Hotels at Home Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 12, 2017

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Positive Work Experience"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

As a former long-term employee (10+ years), I had a very positive employment experience at Hotels At Home. The company has been very successful and can offer amazing job opportunities to the right candidates. If you are willing to work hard, your efforts will be rewarded. The company offers opportunity for advancement and encourages continuing education. I found that the owners' doors were always open regardless of how busy they were. I was always made to feel welcome to sit in their offices and discuss any work issues that concerned me. They were receptive to suggestions and made me feel like a valued employee and an asset to the company. They were supportive and understanding during family emergencies. I have recommended Hotels At Home to friends and family.

Cons

Hotels At Home is a small company in spite of its international reach. If you are accustomed to working in a large corporate environment, there will be a period of adjustment for you. I came from that large corporate world and was hesitant at first, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed working in this smaller company environment.

Advice to Management

The owners work very long hours - they need to take more vacations.

"Don't work here"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

N/A Can't think of anything

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. It's clear that the owners do not care about their employees, only about the profit that they are making. Employees are underpaid, overworked and micromanaged. You are required to punch in and out every day, whether or not you're on a salary or hourly pay. If upper management isn't happy with your hours for whatever reason, you're brought in and spoken to about it like a kid in trouble at school. There is no HR department at this company so rules are constantly changing with no notice, nor do they apply to everyone either. If you make a mistake, it's blown up out of proportion, but if you do well, your efforts are not acknowledged. Everybody at the job is looking for something better. Stay away.

Advice to Management

You need an HR department to make sure all employees are being given the same benefits and are following the same rules. Treat your employees with genuine respect and care.

3. "Small Business with Long Term Employees"

Former Employee - Ecommerce
    Former Employee - Ecommerce

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Hotels at Home for over three years and feel fortunate to have started my career working with such a great company. There are many reasons that so many of the employees have been with the company for 8-10 years (or more) and are happy coming to work each day. Management keeps their doors open and always welcomed new ideas. They provided me (and many others) with opportunities that I would not have had anywhere else. I started in an operations role and when I expressed an interest in ecommerce and marketing I was provided those opportunities too. Management supports personal and professional growth for employees at all levels from warehouse workers to senior leadership. When I moved out of state, the experience I gained at Hotels at Home was a huge boost in my job search.

Cons

Rush hour traffic might be an issue depending on living location and real estate in close proximity to the company can be very expensive.

Advice to Management

Let me know if you open a new location in my state!

"Small business atmosphere"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

Small business values so not a lot of red tape with the flexibility to try new things.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation time.

Advice to Management

Better benefits and vacation.

"Worst Career Move"

Pros

Convenient location Not other Pros. I would give it negative ratings if I could.

Cons

Management is asking for change and once solutions are brought forth, management declines. Management does not value work/life balance. Management fires people and then stops them from receiving unemployment with lies.

Advice to Management

Not sure how you could all sleep at night knowing just how unfair you are and how you mistreat your employees daily.

"Leadership is CRAP! Pay is even more CRAP!"

Pros

Timings are flexible. If you come few mins early/late, no one is standing at the door to greet you by looking at the clock. Everyone in the office hate the same bunch of "smart" people.

Cons

It is a one man's show. Upper management makes it seem like its a team effort but it really is not. Most times, you won't even get a "hi, good morning" back if you greet some of them. Everything is very secretive. There is no sense of communication. You don't feel a part of the team. It is more like a dictatorship. If you do speak up and try to make your honest opinion count and it doesn't agree with the one man, you'll literally get kicked out of the next meeting. You will get the worst job offers because the one man wants to get everything out of you but not give you anything for it.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. You pay crap, you'll get crap. I didn't go through over a decade of schooling for punching in and out for lunch and getting monitored on a CCTV anytime i walked in and out the office. Learn to greet your employees and take a min out of your day to talk to them and not just ignore them most of the time, especially when they say "hi" to you first, at least smile and have the courtesy to say "hi" back; you hired them!

"Micromanagement to a fault!"

I have been working at Hotels at Home full-time

Pros

Small company so there's a lot you can do.

Cons

Can't do anything unless the owners say it's ok.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees a liltle. You're not the only smart people to work here.

"Worse Career Move !"

I worked at Hotels at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff members- non management

Cons

Micro management at it's best! Upper management constantly jumping in where they have no knowledge and take over your accounts when it suits them. No communication skills what so ever. Employees are not informed of decisions that affect them. Only certain people are told. Everything seems to be a secret. No promotions exist in this company. You are hired at a certain pay rate and position and will NEVER see a raise in your life. Management never has anything nice to say about your performance. However, if a mistake is made or there is an issue they are certain to harp on it and EVERYONE knows about it. Not one upper management offers to teach you or train you. They will verbally abuse you by calling you stupid or similar. Call center staff verbally abused and told they are lucky to have a job and there are hidden cameras in the ceiling by CSR's. They are monitored via computer in upper management office and if they do not cross their t's and dot the i's appropriately they are sent into office to be told off. Owners do not trust anyone. I would not be surprised if there are cameras or hidden mikes in the bathrooms. One upper management gets to practice putting golf balls behind closed doors and watches the stock market to see how much his money is making because he is part owner. Turn over is very high. Running joke is that no one wants to know your name until you made it past 3 months .NEGATIVE working atmosphere from most staff members. Speak to anyone and they will say that they are looking for another job. The list can go on. I made a mistake coming to this company. After 3 months I should have left. I have worked in the corporate world and this is far from professional .There is a reason why this company is a small company and will always be that way.

Advice to Management

You need an HR dept. You do not have any company holiday/ vacation lists- staff needs to ask if they get it off. There is no policy manual. Rule only apply to some- not all There is no training - provide it out of your pocket. Stop worrying about the almighty dollar. Expecting staff members to take over the slack in a department they are not qualified for is very unfair. We were hired to do one thing and we are expected to be involved in multiple departments including the warehouse and unloading trucks. Very unfair.