Hotels.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hotels.com President Johan Svanstrom
Johan Svanstrom
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work culture is amazing and work environment is relaxed (in 11 reviews)

• The most amazing work life balance I've seen anywhere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge, especially for certain teams (in 4 reviews)

• left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills (in 3 reviews)

"Great place if you work for the right team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, with good perks and decent hours.

Cons

Ego intensive culture. Every team is different and if you're fortunate, you work for someone who respects what you do and the talent you bring to the team. Unfortunately, there are too many managers who treat their team members like commodities and have no qualms about taking all the credit.

"It's not what it used to be."

Current Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co worker's on the phones were amazing. The pay is decent and free sodas and juice.

Cons

There has been too many changes and there is a lot a favoritism. They took away our monthly bonuses and what they are offering does not come close to what we should get. The Supervisors are never at work, always calling in, they seem to not get in trouble for not being at work. The whole atmosphere has changed, we can't even read a book at work.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, if you expect us to be at work and work as a team you should be our example.

Hotels.com Response

Feb 4, 2016 – Vice President & General Manager, North America

We’d like to thank you for your review of Hotels.com! You are an important and valued part of our call center operations. This feedback helps us evaluate and improve our organization.

"Poor Direction, Leadership and Strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are really good people trying to do good work at the staff level

Cons

The leadership in Dallas penalizes people that don't fit into a certain mold and have people operating on pins and needles. Leadership is belittling. They tend to promote and embrace consultants at the expense of talent coming from other disciplines. There are very few internal opportunities to advance without moving to Expedia in Bellevue or Hotels.com HQ in London. Lastly, there is no strategy for addressing the growth of Booking.com, especially in Canada.

Advice to Management

Take a genuine interest in the people and get a strategy to address Booking.com.

"not my cup of tea.."

Former Employee - Sales in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment, clean surroundings

Cons

what was promised in hiring and training did not pan out.

"Had to follow the PROCESS."

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the perks and commission, If you could hit the sales sitewide close %

Cons

You had to follow a process, a speech like in a few paragraphs and if you missed a key part and your supervisor happens to monitor that call you were wrote up. The training is so so

Advice to Management

Try to help employees make it a career, not a job

"STRESSFUL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

Pros

great salary
    descent overtime
    career advancement
    co-workers are friendly

Cons

poor management
    unreliable cpu systems and information

Advice to Management

ditch the script to improve sales
    customers call in to receive non-robotic help and they get a list of options like they would get from any automated service. not fair to hold workers accountable for missed sales due to poor operating system.

"Too many layoffs"

Former Employee - Financial Operations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Operations in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great benefits, pay is ok.

Cons

every year too many layoffs, management have no clue what they are doing, too much red tape.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees who actually do the work.

"What goes around..."

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Arlington, TX

Pros

if you love sales you can do very well. Very good benefits. Good PTO. Some good managers. Lots of incentives. Just layed off a whole call center, but at least gave them severance and PTO

Cons

Terrible senior mgmt. Aggresive sales goals and strict adherence to QA and AHT.Very inflexible about absences. Doing your best is never enough.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around. You hemorraged your best employees and now you are shut down. Make every effort to keep the good people you have, not beat them down at every turn for every little thing

"Hotels.com don't work here"

Current Employee - Telesales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Telesales Agent in Springfield, MO

Pros

Really laid back atmosphere. You can chew tobacco and work on the phones. Wear what you want to. Go out and smoke when you want to. Okay for people who are in school and plan on leaving in a year or so.

Cons

You get paid $0 for all of your sales if you are not within the 4% average for the center for days or nights, whichever shift you work. Base pay is a mere $9 per hour. You get calls from people who don't know you are Hotels.com. They hang up after they find out who you are much of the time. Company tends to put all the fault on the employees instead of making the pay grid better and easier to attain commission. No matter what the issue is, the company blames the employee and says the employee can do better. Many get fired for not meeting their goals which are made higher by people who cheat in the first place. Basically no feedback on performance and hardly any team meetings. No where to go here, dead end job. Building filthy, bathrooms cleaned once a week. System very slow on computers. Lot of chiefs, people who think they run the place

Advice to Management

Need to be in the employees' shoes and see what they have to deal with.

11. "Encourage Diversity"

I worked at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, the office has fantastic amenities, and the company is doing some great things to drive the industry forward.

Cons

It can be really hard to fit in if you aren't a part of the predominantly wealthy and non-religious culture. I was told once by a manager that I wasn't passionate enough about my work because I spent 10-15 minutes away from my desk each day for prayer and spent most of my evenings with my family and religious community rather than working longer hours into the night and weekends like many of my co-workers.

Advice to Management

If you expect employees' lives to revolve around their work without any kind of balance with other priorities, you should make that clear during the interview rather than saying you have great work-life balance. This is the 21st century and employees should feel comfortable practicing their faith and living a balanced life as long as it doesn't hinder job performance.