Hotels.com Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

3.8
Hotels.com President Johan Svanstrom
Johan Svanstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment and colleagues (in 15 reviews)

• The most amazing work life balance I've seen anywhere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge, especially for certain teams (in 4 reviews)

• left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best place for career starters!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing working environment (office location + terrace!)
    Nice people
    Flexibility in terms of working hours and of tasks
    Salary/Benefits

Cons

Honestly, only a few, including that learning curve can be a bit steep as the company is well-established!

"Great people poor management"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office in angel , good facilities , pool table , cycle lockers etc. Right by the tube station. Chapel market and exmouth market nearby

Cons

People are nice and helpful, but management is weak. Very short term focussed and lives on PowerPoint. Management has a fascination for PowerPoint junkies and forgets people who can get things done

Advice to Management

Please have proper career path for employees. Cut down the politics and focus on execution and delivery and stop copying the blue brand

3. "People mostly stay for 2-3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com (More than a year)

Pros

People are multicultural and mostly really nice. There are free drinks and coffee/tea dotted around the really cool office that features ping-pong tables, foosball, game arcades, F1 simulators, a really nice terrace etc. There is an event every week, be it a terrace BBQ, breakfast, someone's birthday...

If you are lucky, you will travel to the other offices and fully get to know how your team works. There are some very smart people working at Hotels.com and you are able to learn a lot from working alongside them.

The CEO is truly the center stone of this company. Johan is friendly, approachable and has huge charisma. Yet he is able to make himself heard when necessary.

Cons

The brand is very fragmented, resulting in 4 different brands depending on the regions, making cross-collaboration difficult. Most of the time everything comes from NA, which is slightly ironic since London is supposed to be the HQ.

One of the worst things is lack of resources. We are meant to make great things happen with a fraction of the people, budget and time of other companies. When working, we are running around putting out fires and reacting to things rather than taking the time to actively sit back and think out a proper plan.

All the positives are highlighted and distorted to impress upper management. Nobody stops to speak about learnings or fails.

You are given the impression that you are heard when you speak up about a pressing issue , and yet nothing really happens.

And lastly, the reason most people leave: lack of internal promotion. There is definite preference for hiring external people with a background in consultancy lately, when there are extremely good internal candidates for the job. The staff turnaround has become a lot faster in the past few months.

Advice to Management

Please make sure that "Go Global" is something you practice, not just talk about.

Being "scrappy" is all good and well in certain instances, but please be aware that great things need planning, budget and a substantial team of people working on them. Being scrappy and working 14h a day to attempt to get to everything burns even the most engaged of employees out.

Remember to stop smiling and patting yourself on the back and look at what isn't working. The feedback project is a start, but please be aware that your good intentions do not trickle down the teams. I have yet to receive any official feedback, despite asking for it multiple times.

Make managers discuss career paths with their teams and have timelines in place for when to expect promotion. I had nothing of the sort in all my years at Hotels.com

"Best place to work for"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Friendly management
    Freedom of creativity - flexible in how things are done and open to new ideas
    Lack of pecking order - very collaborative and your voice could be heard no matter what role in
    Team drinks
    The terrace :)

Cons

Could be difficult to keep up with the ever changing complicated matrix structure and inter-brand collaboration and competition
    Lack of structured onboarding process for new starters

Advice to Management

Keep it young, keep it fresh, keep it flexible

"Really don't know how it can be the best company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Nice offices in Angel
    - Good pay
    - Nice tech used
    - Plenty of work from home and flexible hours

Cons

- Platform and organisation in general will make you cry at a certain point
    - Bullish management that never gives promotions or pay rises, despite you meet your objectives
    - The company falsely advertises as easy to change position within... totally untrue. Manager will bully you if you try to move
    - American style relations with employees, that means you are an enemy and you must not have any problem
    - Any sort of recreation activities? Everyone keeps saying how fun it was before, then they go away

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, give chances to move around the company or to get promoted for real.

"Great Company - very weak management"

Former Employee - Fixed Term Contract in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fixed Term Contract in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting product, amazing office, great culture with a lot of events, great people to work with (exept management)

Cons

Very big in fixed term contracts within HR, high uncertainty if contracts will be renewed or not of leaving it until the last week before the contract ends.
    My line manager treated me very unfair during my time there, seeing me as a competition rather than support and clearly favoured one individual in her team. She was constantly late, however, she didn't miss a single chance to criticise and pulling her subordinates down, she also never distributed workloads fairly and does not lead by example.
    As a fixed term contractor you weren't getting half of the benefits of the permanent staff and it was never clear if you will be permanently employed in the future or what objectives you were required to complete in order to achieve it.

Advice to Management

Managers with leadership responsibility should only be in these positions if they have people skills and know how to manage fairly without blatantly abusing their position and job title, ultimately I left the company because of my boss even though I was very successful and appreciated by my stakeholders and other employees.

7. "I have been spoiled!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, intelligent, quality people
    Good work ethics, processes, and practises
    Learning opportunities
    Location
    The big terrace with the amazing view
    Communication between teams

Cons

Policy is for contractors not to be able to work from home at all, although perms can

Advice to Management

Let contractors work from home from time to time

"Not for long Term"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Startup culture, get to work with newest technologies, good Benefits

Cons

No Career Progression, Once you are hired that's all you'll remain at that level for really long time 4-5 years and by then either you will move on by your own.. or you'll lose the excitement. Fyi I am not one of those who is cribbing about not getting promotions.. but I am talking in general people here leave as they don't see any career progression.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, Have some plan for career progression, one can't be good and at same designation for his lifetime.

9. "Perfect place to work!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the atmosphere, I loved the team and the projects they assigned me.

Cons

Sometimes I felt a bit excluded, but I soon realized that it's totally up to you to be proactive and join any initiative

Advice to Management

Continue like this, you are a great company! I would love to come back and join you again

10. "Big company"

Former Employee - Big Data Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Big Data Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand, motivated staff and relaxed environment

Cons

It's a big company and it feels like it, it does not innovate much.

Advice to Management

It should be much more agile or the Bookings.com and Airbnb will disrupt them. On their favour, hotels.com is a great brand.