it be by personal motives (happens quite a bit) or sheer idiocy on the part of management. Accepting THEIR roles in bad choices made, NOT gonna happen. No 401k matchup at the end of year for associates. HIGH turnover in management in their food and beverage department. The cafeteria? Don't get me started on THAT. Half the time folks don't eat cause the food is trash. And alot have gotten sick. Stay away from the cafeteria fish...uh uh. Most people these days have families...a little more empathy for that could go a long way. They changed alot of their business outlook to try and cater to more convention groups...bad idea. Its NOT a convention hotel but that's where the money comes in I guess. Treat ALL guests whether leisure or group guests the same. Shouldn't be different.

Advice to Management

Put more trust in your employees. Reward those besides some corny gift after they have been there for so long. Show more support for staff if they are doing their best and others think different. Try and research getting employees assistance if it's warranted, whether it be work related or personal. Take value in your associates, the hospitality industry isn't easy for everyone and showing how much you value them would change alot of employees minds about their jobs. More than alot are working from paycheck to paycheck and because they have to so leaving isn't an option so show that you value them more. Happy employees make for for better business. Lastly, the hotel is a historical landmark, PLEASE STOP making it seem as if budget is/should be an issue. It may seem as if I'm disgruntled but trust I'm NOT. I've been to this property throughout my life having been born and raised here, I loved the time while I was there and fortunately moving on to other opportunities. There's alot of greatness there, just a few opinions of a former employee...

6. "Hotel del Coronado"

Pros

Being so close to the beach was a great thing

Cons

There was preference for employees who had seniority.

Advice to Management

Make the environment more friendly so others can feel comfortable asking for help

7. "Rats. Poor Management."

I worked at Hotel del Coronado full-time

Pros

- good starting pay for someone right out of high school
    - good location

Cons

- rats roamed around at night and every time we closed, they would run out
       - even after reporting a dead rat to our managers and supervisors, they didn't remove it, they just
         covered it with detergent which made the smell worse
    - no air conditioning in the ice cream shop and a very cramped working space with broken ice cream machines
    - managers would get mad, even though new hires were not properly trained on techniques for scooping ice cream

Advice to Management

- respect your new hires, we don't deserve to be scolded if we weren't taught to do things in the first place
    - look under the counters and please clean the rat poop in there

8. "Great pay, hours can be much and extremely unionized."

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Coronado, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Coronado, CA

I have been working at Hotel del Coronado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great, people are amazing, good atmosphere. Also commission is a great plus and makes it worth it to be there.

Cons

It is extremely unionized so if you get hired be ready to work the night shifts because with the union they take seniority very seriously when it comes to schedule

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

9. "Its okay for about a year."

I have been working at Hotel del Coronado full-time

Pros

They do have you go into different areas so it helps with acquiring all around skills. Its great for job security the people there are really nice and are all great.

Cons

The upper management isn't to great and doesn't really hear you out.

"Disjointed and unsupportive upper management"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hotel del Coronado (More than a year)

Pros

Iconic, historic, beautiful. If you work here, you can work anywhere in the world. A large resort with many departments.

Cons

Too much ownership change, no real vision, upper management too concerned with P&L and not employee/management development or support. Hiring, purchasing and projects move at a snails pace.
    It's very frustrating to work here, lots of talk but very little action in terms of having the tools to do your job. There is virtually no on boarding or training for managers.

Advice to Management

Replace Executive Team with one that cares.

"enjoyed KSL under Todd S. and Donna G"

Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in Coronado, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in Coronado, CA

I worked at Hotel del Coronado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly enjoyed my experience when both executives were managing. I learned so much and was moved in various departments. I also thought they compensated well and valued.

I am not sure how it is now but the Del is a tough property for the Front Office but the challenge forges you into a better hotelier.

I enjoyed the Management team on the top level esp. Donna B. G. and Todd. I felt that they really cared and were probably misunderstood. We also had the best Director of Front Office Jeff Marshall.

Cons

Oceanfront -so be aware that your guests are wandering around exploring and will forget to check out. I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to explore the beautiful grounds.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to share other than I hope they appreciate the rest of the Management team and promotes from within.