Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg
Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Plus, the travel benefits are awesome (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• Hotwire is a relatively small company, so there can be me lateral opportunities available than promotions (in 5 reviews)

"Culture, leadership, and company needs a rehaul"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

-Benefits are the same at Expedia

Cons

- Leadership has no idea what they are doing with people getting promoted and leading teams without any experience
    - No marketing chops across the org, with basic marketing 101 not in place
    - VP of Product really leads the org, Henrik's just a figure head
    - Don't expect culture, communication, and transparency to be like Expedia, it's not. Total joke
    - Poor leadership across the entire organization
    - Super political environment with people backstabbing each other, going around you to management to undermine you, and overall creating a very difficult environment to succeed. Plan to work 60-70 hours just to get work done because you're so busy managing internal politics.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership who actually know what they're doing

"Was good, then bad and getting worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The travel benefits, the opportunity of learning new technology because there was so much free time.

Cons

Hiring decision was unclear, some didn't even meet the basic criteria but still got the jobs and even survived the recent lay-off.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing re-org every 3 months and nothing will get done.

"N/A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire (More than a year)

Pros

The location is about all that's positive.

Cons

Poor work life balance.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Pros

There's a keg in the break room. Also, I was so bored that I had plenty of time to catch up on NPR.

Cons

First, on a wider scale: The company says they value innovation, but when new design, copy, or photo ideas are offered, they are immediately shut down. People become very defensive and complain about having to do extra work to make changes, and would rather stick to doing the bare minimum to get by. I was told during my interview that this was a place where change is embraced, but boooyyyy was that a gross exaggeration. I was literally told at one point that it wasn't my job to come up with new ideas--it was my job to deliver what was asked of me.

Business wise, the company is not doing so well. Years of refusing to innovate has really left them in the lurch, and they are constantly having to play catch up with competitors just to stay afloat, forget about being a leader in the industry. Departments do not communicate well with each other, which has created problems with achieving a consistent brand/product. People also seem to be leaving left and right, not to mention there is a hiring freeze despite a very urgent need for more people and resources.

Secondly, on a team scale: I worked with some pretty unprofessional people here (and this is a vast understatement). Sometimes I would be given a project and a teammate would say "thank God it's you and not me, that team/project sucks." Or project assignments would change and if I were assigned to a project they used to have, they would throw a fit. Seriously? Calm down. This team did NOT believe in working together. A lot of times I would offer new ideas to an individual, who would tell me that it's a great idea, and then I would suggest it in a meeting and that same individual would tell me it's horrible and do everything they could do to throw me under the bus. I am always open to constructive criticism, but I would also explain the logic behind my ideas/work so that they could get a better understanding of my suggestion---to which they would reply "well I just don't like it, but I don't have a good reason why." So it quickly became obvious to me that this was a matter of pettiness and nothing more. But apparently I wasn't the only person on the receiving end of this behavior: I constantly heard people talk about others behind their backs. Even on my first day of work. There is soooo much backstabbing and politics and negativity, which definitely is not the kind of environment I enjoy working in. I was also left to my own devices when I first started as my team did not bother to support me or welcome me in any way.

Needless to say, this negative attitude doesn't apply to every team/department, but it definitely exists within the company and in more than one team.

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on the people you hire--you don't want a culture of negativity, it just makes it harder to focus on what we're all trying to accomplish.

"Take other opportunities if you can!"

Pros

There is work life balance.

Cons

There is a widespread lack of trust in leadership. There are execs, managers, and directors who cannot be in the same room with each other. Engineering team manages to break things while trying to fix bugs. There are continuous unfixable issues that everyone begs the engineering team to fix and it drags forever due to the lack of leadership and a mediocre talent. Upper management only interested in their political standing in the organization and don’t care about the employee.

"It sucks"

Pros

Has a nice view of the city and chinatown.

Cons

Everything about it is a con. You name it. Management, HR, incompetent staff, even the ceo is out of ideas.

"Just plain awful"

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place is almost void of pros at this point, you can thank the new CEO directly.

Cons

Everything has become a con, oh how we miss the good old days from a few years ago. There is no hope of those days returning until the CEO is replaced or Expedia intervenes.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with someone that won't violate HR protocol on a regular basis and has some sense of the travel industry. It's truly frightening how much blatant disregard for general morality the current leadership team demonstrates.

"Poorly managed company with no product direction and bad culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in the financial district; solid ties with Expedia guarantee stability and job security no matter what; great work-life balance

Cons

Leadership changes have turned a great company into a poisonous one; executives spend time bad mouthing each other rather than trying to turn around an outdated product; turnover is very high and hiring is a challenge given the bad reputation within the Bay Area; employee morale is at its lowest, don’t be fooled by sudden waves of positive reviews…

"do not work there"

I have been working at Hotwire full-time

Pros

travel benefits, office central location

Cons

all the rest really is a con

"Not so hot"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented good people. Parties. The money they owe you does appear in your bank account.

Cons

A place still searching for some identity. No method to the madness. No process. Change of focus daily and a waterfall approach based on the whims of the CEO and stock holders. Daily 3 hour meetings that end with abrupt changes at the last minute. Poor leadership where everyone gets a say(no leadership) and there are no real timelines.

Advice to Management

Find a direction and stick to it.