Hotels at Home Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 30, 2017

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Work Environment with Many Opportunities"

I worked at Hotels at Home as an intern

Pros

I started working last summer in March 2016. I walked in on my first day and was immediately given projects that not only helped me learn the company's system, but also challenged my knowledge. With each project came another opportunity to grow my knowledge in the Marketing field. I was also always included in department meetings, and even sat in on important business phone calls. With the knowledge I gained, I was able to find ways to benefit Hotels at Home. The teams listened and acted on my ideas. I truly felt I was part of a team and respected like any other member.
    After my summer was over, they asked me to come back and work during the fall semester on my free time (when I was not in class). I was willing to travel back and forth (45 minutes each way) because I was so excited to work for them again. Once I worked a couple months in the fall, I was asked to go on a business trip to help with company operations elsewhere. I went during my winter break for two weeks, and it was an amazing experience. I learned so much about the business world and international operations. I cannot be happier with the outcome I got from this internship.

Cons

Although the work environment is very friendly and welcoming, it would have been beneficial to have another intern there when I needed help on a project so I did not have to bother the team. However, whenever I asked for help, everyone was more than willing to take time out of their day to put me in the right direction.

Advice to Management

I learned the most through one on one meetings. I wish there was more time in the day to have more of these. However, I can see the difficulty in this considering everyone always had many things to complete.

"Good Entry Level job. Look elsewhere first though"

Former Employee - Concierge Service Representative in Fairfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Concierge Service Representative in Fairfield, NJ

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager is flexible/Understanding; Coffee and Soda; If you are just graduating college or looking to get back into the work force, could be a decent option. Allowed me to go part time to find a full time job with better benefits. Solid logistics department

Cons

Poor health benefits. Heavy expectation, low incentive. Low staff so if people call out, the work load can increase. There are people that will talk down to you. Especially if they do not like you. I had to find another job due to extremely weak benefits. I wound up going part time and the way they treated me changed drastically, as if they were offended that I needed to find a job to get health benefits for my kids. All of a sudden my work ethic was questioned heavily. Not a bad place to work but it is not for everyone. Unless you are looking to start a career in marketing/web-design, I would look elsewhere. The customer service manager is great, customer service agents are great but the structure, lack of incentive and overall atmosphere of the department is something I cannot recommend.

Advice to Management

Without customer service, there is no business. There should be a high focus on your CSR's. They work hard. Build more structure and give your customer service manager a larger staff so if 3 or 4 people are out, there are not only 2 or 3 people to answer phones. The manager should be responsible for overseeing the department, not taking calls all day. Treat people better. No reason to talk down to people.

"Not worth your time if you're not an entry level candidate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was really nice. Free coffee in the kitchen.

Cons

Seems that all positions are "entry" level so that they don't need to pay for the quality talent that they somehow acquire.

No HR department so there's no written documentation regarding benefits or other information that is useful to employees.

8.5 hour work day PLUS you're required to clock out for lunch.

Advice to Management

Show more interest in your employees. Start paying people a wage equivalent to their job description and not what you think is fair.

4. "Great Experience"

I worked at Hotels at Home as an intern

Pros

I had the opportunity to intern for Hotels at Home at their headquarters in France. I worked directly under the CEO, who is a great mentor and is always willing to take criticism and improve. He is very open to concerns of employees and truly cares about the company and all of its people. A real leader who empowers others to do their best work.

Cons

Was disorganized at times, could have saved time and created more benefit if the beginning was more dedicated to learning about the workings of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively seek advice from employees

5. "Positive Work Experience"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

As a former long-term employee (10+ years), I had a very positive employment experience at Hotels At Home. The company has been very successful and can offer amazing job opportunities to the right candidates. If you are willing to work hard, your efforts will be rewarded. The company offers opportunity for advancement and encourages continuing education. I found that the owners' doors were always open regardless of how busy they were. I was always made to feel welcome to sit in their offices and discuss any work issues that concerned me. They were receptive to suggestions and made me feel like a valued employee and an asset to the company. They were supportive and understanding during family emergencies. I have recommended Hotels At Home to friends and family.

Cons

Hotels At Home is a small company in spite of its international reach. If you are accustomed to working in a large corporate environment, there will be a period of adjustment for you. I came from that large corporate world and was hesitant at first, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed working in this smaller company environment.

Advice to Management

The owners work very long hours - they need to take more vacations.

"Don't work here"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

N/A Can't think of anything

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. It's clear that the owners do not care about their employees, only about the profit that they are making. Employees are underpaid, overworked and micromanaged. You are required to punch in and out every day, whether or not you're on a salary or hourly pay. If upper management isn't happy with your hours for whatever reason, you're brought in and spoken to about it like a kid in trouble at school. There is no HR department at this company so rules are constantly changing with no notice, nor do they apply to everyone either. If you make a mistake, it's blown up out of proportion, but if you do well, your efforts are not acknowledged. Everybody at the job is looking for something better. Stay away.

Advice to Management

You need an HR department to make sure all employees are being given the same benefits and are following the same rules. Treat your employees with genuine respect and care.

7. "Small Business with Long Term Employees"

Former Employee - Ecommerce
    Former Employee - Ecommerce

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Hotels at Home for over three years and feel fortunate to have started my career working with such a great company. There are many reasons that so many of the employees have been with the company for 8-10 years (or more) and are happy coming to work each day. Management keeps their doors open and always welcomed new ideas. They provided me (and many others) with opportunities that I would not have had anywhere else. I started in an operations role and when I expressed an interest in ecommerce and marketing I was provided those opportunities too. Management supports personal and professional growth for employees at all levels from warehouse workers to senior leadership. When I moved out of state, the experience I gained at Hotels at Home was a huge boost in my job search.

Cons

Rush hour traffic might be an issue depending on living location and real estate in close proximity to the company can be very expensive.

Advice to Management

Let me know if you open a new location in my state!

"Small business atmosphere"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

Small business values so not a lot of red tape with the flexibility to try new things.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation time.

Advice to Management

Better benefits and vacation.

"Worst Career Move"

Pros

Convenient location Not other Pros. I would give it negative ratings if I could.

Cons

Management is asking for change and once solutions are brought forth, management declines. Management does not value work/life balance. Management fires people and then stops them from receiving unemployment with lies.

Advice to Management

Not sure how you could all sleep at night knowing just how unfair you are and how you mistreat your employees daily.

"Leadership is CRAP! Pay is even more CRAP!"

Pros

Timings are flexible. If you come few mins early/late, no one is standing at the door to greet you by looking at the clock. Everyone in the office hate the same bunch of "smart" people.

Cons

It is a one man's show. Upper management makes it seem like its a team effort but it really is not. Most times, you won't even get a "hi, good morning" back if you greet some of them. Everything is very secretive. There is no sense of communication. You don't feel a part of the team. It is more like a dictatorship. If you do speak up and try to make your honest opinion count and it doesn't agree with the one man, you'll literally get kicked out of the next meeting. You will get the worst job offers because the one man wants to get everything out of you but not give you anything for it.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. You pay crap, you'll get crap. I didn't go through over a decade of schooling for punching in and out for lunch and getting monitored on a CCTV anytime i walked in and out the office. Learn to greet your employees and take a min out of your day to talk to them and not just ignore them most of the time, especially when they say "hi" to you first, at least smile and have the courtesy to say "hi" back; you hired them!